Lower Westheimer Rd.

IronTiger

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 11:18 PM, IronTiger said:

1111 - Saks Shoe Stores (unknown if it's related to the department store)

1117 - P Maison Beauty Salon

1200 - Houston Sign & Display

1201 - Tower Theater

There's something wacky going on with the addresses here. 1111 Sak's Shoe Store(s?) and 1117 P Maison Beauty Salon were located west of 1201 Tower Theater. This Sak's wasn't affiliated with the department store, so far as I know. I got my first haircut in Houston at P Maison by mistake. A friend told me to go to the place by the Tower Theater. He should have told me to look behind it, which housed a fashionable salon. Instead I was probably the only male customer that P Maison had ever had. I was given a perky 'do that would have looked appropriate for a career gal, circa 1962.
The buildings that housed them were demolished a long time ago, and the sites are now the parking lot for El Real (formerly the Tower Theater). Perhaps the correct addresses would be 1211 and 1217, respectively.
1200 (Houston Sign & Display) had a large carport that extended to the sidewalk; the building was painted flat black. Fortunately someone saw what was lurking beneath. The additions were stripped off and the building painted to accentuate the Art Deco details. It is now Slick Willy's.

On 6/9/2018 at 10:55 PM, dbigtex56 said:

There's something wacky going on with the addresses here. 1111 Sak's Shoe Store(s?) and 1117 P Maison Beauty Salon were located west of 1201 Tower Theater. This Sak's wasn't affiliated with the department store, so far as I know. I got my first haircut in Houston at P Maison by mistake. A friend told me to go to the place by the Tower Theater. He should have told me to look behind it, which housed a fashionable salon. Instead I was probably the only male customer that P Maison had ever had. I was given a perky 'do that would have looked appropriate for a career gal, circa 1962.
The buildings that housed them were demolished a long time ago, and the sites are now the parking lot for El Real (formerly the Tower Theater). Perhaps the correct addresses would be 1211 and 1217, respectively.
1200 (Houston Sign & Display) had a large carport that extended to the sidewalk; the building was painted flat black. Fortunately someone saw what was lurking beneath. The additions were stripped off and the building painted to accentuate the Art Deco details. It is now Slick Willy's.

Well, I'm just going off what the directory says. Sometimes they do it in straight order, sometimes they don't, and we've already seen errors so far.

1302 - Hills Mobil Serv[ice Station] (present spot of McDonald's)

1318 - Inside-Outside Club and Old Reliable Pest [Control?]

1322 - Bradley 1322 Restaurant

1330 - Baby Face Kosmetiks/Wavelengths (same phone)

1336 - P. Collins Beauty Salon

1338 - Podge Hodge Jeweler (A), Designalliance (B), Fridays Florist (C)

1339 - Sigmor Shamrock

1340 - Cherryhurst Pharmacy

1401 - Sheer Fantasy

1402 - Yupon Used Cars

1403 - Creative Standard Glass

1408 - Joseph Restaurant

1411 - Dramatika, E. Joseph Wine Merchant

1412 - Facets

1424 - Electrical Instrument/Enviromation Div/Pollution Control System (same phone)

1425 - HG Reynolds Security/Westheimer Key & Lock (appear to be same business)

1431 - Als Barber Shop

1435 - Houston Arts & Crafts

Just two more blocks to go.

16 hours ago, IronTiger said:

1411 - Dramatika, E. Joseph Wine Merchant

Interesting - I wasn't aware Dramatika had been on Lower Westheimer, must have been before my time. When I first started shopping there, they were in Rice Village, and ultimately wound up moving to their present location on 19th in the Heights, where they have been for what seems like close to 20 years now. 

On 6/9/2018 at 10:55 PM, dbigtex56 said:

I think the numbering may have been messed up by the addition of the Tower Theater, when it was built in the 30s and maybe the way the two differently oriented street grids converge at Westheimer.  The Tower block should probably be the 1100 block to match the numbering of the other blocks of Montrose south of Westheimer. On the north side of Westheimer, the small lot where Hay Market is, seems to have always been the entirety of the north side 1100 block. So, to me, it looks like the division between 1100 and 1200 on the south side should have really been at Mt. Vernon (Commonwealth wasn't connected to Lovett until the mid-sixties).

The ~1925 Sanborn map of the block seems to concur, but there was only one small structure there at the time (on the far west, adjacent to houses fronting Mt. Vernon) with an 1101 Westheimer address. 

I have access to a 1936 city directory and it has the Tower Theater listed but without an address noted (It was built in that year).  The directory does have Jack Roach Ford at 1201 (which is the current Tower address).  From old photos of the Tower (see first link below),  I see that Jack Roach Ford was in the structure adjacent to the theater that currently houses Adam and Eve (Adam and Eve currently sports the 1111 address).  In 1936, the only other business on the south side of the block was at 1203, the Ritz-Carlton Beauty Salon, (see second link below). Could this beauty salon be the forerunner to P Maison?  So if there is a 1201 to the east of the Tower and a 1203 to the west, there isn't any room for the Tower in that numbering system.

