TxDOT Concerning Numbering Exits And Milemarkers On Non Interstate Designated Freeways

Perhaps this is just a thing noticed by roadgeeks, I don't know, but all Interstates have exit numbers that roughly correspond to the mileage markers posted beside the road. When it comes to US Highways in Texas that have sections of freeway, not all exits are numbered, and milemarkers are rare. I've seen a few exceptions outside of Texas. Inside Texas I've seen exceptions such as the US 75 Central Expressway in Dallas which contains numbered exits and milemarkers, and a few numbered exits on US 59 in Livingston, though without milemarkers. Here's a link to a pic of exit "434D" in Livingston.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=US+59,+Livingston,+TX&sll=32.79431,-96.792662&sspn=0.003923,0.010504&ie=UTF8&ll=30.719647,-94.95065&spn=0.004012,0.010504&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=30.719519,-94.950765&panoid=c1Pr9Tk2wzvmECziSQhdOg&cbp=12,70.56,,0,-5.85

I'm just curious if anyone knows what TxDOT's rationale behind this exclusion of mile markers and numbered exits on most US highways in Texas is. Seems like they would be helpful when it comes to emergency calls, especially milemarkers. It seems like telling 911 that an accident happened near milemarker xxx is better than saying "the accident is somewhere between Livingston and Houston."

I don't know the rationale as to what they post and what they don't, but every road on the state system does have milepoint designations.

I've seen what I assume are mile marker signs on some US and state highway signs in town, nowhere near as prominent as the signs on the Interstates. They're simply small green signs with tiny numbers on them, you can't see them well unless you're traveling slowly or at a stop. There's a US 90 Alt sign on OST and Almeda which has a number on it, 600-something, I can't remember exactly what it is. But US 90 Alt's length is much less than 600 miles. If I'm remembering correctly, it only runs from Seguin to the east side of Houston. That probably puts it somewhere closer to 200 miles in length instead.

There's a US 90 Alt sign on OST and Almeda which has a number on it, 600-something, I can't remember exactly what it is. But US 90 Alt's length is much less than 600 miles. If I'm remembering correctly, it only runs from Seguin to the east side of Houston. That probably puts it somewhere closer to 200 miles in length instead.

Actually, it ends in Van Horn and extends all the way to Florida. It's 1,633 miles long. http://en.wikipedia....i/U.S._Route_90

Edit: Whoops. I got it a little mixed up. US 90 runs to Van Horn, US 90 ALT runs from Seguin to Houston.

The markers on non-Interstate highways are part of the Texas Reference Marker System.

TxDOT derives Reference marker numbers by imposing a grid on a map of Texas. Grid axes are set on extreme western and northern points, where numbering begins with ten. The first reference marker numbers match approximate grid locations. Subsequent marker numbers increase by two. Numbers increase north to south and west to east, depending on the highway's general direction. The numbers are continuous from beginning to end across the state and do not start over at county lines.

More info here.

The markers on non-Interstate highways are part of the Texas Reference Marker System.

TxDOT derives Reference marker numbers by imposing a grid on a map of Texas. Grid axes are set on extreme western and northern points, where numbering begins with ten. The first reference marker numbers match approximate grid locations. Subsequent marker numbers increase by two. Numbers increase north to south and west to east, depending on the highway's general direction. The numbers are continuous from beginning to end across the state and do not start over at county lines.

More info here.

Interesting reading. Thanks!

• The title was changed to TxDOT Concerning Numbering Exits And Milemarkers On Non Interstate Designated Freeways

Archived