Memories Of Aldine

I can't find the third game nor do I know who it was against or the date it was played. I'm only guessing at its existence because a web site called texpreps.com says that Aldine was 0-3 in their first year. I've found about five errors on their site, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt here.

Texpreps/Joe Lee Smith's records, I almost subscribed for a month one time just to see what he had. They had some samples and I believe you could get a free 7 or 10 day trial, but I didn't do it. Figured it would be a hassle to unsubscribe.

As I am sure you know they are a ton of high school websites. One that has a lot of high school records (I believe all 5A and 4A + some others) from at least '86 thru present is texashsfootball. There is a possibility of a charge to access them later on, but for now, they are free.

Actually, the Collier-Sharp records still exist on another site, but it hasn't been updated since, I believe, 2002. You may know that. If not, and you want the address let me know.

Edited by youbetcha

Texpreps/Joe Lee Smith's records, I almost subscribed for a month one time just to see what he had. They had some samples and I believe you could get a free 7 or 10 day trial, but I didn't do it. Figured it would be a hassle to unsubscribe.

As I am sure you know they are a ton of high school websites. One that has a lot of high school records (I believe all 5A and 4A + some others) from at least '86 thru present is texashsfootball. There is a possibility of a charge to access them later on, but for now, they are free.

Actually, the Collier-Sharp records still exist on another site, but it hasn't been updated since, I believe, 2002. You may know that. If not, and you want the address let me know.

Yup, done all of that. The texashsfootball one is actually missing Aldine's 1996 record.

But thanks for the info.

Here's another tidbit for you: The Mustangs are 1-1-1 all-time against the state's top-ranked team in the AP poll.

In 1981 they tied Port Arthur Jefferson 21-21 in bidistrict, advancing on penetrations. Was at that game and I've never heard the Dome so loud.

In 1988 the 8th ranked Ponies lost 21-7 to Willowridge in a Week 2 showdown.

And, in 1989, they shocked Converse Judson 48-14 on a freezing day in San Antonio in the 5A state semifinals. I was at that game and whew... that was one coooooooooold day. Spent five hours on the road for a game that lasted 90 minutes. There was no halftime... at least no bands. No one threw the ball which thankfully kept the clock running.

All-time against state-ranked teams, Aldine is 16-24-2. First win over a state-ranked opponent was a 30-6 spanking of then 8th ranked Forest Brook.

Yup, done all of that. The texashsfootball one is actually missing Aldine's 1996 record.

But thanks for the info.

Here's another tidbit for you: The Mustangs are 1-1-1 all-time against the state's top-ranked team in the AP poll.

In 1981 they tied Port Arthur Jefferson 21-21 in bidistrict, advancing on penetrations. Was at that game and I've never heard the Dome so loud.

In 1988 the 8th ranked Ponies lost 21-7 to Willowridge in a Week 2 showdown.

And, in 1989, they shocked Converse Judson 48-14 on a freezing day in San Antonio in the 5A state semifinals. I was at that game and whew... that was one coooooooooold day. Spent five hours on the road for a game that lasted 90 minutes. There was no halftime... at least no bands. No one threw the ball which thankfully kept the clock running.

All-time against state-ranked teams, Aldine is 16-24-2. First win over a state-ranked opponent was a 30-6 spanking of then 8th ranked Forest Brook.

I was at all those games. Against PA Jeff, the 20 yard line was the goal line on the last drive. They were tied in penetrations and PA Jeff was ahead in first downs. Aldine just made it across the 20. I was mentally exausted.

The Judson game is one of my all time favorites. I almost froze, but was all warm and fuzzy inside. That was one of the best all around games I have ever seen Aldine play against a quality opponent.

I skipped the Permian game the next week and watched on TV. It was so cold they had scheduled brown outs around town to conserve electricity. I was afraid they were going to cut my power while I was watching, but they didn't.

What was Conroe's ranking when Aldine beat them in '85, I was thinking they were no. 1, but I could be wrong.

When I said I was at all those games I was talking about the 3 you made reference to against no. 1 teams. I probably saw most of those others against state-ranked opponents, but can't say for sure. Offhand I don't remember all of the games that were against state-ranked opponents and was unaware of Aldine's record against them. Good info.

No, there is a forum on texashsfootball that has all the individual scores posted by a poster from West Orange Stark (WOS87) and Aldine's '96 scores are there. I believe you are talking about a time line ditty that was posted and Aldine's '96 record wasn't included. Old WOS87 has done extensive work.

