Sign in to follow this  
missjanel

Property Tax Protest Services

IHB2    40
What kind of evidence is considered good evidence to bring down the value? Should I just take pictures of any cracks, blemishes, and things needing repair on my property?

go to the HCAD website and you will find downloadable instructions for what to submit for an online "i settle" or in-person Appraisal Review Board hearing.

you can also search your address (which also links all nearby addresses) for current and past 5 yrs appraised values.

1st thing you will need if you want to be taken seriously at an ARB hearing is a current appraisal, so plan on spending $300 or so just to play the game.

TheNiche    969

go to the HCAD website and you will find downloadable instructions for what to submit for an online "i settle" or in-person Appraisal Review Board hearing.

you can also search your address (which also links all nearby addresses) for current and past 5 yrs appraised values.

1st thing you will need if you want to be taken seriously at an ARB hearing is a current appraisal, so plan on spending $300 or so just to play the game.

No, at this point in the tax year, qwerty will need to write a letter to the appraisal district and beg for help. Qwerty should follow this up with phone calls spaced at about once a month in order to try and prod them into responding. They are under no obligation to communicate according to statutory requirements, to meet with him, to offer to settle at a new value, or to grant an ARB hearing.

As for the suggestion that an appraisal should be obtained, don't forget that an appraiser is less able to overtly cherry-pick information than a homeowner is. The appraisal might very nearly guarantee a reduction, but may also be a limiting factor where the amount of a reduction is concerned. (Also, the appraisal should not be current. It would have to be back-dated to January 1st, 2012.)

IHB2    40

No, at this point in the tax year, qwerty will need to write a letter to the appraisal district and beg for help. Qwerty should follow this up with phone calls spaced at about once a month in order to try and prod them into responding. They are under no obligation to communicate according to statutory requirements, to meet with him, to offer to settle at a new value, or to grant an ARB hearing.

As for the suggestion that an appraisal should be obtained, don't forget that an appraiser is less able to overtly cherry-pick information than a homeowner is. The appraisal might very nearly guarantee a reduction, but may also be a limiting factor where the amount of a reduction is concerned. (Also, the appraisal should not be current. It would have to be back-dated to January 1st, 2012.)

yes I know his options narrowed after May 31, but qwerty asked the most general question possible about evidence, suggesting he has not visted the HCAD site - the site has the docs that explain the process and what they expect to see from a protester. back-dating the appraisal is not a problem, but IMO the HCAD appraiser's cherry-picking of comps is a bigger problem for the protester than any info specific to the property in question, which is why I prefer to go to battle armed with my own appraiser's comps.

TheNiche    969

yes I know his options narrowed after May 31, but qwerty asked the most general question possible about evidence, suggesting he has not visted the HCAD site - the site has the docs that explain the process and what they expect to see from a protester. back-dating the appraisal is not a problem, but IMO the HCAD appraiser's cherry-picking of comps is a bigger problem for the protester than any info specific to the property in question, which is why I prefer to go to battle armed with my own appraiser's comps.

You don't have to be an appraiser to pick favorable comps. Just try to avoid foreclosures unless you can demonstrate a high foreclosure rate in the same neighborhood, then avoid mentioning sales that weren't listed with a broker or that obviously sold between related parties.

Fringe    326

Bumping an old thread since HCAD raised the appraisal of my Houston house by around 30%. Tried the online appeal but they only knocked off a couple of thousand dollars. Anyone have any new suggestions on a property tax appeal company?  Anyone try Jubally with sucess?