The next Sanborn map is from ~1950 (see attached) and you can see that TWO buildings have 1117 and 1111!  The ONLY 1100 addresses on that block, surrounded by 1200's on BOTH SIDES.  The 1117 building also has 1203B written above it.  This seems, to me, to be an address renumbering change.  Old on top/New on bottom.

1203B/1117, 1213/1215, 1211/1111,1201B/1203A  The 1203B/1117 building appears it could be the same as the 1101 building from 1925.  It also appears that they may have squeezed in the Tower theater in 1936 as 1201B.

So, sometime between the 80s and now they renumbered in order to correct the sequence, but keeping the Tower theater building as 1201 and putting the only 1100 to the east of the tower (Adam and Eve).  But why did they keep 1117 and 1111 for so long??  And why did they not give Jack Roach Ford, The Tower Theater, and the Ritz-Carlton Beauty Salon 1100 numbers to begin with?

https://blog.chron.com/bayoucityhistory/files/legacy/towertheatre.jpg

https://blog.chron.com/bayoucityhistory/files/legacy/towertheatre1.jpg

block48.jpg

1 hour ago, gnu said:

I think the numbering may have been messed up by the addition of the Tower Theater, when it was built in the 30s and maybe the way the two differently oriented street grids converge at Westheimer. 

I think you're absolutely correct.
Other places in Houston have address systems that seemingly defy logic, such as Marshall, Westmoreland, and Emerson streets in the Westmoreland subdivision. (For those unfamiliar with the area, the easternmost blocks are numbered 400, the next block west are numbered 200; there is no 300 block). From old Sanborn maps it appears that the same thing occurred; one person used the downtown numbering system as a template, and another used a different street (perhaps Hathaway) in the true north oriented grid.

1 hour ago, gnu said:

In 1936, the only other business on the south side of the block was at 1203, the Ritz-Carlton Beauty Salon, (see second link below). Could this beauty salon be the forerunner to P Maison?

That seems very likely. Although I was only in there once (for my unfortunate Miss Hathaway haircut), I remember that the fixtures looked as if they dated from the mid '30s; very Art Deco/Streamline Moderne.
Applause for some great research, gnu.

Last post...

1504 - Unicorn Bar

1512 - Consignments Etc., Grumpy Grunts Antiques

1513 - Stonesthrow Realty

1517 - Marinis Empanada

1521 - Udder Delight Ice Cream

1525 - Bar-B-Que Ranch

1533 - Lunar Record Traders

1534 - Greek Village Restaurant (I think I found a picture of this one)

1536 - Gyro Gyros Sandwich

1536 1/2 - Mr. Skins Tattoo

1540 - Bedlam Brass Beds

1550 - Taco Place

1600 - Imperial Plumbing Supplies

1601 - D. Butterfield Antiques

1611 - Clip Joint Barbecue Shop

1612 - Reeds Key Shop

1613 - Records Exchange

1618 - Thoede Auto Supply

1619 - UtoteM Food Stores (have a picture of this as a Circle K)

1621 - Single Services

1623 - Mr. Peabody's Wayback Machine

1625 - Scientific Chemical

1627 - Harlan Equipment Co.

1635 - Things Etc. Antiques

1636 - RKM Mopeds

1638 - Butlers Pet Centers

1641 - SOS Radio & Television

1642 - Westheimer Aquatics

1657 - Xerographic Service Center

1658 - Gantrys Dining Sal/Westheimer Food & Beverage

1660 - Anker Billiard Supply (or Anker Billiard Destination) in A, Shaws Tattoo Studio in C, Budget Commercial Sign (or 1 Hour Budget Signs) in D. No info in B

1665 - Blantons Flowers

And that should be it...! Well, Westheimer continues (even in 1982) to beyond the 14000 block, but we aren't going to go up to block 140 as 16 was quite an adventure in itself. While it's still a bit of a work in progress (new updates every week, not including updated sections), please visit The Houston Files, a new site of mine focusing on various buildings old and new.

Marini's is still around and still serving the same great empanadas, but nowhere near lower Westheimer - after a couple of previous moves, they now have locations near the Westchase district and Cinco Ranch:

http://theoriginalmarinisempanadahouse.com/

As you might expect, the decor at the new locations is quite different from the grungy charm of the original outpost, where every interior surface was covered with comments and signatures from patrons (a practice which was basically encouraged by the owner). 

The Record (no "s") Exchange had an earlier location that predated its move to 1613, but I don't recall exactly where it was as that was before I started going there. I spent a lot of time and money there after discovering it my junior year in high school - between the vast selection and tremendously knowledgeable staff (anyone remember the inimitable Art Gnuvo?), it was a great place to get an informal education in music outside the mainstream. It subsequently moved a few blocks closer to Shepherd, in the strip center on the corner of Park and Westheimer, before eventually landing in its current location on Richmond under the current name of Sound Exchange. 