Go to the message board, select Texas HS Football, select Complete Team Histories.

Edited by youbetcha

I was at all those games. Against PA Jeff, the 20 yard line was the goal line on the last drive. They were tied in penetrations and PA Jeff was ahead in first downs. Aldine just made it across the 20. I was mentally exausted.

The Judson game is one of my all time favorites. I almost froze, but was all warm and fuzzy inside. That was one of the best all around games I have ever seen Aldine play against a quality opponent.

I skipped the Permian game the next week and watched on TV. It was so cold they had scheduled brown outs around town to conserve electricity. I was afraid they were going to cut my power while I was watching, but they didn't.

What was Conroe's ranking when Aldine beat them in '85, I was thinking they were no. 1, but I could be wrong.

When I said I was at all those games I was talking about the 3 you made reference to against no. 1 teams. I probably saw most of those others against state-ranked opponents, but can't say for sure. Offhand I don't remember all of the games that were against state-ranked opponents and was unaware of Aldine's record against them. Good info.

No, there is a forum on texashsfootball that has all the individual scores posted by a poster from West Orange Stark (WOS87) and Aldine's '96 scores are there. I believe you are talking about a time line ditty that was posted and Aldine's '96 record wasn't included. Old WOS87 has done extensive work.

Go to the message board, select Texas HS Football, select Complete Team Histories.

Yes, I am familiar with WOS87. I'm not quite sure where he got his info... I'm thinking it's texpreps.com because his numbers and theirs have the same discrepancies. That has to do with those missing games I posted about earlier and some curious potential errors I've found in news sources that I think I've corrected but they haven't.

Don't want to bore you with the details (I explain them in my report) but one them has to do with that game I mentioned earlier where one paper said Aldine beat La Porte and the other one said La Porte beat Aldine in 1945. Apparently they went with the later and I found info that shows the former was actually true, so our numbers for that season differ. He showsa Aldine with 422 wins and I can only come up with 419. I do point out the discrepancies in my report and show exactly where I think they are along with my evidence to support why I have the numbers I have. Not discounting I could be wrong, of course.

As for Conroe, the Tigers were number 2 in the AP state poll and number one in the Chronicle local poll. Indeed, the Chronicle headline for that game was, "ALDINE CLIPS NO. 1 CONROE" -- meaning their number one team. I'd love to include that story, along with other big games such as the 1948 El Campo upset, in my report, but apparently the Chronicle forbids such things as they so state in their copyright line. Bummer. Those stories are what bring the report to life.

Yeah, I skipped the Odessa Permian game too. At first me and a friend were going to drive to Dallas, but with the weather so poor, we changed our mind. (According to official National Weather Service Records, it was 7 degree at IAH, the coldest ever record there and second coldest day ever in Houston). We thought about taking the bus caravan the school organized, but, unfortunately, we also had tickets for that night's Oiler fiasco against Cleveland. That was the year the team was 9-5 going into the final two games and only had to win one of two to clinch the division... and both games were at home. Naturally, being the Oilers, they not only lost one, but went ahead and lost them both and the playoff game after that too in Jerry Glanville's swan song.

Man, if I had a choice of which loss to take... one in the warm, toasty Dome or one in freezing Texas Stadium, I'd have taken Texas Stadium. At least Aldine tried and lost against a superior opponent in very adverse conditions. The Oilers simply laid yet another rotten egg.

Edited by Firebird65

Yes, I am familiar with WOS87. I'm not quite sure where he got his info... I'm thinking it's texpreps.com because his numbers and theirs have the same discrepancies. That has to do with those missing games I posted about earlier and some curious potential errors I've found in news sources that I think I've corrected but they haven't.

Don't want to bore you with the details (I explain them in my report) but one them has to do with that game I mentioned earlier where one paper said Aldine beat La Porte and the other one said La Porte beat Aldine in 1945. Apparently they went with the later and I found info that shows the former was actually true, so our numbers for that season differ. He showsa Aldine with 422 wins and I can only come up with 419. I do point out the discrepancies in my report and show exactly where I think they are along with my evidence to support why I have the numbers I have. Not discounting I could be wrong, of course.

