How is Houston's African-American Culture/Population compared to Atlanta

Houston?

Thanks posters. I've erased Charlotte and Dallas. Now it's betweeen Atlanta and Houston. Besides jobs, the winning factor between moving to Houston or staying put here (which I hope isn't the case) will be the black culture. If the black cultures are the same, that's fine. If Houston seems to be overshadowed by Mexican culture and seems to have a mediocre black culture compared to Atlanta, I may just have to stay put here. But I will know all of this by the end of the month, hopefully.

But slavery erased the history and cultural background of dozens of generations. The AA name was an attempt to reconnect to that history.

Fortunately for that kid, this is a free country where you can call yourself whatever you want, even if others like you don't like it.

Yeah he went a little overboard... Lol. I understand wanting to be in your own community, but the great thing about Houston is no natter where you work or play, you'll find your own community within that realm.

I really like Atlanta. My biggest complaint? Atlanta is a black and white city and the two rarely mix. It seems stuck in the past.

If you like that sort of thing, then Houston isn't for you. By no means is Houston a racial rainbow utopia, but it is way more diverse than Atlanta and the races intermingle more here.

In fact, it isn't uncommon to hear fans of other HBCUs blast on Texas Southern because it is becoming more Hispanic, specifically with regards to the Ocean of Soul. I happened to go to the Southern vs. TSU game last year, and the comments coming out of the mouths of the Southern fans about "whites and spics" in the TSU band amazed me. Lots of hostility shown. Those attitudes might help explain why Houston > Baton Rouge times 1,000,000.

I went to an HBCU. Most are, even TxSU (with the small Hispanic %), still 85%+ black. That's a different story. I understand what you are saying about Atlanta because it is very segregated to say the least. I dont mind diversity at all, but I just want to know is the black culture in full in effect in Houston like it is here. Trust me diversity doesn't scare me. I don't want to feel like I'm moving to a watered-down black cultured city from Atlanta. I just want to see is Houston's black culture on par and/or similar to Atlanta's and will I be disappointed and robbed by Houston's black culture. That's all.

Humbly suggested solution:

1) Monitor the Delta and United last minute weekend specials that come out each week in email (flights are Sat to Mon or Tues). Or an AirTran or Southwest fare sale, which would have the advantage of being able to come in on a Thurs or Fri to get some more weekend nightlife. Watch for a cheap fare.

2) Buy it when it pops up.

3) Do your online research about things you want to do when you get here. If you're primarily interested in nightlife, plan on a *lot* of club/bar hopping on Th/Fri/Sat night, just to get a feel for a broad spectrum of what's out there. Another option: maybe somebody here will offer to be your "local guide"?

4) Immerse yourself for 3-4 days

5) Make the call.

There's nothing like first-hand experience.

Side note: if you come May-Sept, do not let the heat/humidity scare you too much. It's much, much better Oct-April.

I went to an HBCU. Most are, even TxSU (with the small Hispanic %), still 85%+ black. That's a different story. I understand what you are saying about Atlanta because it is very segregated to say the least. I dont mind diversity at all, but I just want to know is the black culture in full in effect in Houston like it is here. Trust me diversity doesn't scare me. I don't want to feel like I'm moving to a watered-down black cultured city from Atlanta. I just want to see is Houston's black culture on par and/or similar to Atlanta's and will I be disappointed and robbed by Houston's black culture. That's all.

You can't really say diversity "doesn't scare" you and then say you might "be robbed by Houston's black culture." Houston is definitely diverse and indeed, it isn't Atlanta in your purist "African-American" sense.

From what I've experienced of Atlanta a few times, it is mostly a black and white city.

Houston is much more diverse but considering that Houston is nowadays something along the likes of 30% white, 30% black, 30% Latino and 10% everyone else...I'd say that African-American culture is very pronounced and well-expressed here, especially relative to other cities in the US like Tampa, San Diego, San Antonio, Indianapolis, Seattle and so forth.

But compared to Atlanta, Houston's "African-American" culture would be smaller (but certainly not "watered-down"...H-town has been known for its rap scene), or better put, simply more integrated in the diverse Houston social fabric. Like others stated, there are many natives from Africa and the Carribean here too. More so than Atlanta.

Take a trip to downtown Houston on the weekend nights...lots of African-American clubs there...but these are intermingled with laid back bars that cater more to whites and other clubs that cater to Latinos. Downtown Houston's nightlife is a hodge-podge of high end Theater District cultural traffic...and hip hop night life Houston is wonderfully jumbled that way.

African-American culture in Houston surely is in "full-effect" (I mean, geez, look at something cool like Rick Lowe's Project Row) but it simply has to share the geography with the cultures of the Lebanese, Korean, Salvadoran, Filipino, Pakistani, Taiwanese, Nigerian...

Anyway, if you're more of a black "African-American culture" purist, judging everything relative to the ATL, then Houston probably isn't for you.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got back home from Houston. Houston is so freaking huge! The size puts Atlanta to shame. Oh yea, Houston does have alot of blacks and alot of everything else. Much more diverse than Atlanta and more stuff to do. I went to Pleasure Pier in Galveston, went to the Galleria, and tried some restaurants in Chinatown. Houston got some fine sistas and they drive expensive cars. I went to Bambou and M-Lounge for the nightlife and had a good time. Houston is a cool city and reminds me of LA a little bit. I didn't want to come back home. Houston's black culture is on par with Atlanta's IMO.

