Odd Chirping Sounds At Night (not Crickets?)

bruce_oneal

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I live in Austin and hear the same sounds. At first was afraid they were tree roaches. But after finding this youtube video...this is the exact sound I hear at night and during the day all around my house.

Tons of these little frogs. I know someone already posted a video of the sounds, but it was hard to hear the audio of the other video. This one has me convinced:

Edited by Jibbles

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I can only wish that I stayed in a place where I could hear those kind of noises in the night. Unfortunately for me all I hear are sirens and car alarms going off. I am eagerly looking forward to the day when I can finally move from this neighborhood to one that is at least a bit quieter. 

• 9 months later...

Trying to find out  what this  chirping sound is. I  Hear it at night and it sounds like a smoke detector with low battery.  It's coming from  outside my home;  from a tree? the sky?  I've heard it before in my previous home.  I can't find the source and it's a bit unnerving.  It is not a cricket or crickets, sounds more mechanical, every two minutes or so, I hear that chirp.  Is that silly?  Has anyone heard anything like that?  It goes on for hours.

• 1 year later...
On 7/20/2005 at 9:54 AM, bruce_oneal said:

has anyone else been hearing these weird chirping sounds at night? i thought it was birds or something as it kinda sounds like a fire detector that has a low battery. but the sounds come from one tree to the next (and sometimes from the sky).

i was also thinking bats?

i know what crickets sounds like --or at least i thought i did.

been hearing it in westchase, but also was downtown last night and heard the sounds there too ... i have not seen any evidence of birds making the sounds.

Haha I went through the same thread of thoughts. Birds, bats, then crickets. I’m still unsure what the hell is that. It’s beautiful and spooky in the same time!

On 7/20/2005 at 10:08 PM, bruce_oneal said:

so now there are about 5 theories:

1. aliens --interesting but not probably --at least not in my 'hood

2. frogs (in trees no less)

3. chickadees

4. bats

5. nighthawks

lol

i was really serious when i wrote the post this a.m., but this is getting comical.

lol

It was the god damn frogs!!! 😂 beautiful sounding at night though. I captured one and put it in one of those lizard cages. The sound was confusing me I kept looking around the cage and beyond. I didn’t know it was coming from right there! 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

They are birds peeping in their sleep.  My father and mother always had fights about it.  He said it was tree frogs, and she said it was birds.  I came and looked it up just now because I actually thought I was really hearing bats.  We have quite a few bats in The Woodlands.  Anyway, I have looked up the sounds a bat makes and guess what?  We can't hear them without something like a sonar device.  So there ya go, it's birds having sweet dreams.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow, I'm glad to see so many other people googled to find out what was making  strange nocturnal chirping sounds. I listened to audio of all the critters suggested over the past 15 years since the original post, and I finally found the source of the sound I hear each night here in Austin. And the winner is.....RIO GRANDE CHIRPING FROG!!  It makes me happy knowing there are tiny frogs outside my bedroom window. 

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Okay, I'm a newbie, but I see this thread has been going on awhile. Glad I found it! I'm in SW Florida (now) and sit out on our lanai at night. Periodically I hear a noise; sounds like {remember when you were a kid and you blew up a balloon, then just held it closed and let the air out slow, the ends pinched between your fingers, so it sounded like a high pitched {fart} release of gas, or you stepped on your dog's squeaky toy? It's not crickets, or birds, or katydids or frogs - we also have our home in Wisconsin - I know all those sounds. Could it really be geckos? Thanks for anyone's input!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Thank you to those who identified the chirping sound as a Rio Grande Chirping Frog. 💕 

We’ve been hearing the chirping at night, but couldn’t place it. Like most others, I thought bird, my husband thought cricket, and we both agreed that it sounded like an alarm.

After reading the thread and listening to the videos posted with the sound made by the Rio Grande Chirping Frog which are a dead ringer for the chirping sound we’re hearing, we’re both happy to know what’s causing the chirping. Thank you!

Edited by Complexity