As for Conroe, the Tigers were number 2 in the AP state poll and number one in the Chronicle local poll. Indeed, the Chronicle headline for that game was, "ALDINE CLIPS NO. 1 CONROE" -- meaning their number one team. I'd love to include that story, along with other big games such as the 1948 El Campo upset, in my report, but apparently the Chronicle forbids such things as they so state in their copyright line. Bummer. Those stories are what bring the report to life.

Yeah, I skipped the Odessa Permian game too. At first me and a friend were going to drive to Dallas, but with the weather so poor, we changed our mind. (According to official National Weather Service Records, it was 7 degree at IAH, the coldest ever record there and second coldest day ever in Houston). We thought about taking the bus caravan the school organized, but, unfortunately, we also had tickets for that night's Oiler fiasco against Cleveland. That was the year the team was 9-5 going into the final two games and only had to win one of two to clinch the division... and both games were at home. Naturally, being the Oilers, they not only lost one, but went ahead and lost them both and the playoff game after that too in Jerry Glanville's swan song.

Man, if I had a choice of which loss to take... one in the warm, toasty Dome or one in freezing Texas Stadium, I'd have taken Texas Stadium. At least Aldine tried and lost against a superior opponent in very adverse conditions. The Oilers simply laid yet another rotten egg.

WOS87 may have gotten his info from texpreps.

I'm still waiting for a call from AHS. I didn't find out until yesterday about the old scores and yearbooks. Don't know yet what year they start. She said in the 30's.

I agree with you about the unreliability of old yearbooks. Sometimes I think they just used their memory to post scores at the end of the year. I have seen some real messes.

I always got a kick out of comparing stats when the Post was still around. There were almost always some discrepancies. And the temp at Texas Stadium that fateful day depends not only on which paper you read but also the day you read it.

Don't EVEN get me started on the Oilers.

I'm still waiting for a call from AHS. I didn't find out until yesterday about the old scores and yearbooks. Don't know yet what year they start. She said in the 30's.

I just got my call. This stuff was in the vault at AHS and the oldest yearbook they have is '47. She said she was almost positive there had been some from the 30's, but they aren't there now. She also had started doing some football history, but hadn't worked on it for a long time. She said that was also gone, but she can't be certain that she didn't throw it away. Bummer! She is going to call someone she knows (I gave her the info you need), but it didn't sound too encouraging. Sorry if I got your hopes up.

I just got my call. This stuff was in the vault at AHS and the oldest yearbook they have is '47. She said she was almost positive there had been some from the 30's, but they aren't there now. She also had started doing some football history, but hadn't worked on it for a long time. She said that was also gone, but she can't be certain that she didn't throw it away. Bummer! She is going to call someone she knows (I gave her the info you need), but it didn't sound too encouraging. Sorry if I got your hopes up.

Oh, well... Hope they didn't throw out my permanent record!

"If you don't behave, this will go in your permanent record and you'll be branded for life!"

On second thought...

Oh, well... Hope they didn't throw out my permanent record!

"If you don't behave, this will go in your permanent record and you'll be branded for life!"

On second thought...

:lol:

I didn't know until I read it above that Aldine was at one time Marrs High School.

Yall may have done all of this, but I was trying to see what I could find out about Marrs High School, and ran across this. Note the time table on the right. Hope there wasn't any connection to the uprising and the burning of the school in '54. Since they were trying to reduce taxes you would think there wouldn't be, unless the other side...hum...j/k. My wife was attending when they closed down the school in '59.

See page 7

http://www.aldine.k12.tx.us/pdfs/handbooks...ng_handbook.pdf

Why couldn't they have included some football history in here?

Edited by youbetcha

:lol:

I didn't know until I read it above that Aldine was at one time Marrs High School.

Yall may have done all of this, but I was trying to see what I could find out about Marrs High School, and ran across this. Note the time table on the right. Hope there wasn't any connection to the uprising and the burning of the school in '54. Since they were trying to reduce taxes you would think there wouldn't be, unless the other side...hum...j/k. My wife was attending when they closed down the school in '59.

See page 7

http://www.aldine.k12.tx.us/pdfs/handbooks...ng_handbook.pdf

Why couldn't they have included some football history in here?

That history section is a little sparse, but it's a good starting point. It's how I figured who Marrs High was named for. Until reading that, I didn't know the Marrs name included the initials SMN. After that, I found the bio for State Supt Marrs.

Still not sure why they named it for him. I can still see no connection.

So far work progresses on my football history report for Aldine.

