What Brought You To Houston?

midtown_resident

What brought you to Houston?

I noticed that 'editor' mentioned in a nother thread that his/her move was in 1999...that's when I moved here as well. The strong IT industry of the late 90s moved me here...and much of my work was with the venerable Enron, who seemed to be the most outstanding organization in the world at that time. Over the past 6 years, I've lived in downtown and midtown and grown to appreciate the development in these areas. I'm contemplating a move back to the east coast - but the spoils of the cost of living in Houston are maintaining my footing for now.

I've noteiced that the area where we live, midtown, has a ton of imports...both from domestic and international originations.

I moved to Houston in 1999 as a job transfer from Cincinnati. I was bored with Cinciannti career-wise. I had learned everything I could about my particular industry in that town and needed a larger challenge. Not that Cincinnati isn't nice -- it's a great place to be a 20-something. But once you're past the sports bars phase of your life, there's not much left to do.

My PhD work went south when my engineer got nabbed for building hydroponic systems in the same lab as my instruments... so I cut loose from Boston and landed in Houston when a buddy of mine in south america hooked me up with the now defunct Western Geophysical. 1998.

A large retirement services company called me up during my last semester of college last year, and wanted me to come interview. I did, they offered me a job, I accepted, and packed up and moved here from Nacogdoches, TX....didn't move too far compared to some of you guys. I love pretty much everything about Houston, except for the price of real estate for anything decent, and close to work, and the lack of trees....well....compared to East Texas anyways....

Personal choice. I grew up in the tropical oasis of Miami, Florida, a great place for young, wealthy urban-minded people, but not a realistic locale for everyone else (that is, anyone who isn't earning high six and seven dollar figures). In any case, there were some other cities that grabbed my attention, but Houston won out because it still had the southern charm, the vibrant economy, the cultural pursuits and the potential for a great price.

Chicago was too expensive and a bit too crowded, for example.

I'm also not one to follow the crowd, so while a lot of the peeps I grew up with were running to Atlanta, Washington and New York, I wanted to do something different.

This is delightfully different, IMO.

I moved here in January 2000 to take a job offer. Before that I had moved back to the small East Texas town where I grew up after graduating from college in 1996 to work for my dad's business for a few years. In late 1999 I began looking to relocate to Houston, as I'm definitely not the small town type. My mother grew up in Houston and I've always had family here, and spent a lot of time here in my younger years, so this was somewhat of a natural choice for me. I really love the city, although I will say that with my current unemployment situation I've considered relocating again, probably to a northern city. However the only way that would happen is if I were to get a job offer that included a paid relocation, so odds are I'll be staying in Houston a while longer.

I lived in Houston first after my father was transferred here (worked for an oil company). Later I took a job on the east coast for a couple of years, but returned to Houston in 1996 after I was offered a job here. I was so happy to return, since I am one of the few enjoys Houston weather! :D

My father was transferred here n 71. And he brought my mom and I along from New Orleans. My sister is a born native. I moved to Seattle in 92 and came back here in 95 when the economy collapsed up there and brought my wife with me. I guess I am here to stay now.

I was born in Oakland, the sunnyside of the Bay Area. And lived there with my mother up till I was 12. It was slowly getting expensive to live in the Bay anymore around the late 1990s, so we relocated to Texas, as I also have family down here too. I relocated to Houston from a suburb outside Austin after graduating high school to go to college here in Houston. Right now I go to HCCS, and is about to transfer to Texas Southern, if I choose to stay here a little longer. Working on my Associate in ARts degree, but with Urban Cities as a side interest, I could go back to college later on in my life just to give me something to fall back on.

Archived