Ye Old College Inn Restaurant And Club At 6545 South Main St.

HouNative56

Here's Valian, across from the Shamrock.

Valians.jpg

That particular Valian's looks like the building that was also the home of Sivil's Drive In and also one other drive-in that I am forgetting at the moment.... is that right?

• Like 1

That particular Valian's looks like the building that was also the home of Sivil's Drive In and also one other drive-in that I am forgetting at the moment.... is that right?

This looks like it was a nice Art Deco design. Strange mix with the cowboy theme.

In the early to mid 50's my parents went to a relative's anniversary dinner at Ye Olde College Inn.

There were 4 couples for dinner. The next day I heard her talking to a friend and she astoundingly reported that she saw the bill and it "was over $100.00". We can do that at Luby's when the grandkids are in town.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Valians.jpg

I don't remember it looking like that...Either the S. Main location or the Shepherd one...

Edited by Disastro

• 4 weeks later...
Valian's was the only pizza in town, when I was a kid...and it was the best!

Christie's on South Main had written on the west side of the building, "We serve Pizza Pie". We ate at Christie's often from the early 50s on, but I never had the pizza. In fact, I didn't even know what pizza was until much later.

• 9 years later...
On 11/6/2007 at 8:57 AM, westhu said:

In the early to mid 50's my parents went to a relative's anniversary dinner at Ye Olde College Inn.

There were 4 couples for dinner. The next day I heard her talking to a friend and she astoundingly reported that she saw the bill and it "was over $100.00". We can do that at Luby's when the grandkids are in town.

The Ye Olde College Inn  in the 1940s and 50s ( and probably the 30s, before I was born) was the special-treat restaurant. Their most fabulous mIn course was filet mignon with "scrubbed in their jackets" baked potatoes with 4-5 toppings--for $5. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Ye Old College Inn Restaurant And Club At 6545 South Main St.
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Found a great photo of the exterior of the building. Thought I would share.

From Rice University's The Campanile yearbook dated 1924.

Food Environment Service

Dine At Ye Old College Inn

Famous Steaks and Chicken Dinners

Dinner Dances for Clubs, Fraternities and Societies

Up 2o 200 At the Dancing Pavilion

A5YZIxl.jpg

RybZ0MW.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...