A few more tidbits... if for nothing else than to bump this thread to the top:

Most yards by an individual in a game: 303 by Doug Womack vs Deer Park in the 1989 Area playoff.

Fewest first downs by an opponent: 2 vs Smiley in 1980

So far work progresses on my football history report for Aldine.

A few more tidbits... if for nothing else than to bump this thread to the top:

Most yards by an individual in a game: 303 by Doug Womack vs Deer Park in the 1989 Area playoff.

Fewest first downs by an opponent: 2 vs Smiley in 1980

Nice! Saw the Deer Park game (had no idea Doug's yardage was the most by an individual) That was also payback to DP for the previous year. I am very interested in history stats (most whatever). I believe the most combined points for an individual game was Aldine vs Forest Brook in '87. Aldine won 65-53. Aldine had over 700 yards rushing and Forest Brook had over 500 passing. That was listed in the Texas state records for awhile. I don't remember how many combined first downs they had. A few records I know.

I remember Don Burrisk (?) had over 1700 yards in 10 games in the 60's (? I think). There are tons of stuff I would like to know. I saw a lot of games but a bunch of that stuff is getting fuzzy. And then there is so much stuff I never knew anything about. Great work!

Nice! Saw the Deer Park game (had no idea Doug's yardage was the most by an individual) That was also payback to DP for the previous year. I am very interested in history stats (most whatever). I believe the most combined points for an individual game was Aldine vs Forest Brook in '87. Aldine won 65-53. Aldine had over 700 yards rushing and Forest Brook had over 500 passing. That was listed in the Texas state records for awhile. I don't remember how many combined first downs they had. A few records I know.

I remember Don Burrisk (?) had over 1700 yards in 10 games in the 60's (? I think). There are tons of stuff I would like to know. I saw a lot of games but a bunch of that stuff is getting fuzzy. And then there is so much stuff I never knew anything about. Great work!

That 1987 Aldine/Forest Brook game held the record for most combined points for about a decade. The Chronicle loved talking about it and bringing it up whenever teams approached it. It finally fell sometime in the mid 1990s. Don't have that info as it wasn't Aldine who broke it so I didn't bother to write it down but it's very easily found on the Chronicle's archives.

The two teams combined for 46 first downs (25 by FB and 21 by Aldine). Neiother of those are even close to any kind of record. And you wouldn't expect them to be as in order to score 118 points in 48 minutes you need lots of big, quick long distance plays rather than slow, grinding plays to get first downs.

The teams combined for 1,273 total yards (another state record since broken). Aldine tallied 683 (615 rushing) and Forest Brook gained 590 (485 passing). The 683 yards are the most Aldine has ever gotten in a game that I've found as is the 615 rushing.

The 65 points scored ranks fourth on the all-time Mustang list (third at the time of occurance). 69 is the most the team has ever scored - against Nimitz in 1990. The 118 points ar the most points for both teams in an Aldine game and 53 points given up is obviously the most the team has ever given up in a win.

QB Lionell Crawford scored 5 TDs to tie the school record. J.D. Rogers scored five in a game against Cedar Bayou in 1942 and Patrick Randle scored five against Spring Woods in 1999. Crawford threw for one more to give him a hand in six scoring plays. Rogers threw for two in his game.

RB Calvin Wilson ran for 244 yards, but while close in 1987, that wasn't a school record.

Don Burrisk rushed for 1,717 yards in 10 games in 1969 on a team that finished 5-5. The school record is today held by Deandre Lewis (now with the Seawhawks) with 1,921 in 1996. However, Lewis accomplished his yardage in 15 games. Burrisk's total now ranks third. No one has come close to Burrisk's 171 yards per game average. Nor has anyone ever duplicated his number of 200 yard games. Burrisk rushed for 200 yards once in 1968 and four more times in 1969.

I believe Burrisk made all state in 1969, but I haven't found anything to confirm that. A story in 1971 alludes to Burrisk being named all state when it talks about another great Aldine back, Bill Hudson. The story says Hudson could be the Ponies' next Burrisk and be Aldine's next all state candidate. The way it was worded leads me to believe Burrisk made all state in 1969.

Burrisk went on to play at University of Texas and played in the 1972 Cotton Bowl against Penn State where he had 7 carries for 43 yards and 3 catches for 45.

Although his teams saw little success, when you talk about great Aldine players, you most definitely have to mention Don Burrisk.

