Those cars with the pink moustache on their grill

I did see one of those cars a couple of weeks ago but didn't have a clue what it meant.

www.lyft.me/help?article

But I attended Ellen Cohens CAP meeting and found out lyft is being talked about in City council just as Uber is. Cohen's office is sending out a few random inquiries to civic associations to get a feel for how citizens might react to  lyft and uber -- The pink mustached cars are being used now but there is no money collected as there are no Houston ordinances set up yet.

Depending on how she words the inquiry she might be feedback on the Taxi issue also.

• 4 months later...

From the chron.com Brian Rosenthal

AUSTIN - A coalition of Texas disability advocates sued ride-share companies Uber and Lyft on Thursday as part of dozens of lawsuits filed around the state ahead of the anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act.

"Uber and Lyft are up and coming in terms of transportation companies, and they don't really have any means to provide wheelchair accessibility," said plaintiff David Wittie, of the advocacy group ADAPT of Texas. "They are socially irresponsible and not accessible and equivalent for people with disabilities."

Wittie said denials of services to disabled Texans led ADAPT and the Texas Civil Rights Project to target the two companies, which connect interested riders with willing drivers via smartphone apps.

Uber, Lyft respond

Spokespeople for Uber and Lyft said they had not seen the lawsuits, but rejected the allegations.

"Uber's technology increases access to transportation options for all, including persons with disabilities, and we are constantly working to expand those options," spokesman Lane Kasselman said.

"Lyft aims to accommodate anyone in the community who needs a ride," spokeswoman Katie Dally said. "Many disabled individuals, who were previously underserved by existing transportation options, now actively use and rely on Lyft as a reliable, safe and affordable way to get around."

The suits were filed in Travis County, but theoretically could affect the rest of the state, Wittie said. Uber and Lyft operate - albeit illegally - in several Texas cities, including Houston.

The Houston City Council is scheduled to vote next week on regulations proposed by Mayor Annise Parker that would allow them to operate legally if they acquire permits and carry commercial liability insurance, among other requirements. Taxi and limousine companies oppose the rules because they oppose the ride-sharing companies, and have filed federal lawsuits of their own to stop them.

Last month, three wheelchair-using Texans in Houston and San Antonio sued Uber and Lyft in federal court for alleged discrimination under the ADA, according to the Courthouse News Service.

Don't even get me started with the ADA.....Don't even!

Wow.  I'm having trouble coming up with a way to understand that comment.  

The ADA has been around for nearly a quarter century.  I'd expect that by now, even the most hard shelled, old school, "you dang kids get off of my yard" design professional would be accustomed to ADA compliance as just another specification.

I'm perfectly capable of using stairs, pushing or pulling doors open, etc.; however, ADA compliant public facilities are easier for all of us to use - and on a range from helpful to essential for people who need them.

From Ellen Cohens enewsletter

At a meeting of the Technology, Transportation, and Infrastructure Committee, Council reviewed Houston’s proposed vehicle-for-hire regulations. If approved, transportation network companies (TNC’s), such as Uber and Lyft, would be allowed to operate in our city alongside taxi, bus, and limousine companies. Revisions include:

a requirement that the TNC customer service liaison's contact information be available on both their app and the receipt provided

a requirement that the TNCs must transport passengers to all destinations located within the corporate limits of the city.

creation of the Houston Transportation Accessibility Task Force

a requirement that 2% of the entire vehicle-for-hire fleet be comprised of wheelchair accessible vehicles.

Council is expected to vote on the ordinance on August 6, 2014.

from Ellen Cohen's enewsletter

On the Agenda

Council amended Houston’s transportation ordinance to open the vehicle-for-hire market to new entrants, creating more transit choices for consumers. Transportation network companies such as Uber and Lyft connect drivers to riders in a “peer-to-peer” system via smartphone apps. The new regulations for these companies will go into effect in 90 days.

Archived