classy albums

musicman

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

00000000000000010467-800x800_72dpi_RGB.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Vinton

Listen to the lyrics in each song and whisper them in to your girlfriend or wives ear and see what happens. You won't leave the house for a few days. :D:ph34r:

With lyrics like:

Forgive me for wanting you so,

But one thing I want you to know,

I've loved you since heaven knows when,

There! I've said it again.

Watch out!

try his South of the Border album. while more of his well known songs aren't found here, this is an enjoyable album.

Herb A. has always been ahead of his time. I still remember hearing Tijuana Taxi as the theme for The Dating Game. As soon as it started playing we kids would start dancing to it! The jerk, the swim, etc. Simply 60's! :P

I am pretty sure he also helped create A & M records and made stars out of some like The Carpenters. he still produces modern music to this day. We worship.

Herb Alpert & Tijuana brass 45 record connected to my Sansui AU -777 with two Cerwin Vega 18's :lol:

Santana - Moonflower album.

Fleetwood Mac's - Hypnotized (1st album)

Blue Oyster Cult - Agents of Fortune

i went to my nephew's recital recently (he's learning drums) and kinda chuckled. his teacher harassed him for being too showy (he's nine and claimed "i saw it on tv" when he flipped his stick). well i gave him a dave brubecik cd and he called me this evening and wants to play the drum part on take five. i laughed initially and now am stressed i have to learn the piano part.

!

i went to my nephew's recital recently (he's learning drums) and kinda chuckled. his teacher harassed him for being too showy (he's nine and claimed "i saw it on tv" when he flipped his stick). well i gave him a dave brubecik cd and he called me this evening and wants to play the drum part on take five. i laughed initially and now am stressed i have to learn the piano part.

!

Now he just needs to learn the drum solo from Iron Butterflys Inna Gadda Da Vida and hes all set.

Guest Marty

I have about everything made between 1955 - 1975 pretty much scratch free some still have the plastic on them like Jim Croce life and times album . but my 1980's records are cracked or it skips.

There is a new artist named Michael Buble, who scarily sounds just like Sinatra. It is NOT an impersonation, he just sounds like Frank when he sings. Buble is really good.

"Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" and "Abbey Road" by The Beatles were two classic albums.

I just noticed Bernard Herrmann on here. I love Bernard Herrmann's scores.

Coincidentally, Last night I was viewing one of my fav Twiight Zone DVDs and B Herrmanns name was in the titles at the beginning of the film. So not only did he work with Sir Alfred Hitchcock on now infamous pictures he also worked with Rod Serling for Twilight Zone. I listened real close to the score as the show went on and it made such an impact on the drama on screen. The piercing violins and full orchestra, much too much. The carousel scene is the best part IMO. I'm still blown away. :wacko:

By the way the film was a short called "Within Walking Distance" my all time fav. Holding back the tears. :(

Trivia:

The park in the episode is said to be inspired by Recreation Park in Rod Serling's hometown of Binghamton, New York. Like the park in "Walking Distance", Recreation Park has a carousel and a bandstand. There is a plaque in the Recreation Park bandstand commemorating the episode.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0734689/

Micheal Buble has some of the best new classy/romantic music out today.

i have to put diana krall ahead of him. PLUS she can play the piano too. interesting enough, she's married to elvis costello.

Vertigo58:

Coincidentally, Last night I was viewing one of my fav Twiight Zone DVDs and B Herrmanns name was in the titles at the beginning of the film. So not only did he work with Sir Alfred Hitchcock on now infamous pictures he also worked with Rod Serling for Twilight Zone. I listened real close to the score as the show went on and it made such an impact on the drama on screen. The piercing violins and full orchestra, much too much. The carousel scene is the best part IMO. I'm still blown away.

By the way the film was a short called "Within Walking Distance" my all time fav. Holding back the tears.

Trivia:

The park in the episode is said to be inspired by Recreation Park in Rod Serling's hometown of Binghamton, New York. Like the park in "Walking Distance", Recreation Park has a carousel and a bandstand. There is a plaque in the Recreation Park bandstand commemorating the episode.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0734689/]

Vertigo, I think you would enjoy this CD:

411NZ5ZAFQL._AA240_.jpg

You can listen to clips here; it includes "Walking Distance":

http://www.amazon.com/Bernard-Herrmann-Twi...4439&sr=1-1

I ordered it several years ago.