Edited by Firebird65

That's a lot of great information. I owe the Aldine football teams a big debt for all the enjoyment they have provided over the years. Lots of excitement, some disappointments but all in all who could ask for more? The state championship was the frosting on the cake. The most bitter and disappointed I was in all those years was the '83 quarterfinals. 13-10 Yates (we was robbed). The '96 quarterfinal win felt so good I was almost ashamed of myself for enjoying it so much.

That's a lot of great information. I owe the Aldine football teams a big debt for all the enjoyment they have provided over the years. Lots of excitement, some disappointments but all in all who could ask for more? The state championship was the frosting on the cake. The most bitter and disappointed I was in all those years was the '83 quarterfinals. 13-10 Yates (we was robbed). The '96 quarterfinal win felt so good I was almost ashamed of myself for enjoying it so much.

LOL! Funny you should mention that 1996 Yates game. I was just looking at the story from that game right now on the Chronicle's archives. Total domination on both sides of the ball. Defense limits a powerful Yates team to 35 total yards. That's it.

Didn't go to that game. Unfortunately I went the next week to the Westlake game. Must have been a great one.

Must have been a great one.

It was almost perfect. Yates (like so many of the other schools) had signs saying the dome was their second home. I remember reading in the Chronicle that, if that was true, Aldine should be charged with home invasion.

The Yates game did provide some consolation for the loss to Westlake. (for me anyway)

Edited by youbetcha

Wow, that map has to be from the early 1920s as it denotes Hwys 19 and 3.

Mt Houston is about where I always expected it to be... along or near the Eastex Freeway. Sorta looks like its in the general area of MacArthur High School. Maybe a little south, but not much. But it also appears out of the Aldine ISD zone, which would be those railorad tracks.

The original name of North Forest ISD was East and Mount Houston.

But now that map opens a whole new mystery... what's District No. 1? If it's a school district, that's not the future North Forest school district, at least not all of it.

Edited by Firebird65

i been a lurker for about a year but now that i'm here glen forests estates is no longer is here harris county flood control is making a huge basin south of resthaven cemertary. thank you for all the history. :rolleyes:

i been a lurker for about a year but now that i'm here glen forests estates is no longer is here harris county flood control is making a huge basin south of resthaven cemertary. thank you for all the history. :rolleyes:

Interesting. i didn't know that. Thanks for sharing. By all means, don't just be a lurker. Join on in the discussion. The more the merrier.

My grandparents moved there in 1974 and it never flooded until I45 widen in the mid 90's then Allison came in got about a inch in the house the rest of the homes got three feet in them. about 95% of the houses are torn down

Wow, that map has to be from the early 1920s as it denotes Hwys 19 and 3.

That highway with the number 3 on it is not the present day State Hwy 3. In fact Hwy 3, or the Old Galvesto Road, isn't on this map. The road numbered 3 appears to be the old Beaumont Road, or what is now called US Hwy 90. For many years that route followed Liberty Road on a northeasterly track out of Houston, just as the present day highway does.

That highway with the number 3 on it is not the present day State Hwy 3. In fact Hwy 3, or the Old Galvesto Road, isn't on this map. The road numbered 3 appears to be the old Beaumont Road, or what is now called US Hwy 90. For many years that route followed Liberty Road on a northeasterly track out of Houston, just as the present day highway does.

Yes, that is the old Beaumonnt Road and before it was U.S. 90 it was Texas 3. Highways frequently changed designations back then. The present Texas Highway 3 (aka Old Galveston Road) was known as Texas Highway 2 at the time of this map.

I have no idea why it was changed, but you can find the history of state road designations at TxDOT's website. That's where I got a lot of the information I posted much earlier int his thread. As those highways weren't in the Aldine area, I didn't mention them in that earlier post.

Yes, that is the old Beaumonnt Road and before it was U.S. 90 it was Texas 3. Highways frequently changed designations back then. The present Texas Highway 3 (aka Old Galveston Road) was known as Texas Highway 2 at the time of this map.

I have no idea why it was changed, but you can find the history of state road designations at TxDOT's website. That's where I got a lot of the information I posted much earlier int his thread. As those highways weren't in the Aldine area, I didn't mention them in that earlier post.

Thanks for setting me straight. I didn't know that history of Hwy 3. Or Hwy 2.

