New Forum Category for Washington Ave.

museum chick

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We do have a thread for Washington Ave.. It may be too close to Memorial and the Heights to have it's own forum. :unsure:

I have always considered Washington Ave. it's own small area... between Montrose, The Heights and Memorial Park. It really is a booming area... I know my gym is moving from Montrose to a place right on Washington Ave. this summer.

Isn't Washington Ave technically the southern boundary of the Heights? Personally I consider the Heights to be north of I-10, but I thought the neighborhood 'officially' extends to Washington....

That might be true... but I have also always considered the Heights to be north of I10, especially since that when you come under I10 on Heights Blvd there is the "Houston Heights" sign welcoming you to the neighborhood.

I'm not sure we've had enough Washington Avenue topics to justify its own category yet. I'm not quite sure if it should fall under Heights, Other Neighborhoods, or what.

I think the neighborhood associations have tried to consolidate or promote the area as the Old West End.

To include Sixth Ward, Brunner, Rice Military, et al.

I think the neighborhood associations have tried to consolidate or promote the area as the Old West End.

To include Sixth Ward, Brunner, Rice Military, et al.

That sounds like a good idea to give some identity to that whole stretch between I-10, Downtown, Buffalo Bayou, and Memorial Park.

I have always considered Washington Ave. it's own small area... between Montrose, The Heights and Memorial Park. It really is a booming area... I know my gym is moving from Montrose to a place right on Washington Ave. this summer.
Isn't Washington Ave technically the southern boundary of the Heights? Personally I consider the Heights to be north of I-10, but I thought the neighborhood 'officially' extends to Washington....
That might be true... but I have also always considered the Heights to be north of I10, especially since that when you come under I10 on Heights Blvd there is the "Houston Heights" sign welcoming you to the neighborhood.

I've always considered Studemont north of I-10 the heights, but the "memorial Heights" and other apartments in the area like to steal the "heights" name, even though I think they're right on, but not accessible to Memorial Dr.

So it's going by "military" or something like that? I believe that it would probably be best to call it the "Washington Corridor" or something along those lines. Could be time to call up the old maps to see if something could be gleaned as far as the original names go, but I don't hold out much hope for that.

I've always considered Studemont north of I-10 the heights, but the "memorial Heights" and other apartments in the area like to steal the "heights" name, even though I think they're right on, but not accessible to Memorial Dr.

So it's going by "military" or something like that? I believe that it would probably be best to call it the "Washington Corridor" or something along those lines. Could be time to call up the old maps to see if something could be gleaned as far as the original names go, but I don't hold out much hope for that.

I always refer to the area along Washington Ave. as "The Washington Ave. area". Not original... but it's just what I say. :blush:

I belong to the same gym but that space on Washington is going to need a LOT of work and buildout before any business can occupy there. Summer is awfully optimistic. Back on the topic, I also vote for Washington to have its own forum category. I've never considered it part of the Heights. And before this year I'd never even heard the term "Rice Military" - and I lived right in the middle of it!

Here are a couple websites for the neighborhoods within the Washington corridor.

http://www.ricemilitary.org/index.htm

http://www.old6ward.org/frontporch.htm

Becoming active in any neighborhood thats undergoing such a dramatic transformation is always a good thing...

I heard of Rice military, but I didn't know of the location.

Should be interesting what the names will morph into. It probably won't be settled for a number of years. I mean, who truly knows how long it took for the "montrose" to get it's name as well as some of the other neighborhoods.

I don't think neither really qualifies. I'm beginning to like "washington corridor". "Washington district" doesn't really seem to apply.

I belong to the same gym but that space on Washington is going to need a LOT of work and buildout before any business can occupy there. Summer is awfully optimistic. Back on the topic, I also vote for Washington to have its own forum category. I've never considered it part of the Heights. And before this year I'd never even heard the term "Rice Military" - and I lived right in the middle of it!

Yea, I agree, they better start working. I did see, however, guys doing some sort of work last time I drove by... so maybe they are starting.

Gnu mentioned the names of some of the neighborhoods. As far as I know there was never a name for the whole area however. I like the idea of calling it the West End, since it sounds broader than any of the specific neighborhood names (Rice Military, 6th Ward, Brunner, etc). I don't like the "corridor" names, since it is more than just Washington Ave. It would be like calling Midtown the "Main Street Corridor". It sounds a bit forced perhaps.

I just refer to it as the "Washington Ave. Area" as well. It's simple but it works. Unless there can be some real historical significance tied to the name or an obviously geography, I find many new neighborhood names to be overly pretentious... just like condo buildings. And while some parts of the Washington Ave. area definitely have historical names, there really isn't one I can think of to tie it all together. I think someone mentioned the Old West End and I think that is a simple but good name for the overall area as well, perhaps better than just one street name.

Don't guess I can sell anyone on resurrecting "Smokytown"...

It's hard with Washington Ave. because it's a long street that passes through a number of neighborhoods - some with more of an independent identity than others, granted, but still. I think just "Washington Avenue" has a nice ring to it.

Don't guess I can sell anyone on resurrecting "Smokytown"...

It's hard with Washington Ave. because it's a long street that passes through a number of neighborhoods - some with more of an independent identity than others, granted, but still. I think just "Washington Avenue" has a nice ring to it.

