Temenos Place Phase I: Affordable Housing At 1719 Gray St.

goodlife

Per the ABC Channel 13 Website..... we have this wonderful news.....

"A groundbreaking ceremony was held Wednesday on the Knowles-Rowland Temenos Place apartments on Gray at Chenevert. It will eventually be a $4 million, 43 unit complex. The Survivor's Foundation donated $1 million. The city of Houston is providing the bulk of the funding, community development and housing."

What'cha y'all think 'bout this one.

• Like 1

What'cha y'all think 'bout this one.

the church they donate to at the pierce elevated has been supporting the homeless for quite a while now. there are at least 2 similar facilities in the area now. a friend from work volunteers at one.

Edited by musicman

Yes... the church does and that's good..... and I really do not disparage the "true" homeless.... It's just that the whole philosophy attracts more homeless...and that's a fact and the real sad story.... You attempt to help the truly sad stories and the "I ain't never worked a day in my life" shows up to steal our generosity.

That's the problem.....It really sounds great and nobody with any heart could be adverse to such a program......BUT JUST.......Tell me how to ensure that... Please tell me how the "I ain't never worked a day in my life" folks don't show up to steal our generosity.. I don't think you can.....It's just human nature that can not be denied........I would love to be wrong, but I am not? Please prove me wrong. More homeless are on the way!!!!!

People on the Chron comments section always bug me. They are acting like it's being built only for the Katrina Evacuees, like they are the only homeless in the city. I think the general population is too dumb to allow for posting comments at the end of every article.

People on the Chron comments section always bug me. They are acting like it's being built only for the Katrina Evacuees, like they are the only homeless in the city. I think the general population is too dumb to allow for posting comments at the end of every article.

What I do is I report, report, and report so that the hateful and racist comments are deleted. I notice that Chron.com is banning people, so we should help them get rid of the idiots.

LOL. if it were only that easy.

Some pregnant, drunken and/or high homeless woman chased us down Main (downtown) a few weeks ago threatening to kick my blonde ass. All we were doing was walking, she kept following and dogging us........Freaked me out. Hubby said he would have decked her if she wasn't pregnant.

Contributers and supporters of the project include Wal-Mart, American Express, Giorgio Armani and L'Oreal.

i read that too quickly at first - "contributing and supporting the project include Wal-Mart...Giorgio Armani..."

that would be a strange juxtaposition - and good lord - where would the wal-mart go? :P

Some pregnant, drunken and/or high homeless woman chased us down Main (downtown) a few weeks ago threatening to kick my blonde ass. All we were doing was walking, she kept following and dogging us........Freaked me out. Hubby said he would have decked her if she wasn't pregnant.

maybe it was the same lady i ran into on Travis near Cabo...asked for a cigarette, then food for her and her impending baby. she had her priorities all set.

Bring a friend with a videocamera next time. You should document how often this happens and who does this so that other people can know who to avoid. :)

I have a video camera built into my cell phone! The quality isn't great but it's good enough.

I hope you didn't give her a cigarette if she was pregnant...

i don't smoke - unfortunately, she was really wasted anyhow :(

i always have my camera on me (with video capabilities) but i wouldn't put it in the face of a drugged-out violent homeless person

LOL how often do you have a video camera with you?

I have a camera that can record video, but I have not used the video function. When I go back to Houston and go to take pictures, if I see something crazy, I might film it. One of my high school friends always brought a camera to school and often filmed at school.

EDIT: This thread shows why I agree about Chron.com - http://www.chron.com/disp/commnts.mpl/head...StampDescending

Look at all of these fools who are trying to turn this thread into a religion war orgy.

EDIT: A lot of the said posts were deleted - Chron.com is showing some muscle.

Edited by VicMan

Oh thats just fantastic!

I was hoping for a W hotel or something, but this is sooo much better!

This just further shows you that Knowles just does not care about the tax paying citizens in this city.

Mr. Knowles, how about paying your $15,398.90 in back taxes first on your Music World Property?

http://www.hctax.net/propertytax/deltax/De...t=1224190010001

Look at where the location is. It's kind of isolated in midtown, at least. It's not in the middle of all of the action. And so many people live under pierce elevated in that area anyways, I think it would be better if some of them had a roof over their head.

Furthermore, it's not just katrina evacuees, it's supposed to be for anybody who is homeless and actually trying to get back on their feet...

MAP

Look at where the location is. It's kind of isolated in midtown, at least. It's not in the middle of all of the action. And so many people live under pierce elevated in that area anyways, I think it would be better if some of them had a roof over their head.

there are at least 2 more also located "not in the middle of all the action." this is the side of midtown where more people actually own, not live in apartments.

i can't believe you guys think this is good news! think about the people that are gonna move in to midtown and be our neighbors. i'm sorry, but the residents of midtown would not mix well with katrina victims.
You may have missed the high degree of sarcasm in our responses.Beyond the scope of Midtown, shouldn't we help Katrina victims rebuild New Orleans, not Houston?I've made tons of new friends from New Orleans over the past two years and while most like Houston, they long for New Orleans. Most face the same chicken or the egg scenario of jobs and housing. The problem is many are still waiting for flood maps before they rebuild or raise up their houses. (This is for both homeowners and landlords) If something like this was built in New Orleans then you would find a great deal of interest in returning.Knowles is just enabling the continued government gravy train here in Houston, while at the same time not paying his taxes! Scumbag!"My name is Foxy Cleopatra and I've got a whole lot of back taxes!" Edited by midtownsteve

And so many people live under pierce elevated in that area anyways, I think it would be better if some of them had a roof over their head.

The Pierce Elevated would qualify as a roof over your head. Actually compared to the SouthWest Freeway the mix-master area of 59, 45 and the Pierce is quite nice. There are grassy knowles with potential for becoming a nice garden or something. Maybe food not bombs can plant some organic magical bean seeds and we can all ride the magic bean stalk to the giant's penthouse on top. Oops, sorry I must have taken a sip of the koolaid!

Knowles-Rowland Center for Youth Recreation Complex

WTF!?!

What is this going to be Beyonceland?

From the way I see it now that part of Midtown is already a Recreation Complex, cause I don't much of anything in the way of productivity going on over there!

What values will they impose on the "young impressionable youth" over there? (youth as being defined as ages 18 to 35)

Hand-eye cordination (aka hotwiring)

Accuracy and follow-through (one between the eyes and two more clustered around it)

Initive (jumping a tall fence)

Respect (not keying a SLK or M5)

Recycling (reclaiming a set of 20 inch rims)

Artistic Therapy (tagging)

Relaxation (no comment)

All to the tune of Beyonce's "Freakum Dress"

You know if this was going to be a freaking themepark then they should have just bought the old Astro/Waterworld park!