Scientific Chemical and Supply was at the other end of the strip center housing the Record Exchange. I always got weird vibes from the place, and in my admittedly limited experience they weren't exactly welcoming to potential customers, but in retrospect I might have been a bit salty too when faced with a college kid inquiring about anhydrous ether. :ph34r:

• 1 year later...

I kinda miss the big public displays of weirdness, like having an interpretive dance emporium named Boobie Rock, the giant neon Holder's cockroach on the Southwest Freeway, and the "OWNER HAS BRAIN DAMAGE!!!" car lot up by IAH.  :ph34r:

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/6/2018 at 11:18 PM, IronTiger said:

I remember reading in one of the sites that covered old 1970s/1980s Montrose that there was either another Numbers nightclub or something that looked like a boarded-up house on the outside.

Onto the list...

1001 - Another address with a bunch of names, this appears to be the same place as 1011 (strip mall with Half Price Books/Spec's) but seems to be exclusively banks and related businesses, including Venture Funds, Republic Texas Savings, Gill Co., Harold Kahn Attorney, Lanark Investment

1002 - Bellaire Glass Service/Dorseys Auto Trim, Jay Shan Company, University Auto Glass (these may be all the same thing)

1022 - Mary's Lounge (also an entry for one "Heskett Bookkeeping Service", unrelated to the Lounge or Mary's Office)

1100 - The Boobie Rock

1111 - Saks Shoe Stores (unknown if it's related to the department store)

1117 - P Maison Beauty Salon

1200 - Houston Sign & Display

1201 - Tower Theater

1203 - Carpets by Joy (or Joy Carpets)

1207 - Black Dragon Studio (tattoos)

1212 - Warehouse Records & Tapes

1214 - Radio Shack (this was a RadioShack store up until the bankruptcy a few years ago)

1216 - Zone 6 Inc.

1224 - One Hour Martinzng/Venturas Martinizng  (that's verbatim, I don't know either) and Stop N Go Markets (this is the one that probably closed in favor of the full gas station)

1225 - Payton Place

1226 - Ventura Formal Wear

1230 - Renus Restaurant

1275 - Wayne H Hubbard Ins./New York Life Insurance Co./W. Thatcher Ins.

There was a business just to the right of Mary's at 1012 Westheimer. The building was torn down and became a parking lot, but was still there in the early 80s. It was separate from Bellaire Glass. My memory of it is a little vague. Does anyone remember what it was? Maybe a car wash?

mary's 1979 3.jpg

marys 1982.jpg

20 hours ago, bearly said:

There was a business just to the right of Mary's at 1012 Westheimer. The building was torn down and became a parking lot, but was still there in the early 80s. It was separate from Bellaire Glass. My memory of it is a little vague. Does anyone remember what it was? Maybe a car wash?

A photo from ‘74 shows a Texaco sign, a photo from ‘81 has what looks like a repair shop. 

9BE7D826-32E0-4F0A-9390-52DC548B60A4.jpeg

215DD9AA-A213-4BB3-B76B-F4CB70BA0C02.jpeg

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/8/2019 at 3:23 AM, bearly said:

There was a business just to the right of Mary's at 1012 Westheimer. The building was torn down and became a parking lot, but was still there in the early 80s. It was separate from Bellaire Glass.

The building that stood on the lot now occupied by Shake Shack (previously Burger King, just west of Lincoln St.  was a greatly altered 1920's gas station originally built in the Spanish Mission style.
My recollection from the early 80's is that it was called Dorsey Auto Glass (it may have previously been Bellaire Glass?).

• 1 month later...

We made many a trip from Inwood Forest to the Sound Warehouse, (1212 Westheimer)  in the mid 70's for music and ...ahem... "smoking" supplies.

I remember attending in-store appearances with Robert Fripp on one occasion and Al DiMeola on another.

That seems like a looooooong time ago.

(Oh wait...)

4 hours ago, DWah said:

We made many a trip from Inwood Forest to the Sound Warehouse, (1212 Westheimer)  in the mid 70's for music and ...ahem... "smoking" supplies.

I remember attending in-store appearances with Robert Fripp on one occasion and Al DiMeola on another.

The thought of Fripp doing an in-store seems like an alien concept from the vantage point of the present day, given his well-known aversion to interactions with fans. Although I've heard he is polite and occasionally even engaging with folks who've purchased VIP packages to King Crimson shows, which include a pre-show discussion with a band member. If I'm ever lucky enough to meet him, I'm not sure I could resist the urge to ask him if he's familiar with Harlan Ellison's "Xenogenesis".

3 minutes ago, mkultra25 said:

...given his well-known aversion to interactions with fans.

Funny you say that - DiMeola was very friendly and played a couple of pieces from a stool and then hung around and took pictures and chatted for quite a while before his show that night at ... I want to say The Music Hall.

Fripp on the other hand played a couple of pieces from behind a barrier, said a word or two and split.

Never really thought much about it at the time.

• The title was changed to Lower Westheimer Rd.

Archived