Yeah, it goes through a lot of neighborhoods, but it tends not to divide them almost at all. That is why I kind of agree that the Washington Avenue area should be thought of as a corridor. The neighborhoods along it retain their own identity, seperate from the commercial areas.

Yeah, it goes through a lot of neighborhoods, but it tends not to divide them almost at all. That is why I kind of agree that the Washington Avenue area should be thought of as a corridor. The neighborhoods along it retain their own identity, seperate from the commercial areas.

And then there's also the problem Subdude mentioned of "Washington Avenue" not encompassing anything other than the street itself...

Maybe the Washington Ave. District? Like the Upper Kirby District? Or would people balk at living in the WAD?

And then there's also the problem Subdude mentioned of "Washington Avenue" not encompassing anything other than the street itself...

Maybe the Washington Ave. District? Like the Upper Kirby District? Or would people balk at living in the WAD?

Well we already have an Almeda / OST TIRZ that is very specifically oriented at the commercial corridors and pretty much nothing else at all. Why not Washington?

What on earth is a "corridor" anyway, as opposed to a "road" or "street"? Corridors and districts to me just have this trendy ring to them. I prefer good ol' neighborhood names.

A road or street is cross-sectionally confined by curbs, culverts, or at best, sidewalks. A corridor is cross-sectionally confined by the far edge of all property lines of parcels that have frontage along a road or street.

A road or street is cross-sectionally confined by curbs, culverts, or at best, sidewalks. A corridor is cross-sectionally confined by the far edge of all property lines of parcels that have frontage along a road or street.

I thought it would mean that it's an area along a path, but not necessarily just the immediate area. perhaps a few blocksin other direction.

cor

• 2 weeks later...

From today's paper: I loooove their happy hours. :P

A Rice Village mainstay is following the rush of restaurants and bars to Washington Avenue. Restaurateur Benjy Levit is opening his second benjy's at 5922 Washington Ave., one block east of Westcott. The two-story restaurant will include a ground-level patio and a second-floor lounge.

Josh Aruh of Apex Real Estate Group is developing the building, and Larry Plotsky of The Plotsky Group represented benjy's in the deal.

Aruh also developed Washington Square Shopping Center, which houses the Cova wine bar and Catalan restaurant, and Cyclone Anaya's on Durham.

A recent surge in multifamily and townhome development in this area, which some call the Old West End, has driven a flurry of night life growth.

El Tiempo Cantina, Max's Wine Dive and Molina's are just a few of the new hot spots.

I really don't think the area being discussed ever had a singular, discrete name like many areas of Houston. Like many have said, it cuts through several different areas. I think a small part of the area, north of Washington around Yale, is technically The Heights. You know, I-10 wasn't always there. It is kinda strange to think about what that area must have been like without I-10 plopped down in the middle of it. For some context, check out some of these old maps of Houston:

http://houstorian.wordpress.com/old-houston-maps/

As for Montrose, according to some of these maps, it has been dubbed "Montrose" for quite some time.

• 1 month later...

Another restaurant on the west end of Washington is great news! I took a spin to see where 5922 was and couldn't find it, so hoping it is the future development of this lot where the tortilla manufacturing company used to be -- note the holdout on the northwest corner. At one time a few years ago, there was a sign up for some residential development here but that didn't go forward. Hope they have some quality plans for this important piece of land!

th_Washington6.jpg

View from Knox and Washington NW - towards Candelari's

th_Washington1.jpg

View North from Washington

From today's paper: I loooove their happy hours. :P

A Rice Village mainstay is following the rush of restaurants and bars to Washington Avenue. Restaurateur Benjy Levit is opening his second benjy's at 5922 Washington Ave., one block east of Westcott. The two-story restaurant will include a ground-level patio and a second-floor lounge.

Josh Aruh of Apex Real Estate Group is developing the building, and Larry Plotsky of The Plotsky Group represented benjy's in the deal.

Aruh also developed Washington Square Shopping Center, which houses the Cova wine bar and Catalan restaurant, and Cyclone Anaya's on Durham.

A recent surge in multifamily and townhome development in this area, which some call the Old West End, has driven a flurry of night life growth.

El Tiempo Cantina, Max's Wine Dive and Molina's are just a few of the new hot spots.

You're forgetting the best wine bar in Houston (and voted so by many publications): The Corkscrew. It's the Cheers of wine bars, totally laid back and non-pretentious.

Red Door is opening another location directly across the street from it.

I really don't think the area being discussed ever had a singular, discrete name like many areas of Houston. Like many have said, it cuts through several different areas. I think a small part of the area, north of Washington around Yale, is technically The Heights. You know, I-10 wasn't always there. It is kinda strange to think about what that area must have been like without I-10 plopped down in the middle of it. For some context, check out some of these old maps of Houston:

http://houstorian.wordpress.com/old-houston-maps/

As for Montrose, according to some of these maps, it has been dubbed "Montrose" for quite some time.

Montrose was originally a more defined neighborhood around Montrose Blvd. Now I think most people would consider it the entire section between Allen Pkwy, Shepherd, 59, Midtown, and 4th Ward. Now it seems natural to define neighborhoods with freeway boundaries, even though those are of course all relatively recent.

Archived