Au Fantome Monument At 1100 Louisiana St.

ricco67

It was just announced that the sculpture at 1100 Louisiana by Jean Dubuffet is going to be moved over to Discovery Green! It's going to be interesting to see where they put it, but it can easily be a focal point within the park to meet. I mean how can you miss it?

Talk about a major splash of color in the park!

It was just announced that the sculpture at 1100 Louisiana by Jean Dubuffet is going to be moved over to Discovery Green! It's going to be interesting to see where they put it, but it can easily be a focal point within the park to meet. I mean how can you miss it?

Talk about a major splash of color in the park!

I agree, this will be a great addition to Discovery Green

According to the article, it "will be moved to a plaza in the park along Avenida de las Americas, across from the convention center." The plan has always been for a plaza with a "monumental" art piece across the street from the center of the GRB, so I would imagine that's the location.

I work in this building. Can't say I'll really miss it. You actually hardly even notice it, but a lot of people do stop by and snap pictures.

They needs some plants and benches in its place.

What they have planned sounds even better: The plaza in front of the building will be redesigned with green space and water elements once the sculpture is removed later this year.

We got this email today:

The building ownership and Hines are working with a large group of consultants to redevelop the plaza. The new plaza will include a large water feature, extensive landscaping and outdoor seating; construction should begin in late October and we expect it to be completed by the Spring of 2008. Renderings of the project will be on display in the main lobby later this summer. We will provide you with additional information and project schedule updates as the project progresses.

• 2 months later...

that cool picture (the one from the middle of this sculpture looking up) from the 600 square mile show was timely. it (the sculpture) will certainly get more camera time at discovery green. i had hoped the park creators would commission new art.

• 2 weeks later...

Buh-bye:

Dear Tenants,

As you may have already noticed, the Dubuffet sculpture donation has been completed and it has been removed. Construction of the new plaza will begin this weekend (October 13 & 14) beginning with the installation of barrier fencing. The front door will remain accessible during the entire construction period during normal business hours. However, the exact route from the corner of Louisiana and Lamar will change periodically with construction phases. Directional signage will be installed to assist with way finding. We expect the project to be completed by May 1, 2008; it is a large complex project and ask for your patience while we work to improve the building environment. We will place renderings of the new plaza design in the lobby late next week for viewing.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to call the management office at (713) 759-9923.

Does anybody know exactly what the new plaza will look like? Are they building a fountain of some sort, or is that just speculation.

I noticed the sculpture was gone when I walked by Saturday...

When the building owners and management announced this earlier this year, they said it would include a "large water feature." Presumably, that is still the case.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Monument Au Fantome On The Move
  • The title was changed to Au Fantome Monument At 1100 Louisiana St.