Hey, just wondering...was last night's 50-0 loss the worst in Aldine history? I don't remember them taking a beating like that in my lifetime. :huh:

No, it's close to being the worst, but not quite. However, yesterday's 50-0 loss was the worst opening day defeat in Aldine history. The previous worst opening day loss was was a 45-0 shellacking by Texas City in 1937, the Mustangs' second season.

The worst defeat in Aldine history was a 58-0 pounding by Spring Branch in 1966. The 58 points is the largest margin of defeat all-time for the Mustangs. (Coincidentally, Spring Branch went to the State Finals that year, losing to San Angelo Central.) Yesterday's loss was the worst since that defeat 40 years ago.

Aldine also lost a 1942 bidistrict playoff game to Galena Park 53-0. That's the second worst loss by margin of defeat. Yesterday's 50-point loss would be the third worst, margin-wise, all-time.

As far as points, the most points Aldine has ever given up in a game all-time is 72 to South Houston in 1964. Aldine lost that game 72-31. South Houston amassed 735 total yards (635 on the ground) and 30 first downs, all records against the Mustangs. The good news was that our QB had a great day - one of the best ever for a Pony QB - throwing for 217 yards and four TDs. Don't see that happening too often in an Aldine game.

I'm almost finished with my report. I've gotten all the information I can glean from newspapers and web sites, so it's just a matter of getting the remaining info typed. That should take a few days and then I'll need to proofread it.

As news coverage was spotty in the 1930s to about the early 50s, I won't have all the records because not all games were reported on and if they were, the stories often didn't mention individual or team stats for smaller schools until about 1955. Still, I'd imagine I got the vast majority of the big ones.

I've had no luck with any official channels so I'm still missing five games. But out of more than 700 total games, I guess I can live with that.

If anyone is interested in getting a report, please drop me a line and I'll be happy to share it. The total final report will be about 116 pages, so it will be a big file. I'll have scores, highlights and standings from 1936 to 2005. Eventually I'll add more Aldine area and school history for an enhanced Version 2, but that's awhile off.

BTW... what's up with the uniforms??? Saw the highlights... er, make that "highlights"... on Channel 11 and man, those were some nasty threads. Yuck-o!!!

Edited by Firebird65

If anyone is interested in getting a report, please drop me a line and I'll be happy to share it. The total final report will be about 116 pages, so it will be a big file. I'll have scores, highlights and standings from 1936 to 2005. Eventually I'll add more Aldine area and school history for an enhanced Version 2, but that's awhile off.

BTW... what's up with the uniforms??? Saw the highlights... er, make that "highlights"... on Channel 11 and man, those were some nasty threads. Yuck-o!!!

I attempted to send you a message and may have repeated it. Sorry.

When Aldine's new coach took over he changed it all including the uniforms, more along the Titans look. I haven't seen them this year. Did they change again? I preferred the ones they wore at the time Smith retired. Guess I'm an old stick in the mud.

I attempted to send you a message and may have repeated it. Sorry.

When Aldine's new coach took over he changed it all including the uniforms, more along the Titans look. I haven't seen them this year. Did they change again? I preferred the ones they wore at the time Smith retired. Guess I'm an old stick in the mud.

Yeah, they resemble the Titans threads, only the numbers are in a bizarre typeface with a huge round serif I've never seen on a uniform, so they're probably the same ones you had already seen.

You should have seen some of the ones from way back. When I get home, I'll see if I can post a pic or two I took at the library of some of the 1940s uniforms. They're from the Houston Chronicle of that era, so who knows if the mods will let it stay since the Chronicle is so *ahem* let's just say retentitive about their stuff. Not like I'm trying to make a profit or even a single penny. But who knows. I guess I can try.

Apparently the current helmet with the "rocking A" logo appeared around 1977 or 1978. Before that, they wore what looked like a solid blue helmet in the mid 1970s and a solid white one in the late 1960s/early 1970s. It was solid blue again in the mid 1960s. In the early 1960s Aldine had the same helmets as the Baltimore Colts, only the colors were reversed. In other words, it was solid blue with a white horseshoe. I never found any photos from the 1950s, so I have no idea what they wore then. I do know that plastic helmets were introduced in the mid 1950s and prior to that it was leather helmets. Whether the leather helmets were brown or blue I can't tell from a black and white photo.

Aldine's colors have always been some type of blue and white. There are stories from the 1940s mentioning their colors being such.

