"Watch" me flip *Another* House

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Perhaps this is a stupid question, but I'll ask it anyway - Assuming I have an understanding of all of the items in the contract, and I have filled out the form to suit my preferences, can I "cheat the system" by directly submitting it to the seller, or their agent? Seems like a good way to save 3% on the sale price through the elimination of the Buyer's Agent...

You can do that, but it is really more useful in practice with an FSBO deal than with you being the buyer. As a buyer, you should try to scout out homes that you like but that aren't listed and then do a lot of cold calling. If you can arrange a transaction between you and a prospective seller without using Realtors, you can each save a lot of money.

Note that there are no contracts for commercial property on the TREC website. TREC is consumer-oriented. If you come across a commercial contract, it is probably from the Texas Association of Realtors and non-Realtors cannot legally use it; do not recycle one no matter how tempting.

IMG_1514-1.jpg

So...does anyone know where one might be able to find toilet paper dispensers like this one...but in bronze? We have one in my bathroom but aren't ready to tear the whole thing up, but would like to 're-face' it a little. I know it's a long shot but any help would be appreciated greatly.

http://"

So...does anyone know where one might be able to find toilet paper dispensers like this one...but in bronze? We have one in my bathroom but aren't ready to tear the whole thing up, but would like to 're-face' it a little. I know it's a long shot but any help would be appreciated greatly.

Try the big box stores and if they don't have it try westheimer plumbing or one of the supply places on richmond by the RR trax.

flipper

Try the big box stores and if they don't have it try westheimer plumbing or one of the supply places on richmond by the RR trax.

flipper

WRD, they have everything right there on richmond; lighting, hardware, a&e, architecture firm, plumbing etc..

i dont know if this would be an option for you but if you absolutely can't find one you might want to consider powder coating. they now have special powdercoat that looks like chrome, smoked chrome, and bronze. powder coating is real popular right now for rims, but it can def. be used on ur application also.

WRD, they have everything right there on richmond; lighting, hardware, a&e, architecture firm, plumbing etc..

i dont know if this would be an option for you but if you absolutely can't find one you might want to consider powder coating. they now have special powdercoat that looks like chrome, smoked chrome, and bronze. powder coating is real popular right now for rims, but it can def. be used on ur application also.

Huh...never would have thought of that. Thanks guys.

I graduated college in 2000 and went to work selling insurance for Liberty Mutual. I did that for a couple years and hated it. I started reading a couple books on real estate and visiting some online resources and was pretty fired up.

I quit that job to give real estate a try full time. I didn't really set out to rehab houses right off the bat. I was going to focus on finding houses and assigning contracts to other investors.

It was really tough to get started but I eventually found a house I was able to get under contract and sell for $4,000 more.

Then I hooked up with my uncle who is a respected custom builder in the inner loop. We found a house to rehab in Maplewood South and partnered up. It was a disaster and we didn't make anything on it, but I learned a ton.

I kinda shadowed my uncle for a while, stopping by his houses all the time and learning about construction by looking around and asking his superintendant questions.

Then we found another house, this one in Houston Country Club Place. We actually planned to live in the house, so it wasn't really a risky rehab. We fixed it up to our taste, using lots of my uncles subcontractors. But we decided we didn't want to live there after we finished it so we put it up for sale and made good money on it.

Over the next few years we found some houses to wholesale and some to rehab. It hasn't always been easy not knowing when the next time you are going to make money though.

We are at the point now where my wife works with me full time and we do a lot of marketing and have established a little niche in our area where a few realtors know who we are and bring us deals occassionally.

So to answer your question, I had ZERO construction experience and Little to Zero real estate knowledge when I got started (I didn't know what the word "escrow" meant). I've really just gained experience over the last 5 years.

As far as working as a GC.... We get approached a few times a year about this. The only house we've done like this was for some friends who bought a house and we fixed it up before they moved into it. We did it for a flat fee and it worked well. I would probably on do this kind of arrangement with someone I knew, and was NOT going to living in the house. We are probably losing money by not doing these deals, but honestly I don't want the headaches :)

flipper

wow, you're a young guy. good job on figuring it out quickly. interestingly enough, everyone i know who has been successful at flipping has had an "in" of some sort - an uncle who is a builder, a relative with a $1MM line of credit, access to contractors at non-retail rates, etc. i can see i'm going to have to network more to get from here (which is pretty comfy) to there (which seems comfy and fun.)

you don't know me... yet. and i was referring to GC for investment purposes (although i do have a kitchen and a bathroom i need some work on!).

keep up the good work. i'll be watching, reading, and (hopefully) learning.

• 4 weeks later...
Bees at tonawanda!

Judging from the pics, that was a pretty serious hive. Too bad you had to pay an exterminator, though; as I posted in another thread, you might have been able to get someone affiliated with the Houston Beekeepers Association to remove the hive and the bees at no charge. There are plenty of hobbyist beekeepers who would jump at the chance to collect a hive of that size.

Judging from the pics, that was a pretty serious hive. Too bad you had to pay an exterminator, though; as I posted in another thread, you might have been able to get someone affiliated with the Houston Beekeepers Association to remove the hive and the bees at no charge. There are plenty of hobbyist beekeepers who would jump at the chance to collect a hive of that size.

Ya know, I actually thought about that and even went to their website.

After thinking about it more though, I didn't want to assume the risk of letting a citizen type person come in swinging the sledge and possibly get hurt.

Sometimes it's all about getting it done with the quickness with the least amount of risk.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

flipper

Guest Marty
IMG_1542.jpg

When i was to short to see into the mirror/cabinet that was about 5+ feet high i used one of those too brush my teeth and keep my toothpaste in.

That memory slip my mind until i saw that pic. :D

what's a license with "TREC"?

It's his license to make a killing.

The Texas Real Estate Commisssion (TREC) requires that people be licensed in order to sell homes as intermediaries that collect commission on real estate transactions. Comes in handy.

• 3 weeks later...
Despite my lack of updating the blog, we managed to finish the house.

HAR Link

flipper

Congrats on another project finished.

I like the look of those French doors from the inside. They looked like black enamel, but the caption seemed to indicate stained wood. Either way, the dark accent looks nice.

Has the market slowed down in Houston at all? Out here in California, things are still going strong in select locations in Silicon Valley.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. Flipper now has an active license with TREC :) Muhahahah

flipper

hey flipper, can u give more specifics on where u went to get this licence?

i know there are several places like community colleges and what not, but i noticed there are places that are like trade schools that also offer classes to get licensed. would you recommend the place you attended?

and congrats on the flip!!

hey flipper, can u give more specifics on where u went to get this licence?

i know there are several places like community colleges and what not, but i noticed there are places that are like trade schools that also offer classes to get licensed. would you recommend the place you attended?

and congrats on the flip!!

I actually did the whole process on the interweb. The only thing you have to do in person is take the final test!

http://www.celi-edu.com/

flipper

Buyer backed out! We wouldn't agree to a HUGE repair allowance for them to rewire the whole house with romex (some plugs are still 2 prong), and replace all galvanized plumbing with copper.

Another offer coming in allegedly...

flipper

Buyer backed out! We wouldn't agree to a HUGE repair allowance for them to rewire the whole house with romex (some plugs are still 2 prong), and replace all galvanized plumbing with copper.

Another offer coming in allegedly...

flipper

Can't say I blame them. Grounded receptacles are considered a big deal by some. Why didn't you just rewire the house when you had all the drywall ripped out?

Can't say I blame them. Grounded receptacles are considered a big deal by some. Why didn't you just rewire the house when you had all the drywall ripped out?

I had to get mine rewired or the insurance company wouldn't insure me.

Archived