Sugar Land, Avalon Video Tour Please Review Me

In an effort to develop the Web 2.0 tools for the next generation of Real Estate here is one of our first attempts at in house video production. These types of videos are intended to promote the area and make it easier to promote the city to potential relocatees. Yes, the video is not ready for [Prime time. However, for what most agents can offer to out of town clients we are happy with the initial level. In the future we are expanding our reach out of Sugar Land and shooting for other areas in the city. If you do not mind providing a brief review I would appreciate it.

http://www.wellcomemat.com/HoustonRealEstate

Christopher Hurley

www.sugarlandrelocation.com

welcome to the boards. I think the video was pretty good, seems like you used a few mac features that I enjoy. It was pretty good, the only little adjustment was the unstead camera. Overall it was pretty good, and as a person looknig for relocation, much more informative than regular websites with just photos.

In an effort to develop the Web 2.0 tools for the next generation of Real Estate here is one of our first attempts at in house video production. These types of videos are intended to promote the area and make it easier to promote the city to potential relocatees. Yes, the video is not ready for [Prime time. However, for what most agents can offer to out of town clients we are happy with the initial level. In the future we are expanding our reach out of Sugar Land and shooting for other areas in the city. If you do not mind providing a brief review I would appreciate it.

http://www.wellcomemat.com/HoustonRealEstate

Christopher Hurley

I like the idea, you could definitely make videos to showcase different areas of town and or developments. Here are some tips that I can come up with:

1) Less is more. I'd cut the video in half. I don't think your target audience would sit to watch this video for the full 4 minutes. Take your cue from youtube, most videos are 2 minutes or less.

2) Instead of zooming in and out on the retailers signs, just take snapshots and quickly cycle through them.

3) Buy a camera with steady shot or at least re-shoot with the camera on a tripod. The shakiness of the video is the least professional part. The video effects work well though.

4) I might add in some nighttime shots.

5) Set the music to continue through the entire video. This shouldn't be a problem if you cut the video time.

Good luck! I think you've got a good business idea. Welcome to the forum!

Its amazing what iMovie can do. Here's some thoughts from a fellow video enthusiast..

1. As mentioned above, get a tripod. If you plan on making more videos, then get a good one. One with a fluid head is a must. You can't go wrong with a Bogen/Manfrotto.

2. Edit, Edit, Edit. Cut that over-all length, and watch those music cues.

3. Purchase (or rent) a decent lapel mic setup, and instead of showing a picture of yourself, introduce yourself with a shot live from the towncenter. I'd recomend a tight shot of Sam Houston and then smoothly pan down and across to fill the shot with you slowly walking in front of the fountain. This would be a perfect segue from those canned intro titles you begin the video with.

4. Play with the titling some. Seeing as how you're using a Mac, you're somewhat limited, but you can still get the job done.

5. Your voice-over was good, but the recording was not. Since you're using a Mac, try using Audacity to clean your audio up. Its a free download.

Good Luck.

Thanks so much for the quick feedback.

This was my first post and unfortunately I directed you to one of our origional efforts several weeks ago as the clip to review. I will post another couple for review if you do not mind the the comming days that are a slight step above.

TRIPOD--YES

Personal Intro-??? Not sure I am confident with the copy writing. I have seen many other videos on Wellcomemat from NY and I do not like the "er"-"um" script or non script that is natural when you are doing a intro without a prewritten ad copy. Just my hang up at this time.

Mic--I am now using the Snowball as my mic and I think the audio will be improved.

Music- Trying to sync the change in photos/vids with a track change. Still a learning curve though.

I am still stuck on the PC but I do love the MAC for this stuff.

Thanks again.

If you see a guy driving around your neighborhood with a video camera please donlt be afraid. :)

Can I embed the video into the posts? I tried with HTML w/o success.

Christopher Hurley

What equipment are you using? (e.g.Camera - video and digital, microphone, tripod, editing software - video and picture, etc..)

Okay, you say you're using PC, but those intro titles come stock with iMovie on the Mac. Is there another PC program with them too? (I ask only because I'd like to have it!)

Believe it or not, PC's come better equipped for most entry level editing. Software like Pinnacle Studio, Sony Vegas, or Adobe Premiere Elements have all you'll ever need. They also offer more audio tracking features than the iMovie software does as well.

As for confidence, you need to find it - and fast. All it takes is: "Hi, I'm Chris Hurley and I want to welcome ________.com, your online resource for finding everything there is to know about your future home - Sugar Land Texas. Sit back and relax for the next few minutes as I show you what amenities this wonderful town has to offer you as a future resident.."

This way, you can narrarate the video and the audience will feel connected to you, as if the tour is more personal. Also, if you are doing business in person, then these potential clients will already know a familiar face (and voice) when they finally meet you. This always helps your sales pitch. It shows you know what you're talking about, and that you have experience.

For future reference, be prepared to show the bad side of Sugar Land. Granted it's not much, but honesty is the best policy. I hate when realtors (car, electronics, and appliance salesmen too for that matter) try to sell us something we know more about than they do. If someone is buying in New Territory, be prepared to give them honest answers about the SH6 & HWY90 construction. Drive the area and find alternate routes they can use. Giving them all this will help remove any doubts they might have after the showing. They might say to themselves: "..well there are alternate routes that he knew about, and he said the construction would only be for another __ years."

Just my thoughts.. Again, Good Luck.

• The title was changed to Sugar Land, Avalon Video Tour Please Review Me

Archived