I wish I could include the photos and stories too, but as I mentioned, the Chronicle is quite squemish and then the file would be too big to send to anyone. It's about three MBs as it is with just text and a photo or two I took.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Doubt I'll publish it, but I'd be happy to e-mail you a pdf of it when I'm done.

I'm not too far away from finishing, provided I leave out all the area history part... that's what's been taken all my time. If I leave that for later, I could have just the scores and season highlights done within a month and save the other stuff for an expanded version later.

I've compiled all the scores and standings from 1936 to 2005. I'm missing five scores (out of more than 700), so I figure I've got about 99 percent of the games.

Unfortunately, I'm missing (or think I'm missing) what is, to me, the most important game of all... the first one. From what I've been able to piece together, Aldine only played three games its inaugural season. I've found two of them. Only one game was covered by a newspaper, and that was a 37-0 loss to La Porte on October 17, 1936. Of course, when you get beat 37-0, you don't have too many highlights, and as such, Aldine doesn't get mentioned at all in the story... it's all La Porte.

The next week, Aldine lost to some school called Huntsville Demonstration 39-0. Huntsville Demonstration was a school run out of Sam Houston State University. It apparently didn't last long after the 1930s. There was no story on this game, only a notation in the weekly scoreboard.

I can't find the third game nor do I know who it was against or the date it was played. I'm only guessing at its existence because a web site called texpreps.com says that Aldine was 0-3 in their first year. I've found about five errors on their site, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt here.

So, maybe the La Porte game was Aldine's first. Or maybe this other game was. I simply don't know. I've contacted the high school and the school district. Aldine's head coach says all records were thrown out when they remodeled the field house. I never heard back from the AISD athletic director. And never could get anyone at the UIL or texpreps.com to return messages. Pretty frustrating, I'll tell you.

Of the five games I'm missing, one is from 1936, one from 1937, one from 1938, one from 1939, one from 1942. The 1936 and 1937 games I don't know anything about. The 1938 and 1942 games were against Webster (now Clear Creek) and the 1939 game was against Willis. I've contacted both Clear Creek and Willis. Willis doesn't have records going back that far and I never heard back from Clear Creek.

Here to whet your appetite are the scores from what might well be one of the best Aldine teams ever: 1941 District 29-A champion Mustangs.

* - District game

v Somerville Yeguas - W 54-0

v Milby Buffaloes - W 7-0

v La Porte Bulldogs* - W 7-0

v Humble Wildcats - W 19-0

v Cypress Bobcats* - W 30-0

v Tomball Cougars* - W 13-7

v Crosby Buffaloes* - W 44-0

v Webster Wildcats* - W 39-0

Bidistrict Playoff

v Richmond Tigers - W 20-13

Conference A Region 8 Championship

v Navasota Rattlers - L 6-40

Wins 9 Losses 1

Conference A teams only played to a regional championship until 1948. Only AA played to a state title.

The game against Richmond, interestingly enough, was played on Friday, December 5, 1941 - two days before Pearl Harbor.

This was Aldine's first undeated seasin, first district championship and first playoff win. The previous year, Aldine captured a district zone title (akin to winning the Big 12 South), but lost the District Championship game to Pasadena. There was no district championship game in 1941 as the other zone winner, Galena Park, was banned from the postseason for using an ineligible player, as was the runnerup, Freeport.

The team pitched seven shutouts on 1941, a team record that still stands. They opened the season with five consecutive shutouts, a record they share with the 1940 team, who closed their year with five consecutive whitewashes. That means that Aldine shut out 10 consecutive regular season opponents over the last five games of 1940 and the first five of 1941. The only exception was the aforementioned 35-7 loss in the 1940 District 29-A title game.

The Milby game has an interesting background. That was to have been an open week for Aldine. Conference AA Milby's scheduled opponent backed out at the last minute and their coach called Aldine and arranged a game on short notice. With almost no prep time, the Conference A Mustangs shut out the Conference AA Buffs 7-0 in what was considered a big upset.

Here was the starting lineup for that team. Do note that teams played "one platoon" or "ironman" football - meaning player played both offense and defense:

Left End Whitfield

Left Tackle Walla

Left Guard Roach

Center Youngdoff

Right Guard Martin

Right Tackle Rigby

Right End Cornwell

Quarterback Slaughter

Left Half Jones

Right Half Deaton

Fullback Mendel

Doubt I'll publish it, but I'd be happy to e-mail you a pdf of it when I'm done.