I just got back home from Houston. Houston is so freaking huge! The size puts Atlanta to shame. Oh yea, Houston does have alot of blacks and alot of everything else. Much more diverse than Atlanta and more stuff to do. I went to Pleasure Pier in Galveston, went to the Galleria, and tried some restaurants in Chinatown. Houston got some fine sistas and they drive expensive cars. I went to Bambou and M-Lounge for the nightlife and had a good time. Houston is a cool city and reminds me of LA a little bit. I didn't want to come back home. Houston's black culture is on par with Atlanta's IMO.

Glad you enjoyed Houston! There's plenty more here besides Pleasure Pier, M-Lounge and the Galleria, though. You'll find that out when you come back, though.

• 3 years later...
On 3/22/2012 at 11:30 AM, ricco67 said:

Your post did come across as being a bit xenophobic.

To simply make sure you have a particular "culture" you want to hang out with, to me, describes someone that isn't that open to other things and other ideas.

It's akin to a Mexican American that simply seeks out a portion of the city where you don't have to speak english, eat nothing but tacos, and hang out at the mexican bar and listen to Tejano and Ranchero music.

Of course, I could be totally off base of what I'm saying.

While this is late, it does not seem xenophobic at all. It seems as natural as day and night to wish to be with one's own. They form a base for the individual. The person can and will mix and share with  other cultures and peoples.

• 3 months later...
On 3/22/2012 at 9:30 AM, ricco67 said:

To simply make sure you have a particular "culture" you want to hang out with, to me, describes someone that isn't that open to other things and other ideas.

It's akin to a Mexican American that simply seeks out a portion of the city where you don't have to speak english, eat nothing but tacos, and hang out at the mexican bar and listen to Tejano and Ranchero music.

What is wrong with that? What is wrong with wanting to hang out with your own kind? Why do we want to assume that every culture needs to assimilate well and peacefully with another, and if we don't, we're racist or xenophobic? Why can't we all just get along with each other for the sake of it, instead of pretending that we can and should assimilate with everyone with a socially acceptable level of understanding>?

• 2 years later...

Hey, @Houston?,

What happened? Did you end up moving to H-town? If so, do you love it?? I do have to say, Texas women are FIERCE. Sometimes when I travel to other states I'm amazed at the overall lower level of female beauty.  I've lived in Texas my entire life, so I didn't fully appreciate how impressive Texas women really are until I looked around other places. Of course, I'm a little biased because I'm one of those fierce, sexy Texas women. 😉

I stumbled across this thread because we're about to move from Houston to Atlanta. Really interesting discussion. I LOVE the diversity of Houston. I love where I live--Meyerland area, right in the middle of so many cultures: strong black community literally backs up to my neighborhood, Big HIspanic community right on the other side of Braeswood, lots of liberal hip white people a short ride down Braeswood, huge Jewish community a mile down Braeswood (Kosher sections in all my nearest grocery stores, except the Hispanic "Fiesta" store--which is great), China town immediately north of me, Hillcroft Indian area minutes away-- honestly, I love love love this area. And I'll never find a place like this is Atlanta. The intersection of the cultures here is so very special and gives Houston this...FLAVOR. That's really the best word to describe it, especially considering the food here is PHENOMENAL.

I've spent a lot of time in Atl because my brother lives there (Ormewood Park, right across Moreland from East Atl, an exit down from Grant Park, right across I 20 from little five points...basically awesome.) We absolutely love it, but I know I'll have to fly back for a taste of Houston regularly. The country has certainly changed a lot since your post (or perhaps more accurately--people have shown their colors. And asses.) Thinking of leaving my safe, deep-blue, lovely, tolerant, diverse haven in H-town to move to purple Cobb County (where my hubs job will be) scares the crap out of me. I'm comparing all the houses I like to the voting results map. Really trying to stay closer to West Cobb or Skip over to Fulton County in the Dunwoody area. I'm the whitest skinned woman ever but living in red Trumper hell and sending my kids to all-white schools is NOT an option. It's terrifying. I suppose that's one way Houston and Atlanta are the same--blue islands in a sea of red. 

I do really want to know what you decided to do and how things have turned out for you. I hope you're happy no matter where you are.

xoxo, Houston Gal

• 4 months later...
On 3/21/2012 at 2:32 PM, ChrisPHous said:

African American...

I am white and I can't comment on Charolette, but Houston is very mixed. Houston has a very strong black culture and I think that it is very comparable to Atlanta's. If you could be more specific as to what you are wondering about it would probably be easier to answer any questions.

Dallas I find a little more segregated than Houston and AA culture doesn't have much of a presence, at least on the surface in that city.

Dallas is most definitely segregated & stuck in the 1950s mentality. 

• 5 months later...

stick to Atlanta if you want culture and it seems for unified.

We had schools given to us in the suburbs but we didn't realize the value we had and ran to join others and then our schools get the bad rap. When blacks get to a certain wealth and political value, we let in-fighting kill it and rather move up the road to be comfortable with no power and voice

Archived