I'm always hoping a similar CD will be released with Hermann's scores from "The Alfred Hitchcock Hour", but considering that show is not as widely seen in syndication or as popular at "The Twilight Zone", I don't expect one anytime in the near future.

He did some excellent work for the Hitchcock TV series: "The Jar", "Where The Woodbine Twineth", etc. I wish I could get my hands on the isolated scores.

i have to put diana krall ahead of him. PLUS she can play the piano too. interesting enough, she's married to elvis costello.

I just listened to a few of her tunes on Amazon. Very good! Thanks! She reminds me of one of my favorites from the 50's... June Christy.

I just listened to a few of her tunes on Amazon. Very good! Thanks! She reminds me of one of my favorites from the 50's... June Christy.

you might try the look of love. it is her at the piano led by a claus ogerman heavily stringed orchestra. June is good too. i think her rendition of Midnight Sun is probably the definitive version IMO.

my mom found an album that she thought i would like. Harry Nilsson's As time goes by is a classic i must recommend. I just finished listening to it and am starting it over.....please add to the list for me.

I've only just got around to scanning through this thread. I strongly concur with mentions of the Moody Blues (although some of the interludes and lyrics on their albums are self-centered and preachy), Santana, mid- and late-Beatles, and early Fleetwood Mac.

In addition, all Hendrix is good, most Zeppelin is good, and most Janis Joplin is good. I especially like Joplin's cover of "Summertime"...it's good for sitting beside a slow-moving river in the shade and humidity. In my mind, 13th Floor Elevators were also highly influential. Their first two albums, but especially Easter Everywhere, are favorites. Even though Roky was largely absent from the last album, Bull of the Woods, I do like the funky stuff that Stacy Sutherland played.

you might try the look of love. it is her at the piano led by a claus ogerman heavily stringed orchestra. June is good too. i think her rendition of Midnight Sun is probably the definitive version IMO.

I almost thought I was listening to Julie London when I heard her Cry Me a River sample. Julie was another of my faves.

I almost thought I was listening to Julie London when I heard her Cry Me a River sample.
i never thought about that but could see the resemblance. my first exposure to Julie London was the nurse mcCall character on Emergency. way after the fact i also realized that her husband on the show was jazz great bobby troup who wrote route 66, made famous by nat cole. _979525_london_300.jpg

i never thought about that but could see the resemblance. my first exposure to Julie London was the nurse mcCall character on Emergency. way after the fact i also realized that her husband on the show was jazz great bobby troup who wrote route 66, made famous by nat cole. _979525_london_300.jpg

She was also married to Jack Webb of Dragnet fame.

Vertigo, I think you would enjoy this CD:

411NZ5ZAFQL._AA240_.jpg

You can listen to clips here; it includes "Walking Distance":

http://www.amazon.com/Bernard-Herrmann-Twi...4439&sr=1-1

I ordered it several years ago.

I'm always hoping a similar CD will be released with Hermann's scores from "The Alfred Hitchcock Hour", but considering that show is not as widely seen in syndication or as popular at "The Twilight Zone", I don't expect one anytime in the near future.

He did some excellent work for the Hitchcock TV series: "The Jar", "Where The Woodbine Twineth", etc. I wish I could get my hands on the isolated scores.

Unbelievable! I had no idea this even existed. Thanks!

PS, if you get desperate and cannot find the items you mentioned either go in person to any Barnes & Noble or simply call and they can order the music you want at no extra cost. Then also you will never beleive what treasures you can find at Half Price Books.

I found a very rare DVD the other day The Ramones Rock N Roll High School. I thought I was seeing things when I spotted it! only $6.00 bux, I slammed my $ down and fled out the door. :D

Vertigo, have you heard "Twisted Nerve"? It instantly became one of my favorite Hermann pieces when I heard it months ago. It was a theme written for a '60s movie of the same name; a movie about a mentally retarted boy who kills people. It starred Haley Mills. Apparently it was too controversial and wasn't realeased in the U.S. The tune became popular when it was used in one of the "Kill Bill" movies years later. I've never seen either film, but I love the song.

You can hear it here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1xZVTps2PH8

i've been listening to my antonio carlos jobim cds recently. perfect, laid back, 90 degree free AC kinda music. bossa nova is way cool. B)

he's probably the king of bossa nova. for those scared to buy something all instrumental but like sinatra, try Francis Albert Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim. it pairs a frank and antonio with standards (both american and brazilian) backed by a latin flavored orchestra lead by Claus Ogerman. Very relaxing!

Archived