I'm not too far away from finishing, provided I leave out all the area history part... that's what's been taken all my time. If I leave that for later, I could have just the scores and season highlights done within a month and save the other stuff for an expanded version later.

I've compiled all the scores and standings from 1936 to 2005. I'm missing five scores (out of more than 700), so I figure I've got about 99 percent of the games.

Unfortunately, I'm missing (or think I'm missing) what is, to me, the most important game of all... the first one. From what I've been able to piece together, Aldine only played three games its inaugural season. I've found two of them. Only one game was covered by a newspaper, and that was a 37-0 loss to La Porte on October 17, 1936. Of course, when you get beat 37-0, you don't have too many highlights, and as such, Aldine doesn't get mentioned at all in the story... it's all La Porte.

The next week, Aldine lost to some school called Huntsville Demonstration 39-0. Huntsville Demonstration was a school run out of Sam Houston State University. It apparently didn't last long after the 1930s. There was no story on this game, only a notation in the weekly scoreboard.

So, maybe the La Porte game was Aldine's first. Or maybe this other game was. I simply don't know. I've contacted the high school and the school district. Aldine's head coach says all records were thrown out when they remodeled the field house. I never heard back from the AISD athletic director. And never could get anyone at the UIL or texpreps.com to return messages. Pretty frustrating, I'll tell you.

Of the five games I'm missing, one is from 1936, one from 1937, one from 1938, one from 1939, one from 1942. The 1936 and 1937 games I don't know anything about. The 1938 and 1942 games were against Webster (now Clear Creek) and the 1939 game was against Willis. I've contacted both Clear Creek and Willis. Willis doesn't have records going back that far and I never heard back from Clear Creek.

Here to whet your appetite are the scores from what might well be one of the best Aldine teams ever: 1941 District 29-A champion Mustangs.

* - District game

v Somerville Yeguas - W 54-0

v Milby Buffaloes - W 7-0

v La Porte Bulldogs* - W 7-0

v Humble Wildcats - W 19-0

v Cypress Bobcats* - W 30-0

v Tomball Cougars* - W 13-7

v Crosby Buffaloes* - W 44-0

v Webster Wildcats* - W 39-0

Bidistrict Playoff

v Richmond Tigers - W 20-13

Conference A Region 8 Championship

v Navasota Rattlers - L 6-40

Wins 9 Losses 1

Conference A teams only played to a regional championship until 1948. Only AA played to a state title.

The game against Richmond, interestingly enough, was played on Friday, December 5, 1941 - two days before Pearl Harbor.

This was Aldine's first undeated seasin, first district championship and first playoff win. The previous year, Aldine captured a district zone title (akin to winning the Big 12 South), but lost the District Championship game to Pasadena. There was no district championship game in 1941 as the other zone winner, Galena Park, was banned from the postseason for using an ineligible player, as was the runnerup, Freeport.

The team pitched seven shutouts on 1941, a team record that still stands. They opened the season with five consecutive shutouts, a record they share with the 1940 team, who closed their year with five consecutive whitewashes. That means that Aldine shut out 10 consecutive regular season opponents over the last five games of 1940 and the first five of 1941. The only exception was the aforementioned 35-7 loss in the 1940 District 29-A title game.

The Milby game has an interesting background. That was to have been an open week for Aldine. Conference AA Milby's scheduled opponent backed out at the last minute and their coach called Aldine and arranged a game on short notice. With almost no prep time, the Conference A Mustangs shut out the Conference AA Buffs 7-0 in what was considered a big upset.

Here was the starting lineup for that team. Do note that teams played "one platoon" or "ironman" football - meaning player played both offense and defense:

Left End Whitfield

Left Tackle Walla

Left Guard Roach

Center Youngdoff

Right Guard Martin

Right Tackle Rigby

Right End Cornwell

Quarterback Slaughter

Left Half Jones

Right Half Deaton

Fullback Mendel

Regarging Aldine Football history my Uncle was Wendel Cornwell the end from that team. They lived on Hill Road too. His brother Sam Cornwell played quarterback for Aldine and they played together for one year before Wendel graduated. Sam Cornwell had some great games for Aldine as well. He punted, kicked extra points and returned punts and kick-offs. Wendel played fro the Marines and was actually offered a pro cntract by the Lions I beleive. He also had a scholarship offer to play at Texas A&M. Do you know anything about those years from 1942-1946

S H Cornwell