Wow, this is a pretty ambitious project, especially for sparsely populated Waller!

List of stores according to site plan: Wal-Mart, Super Target, Academy, Home Depot, a grocery store, a theatre, a hotel, a medical office complex, and about 20 fast food places.

I know it's located at 2920 & 290, but isn't this more of a pass-through area, rather than a "regional destination" type area?

There's so much farmland out there, but don't you need more of a densely populated concentration of local residents to make this fly?

Driving to see a customer recently, down 2920 from Tomball to Waller, I realized what a nice area it is. I suppose mrfootball is right. They'll be inside of Houston in a decade or so, and all of that lovely, open land will be gobbled up by strip centers and fast food joints.

Within 10 years, that won't be so far out anymore. The Houston metro will grow into it and beyond.

Sure it may be a viable market area in the next 10 years - but what stage of development is this project in?

If it gets built in the next year or two, it's hard to believe there are enough people in that area to sustain it until the area does eventually take off...

LMAO...I don't think anyone will be traveling from Pinehurst or Brenham. =P That doesn't make any sense!!

We certainly aren't in an "underserved" area of Montgomery County. Where is Pine Island?

<<Waller Town Center will serve the growing needs of families in Waller, Pine Island, Brenham, Pinehurst as well as underserved markets in developing Montgomery and Fort Bend counties.>>

Pine Island is a community across Hempstead Hwy/290 from Prairie View [be careful of the Prairie View police, they are well-known as agressive writers of speeding tickets. :) ] Guess Pine Island would be SW of 290, towards Katy, TX.

LMAO...I don't think anyone will be traveling from Pinehurst or Brenham. =P That doesn't make any sense!!

We certainly aren't in an "underserved" area of Montgomery County. Where is Pine Island?

<<Waller Town Center will serve the growing needs of families in Waller, Pine Island, Brenham, Pinehurst as well as underserved markets in developing Montgomery and Fort Bend counties.>>

don't underestimate the Prairie View spending power as with the lack of amenities the students, surrounding community and faculty are forced to spend money elsewhere in Houston...the Hempstead Wal-Mart never was a Super Wal-Mart and folks eventually stopped coming and drove to Cypress when it was built...

I went to PV and spent 4 years working there after I graduated...However, I refused to live out there due to no amenities and commuted from Tomball and then Willowbrook...students are realizing this now and alot live off Highway 6 as it allows them to work...

with the Grand Parkway coming and hoods popping up on both sides of it, that area will benefit from folks not wanting to drive into Cypress..

However, with a proposed 2010 completion date that's alot of square footage to fill out in an area that's probably 10 years from seeing a major explosion in population..is it the cart before the horse?

there's still no true "middle" class area to attract folks in droves once you leave Hockley.....there's a need for high-end apartments so keep younger professionals from living in Houston and decent priced housing to attract younger families.,.

• 2 months later...

I attened Prairie View A&M University located about 5 miles to the west of Waller. As I pass through Waller now on my way into Houston, I see similarities in it and the cities North of Dallas. It may seem like a little country town now, but as the Northwest continues to grow it will become one of those little charming citieis turned massive suburb, to contribute to the Urban Sprawl that Texas is becoming known for....

• 4 years later...
  • 5 months later...

I think when you figure in all the local communities including Waller and surrounding areas (Hockley, Prairie View, Hempstead, Pine Island, Pattison, Brookshire, Navasota) and probably some people trying to escape the traffic/buildup from Cypress (Cypress is just down the road from Waller Town Center site), their will be plenty of support with the proper marketing and getting the word out, so if people know its there they will come and shop, eat, and stay a while. SH 290 connecting Houston and Austin. FM 2920 running east/west from Interstate 45/Spring area west through Tomball and Rosehill to Waller. Lots planned according to map: cinema theatre, around 6 fast food, 11 restaurants, 3 hotels, 3 banks, 3 pharmacy/drug store, grocery store, sporting goods store, health club, Superstore, home improvement store, medical/office space and around 4 more 'anchor' stores, who knows what those could be. So, overall it sounds like an exciting project and 2013 is only 3-4 months away so I hope it gets here sooner than later so people won't have to drive anymore to Katy, Tomball, Cypress, Houston, Conroe, etc. Excited!

Waller is not one of those charming little Texas cities. It's just a stop in the road. I went to 2nd and 3rd grade there and still have family and friends around there. All that is happening is Cypress has no more large tracks of land so developers are moving up the freeway and buying up the ranches/farms around Waller/Hockley. So they need their Walgreens/Wal-Mart/Home Depot/Shell/Kohls/Supercuts/Chilis. Did I miss anything?

People will come from Hockley, Hempstead, Pattison, Prairie View, Pine Island - yes - because there is no alternative there.

They will not come from Brookshire or Navasota - this is nothing special. Navasota will still go to College Station - much more there and its closer and Brookshire will go to Sealy.

This is a big strip center that is needed in that area because it is a very fast growing area. It is not the second coming of downtown Houston.

• 1 year later...

This Waller Town Center has been talked about for years now. Developer site says its supposed to begin development in 2014. But the start dates have been pushed back on this project several times.  So if it actually does start in 2014 I guess it could be anywhere from jan to dec when it starts.  Waller needs more stores in general.  All they honestly have is one small grocery store and a couple dollar stores to speak of as far as shopping.  Hope this starts development soon.  :-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived