What Are The Worst/bes Local Ads You Can Think Of?

BayouCityGirl

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would have to say the attorney commercials rank high in my book of hated ads.

"I won $500,000. Thanks Mr. Adler!....I'm Jim Adler!!!!! The Texas Hammer!!!" :angry:

"Hi......I'm Christian Hill..........and I'm here for you" ;)

"Hi...I'm Robert Vaughn......Call Smith and Hassler today" ;)

or.....

The RODNEY D. YOUNG commercials of the late 80's, early 90's

"Think YOUNG!! RODNEY D. YOUNG!!!"

They are on their way to the Pride March.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

If you didn't really feel there was anything wrong with being gay I don't think you would have felt the need to put "guys" in quotes in your first post, nor reiterate your idea that there's not "anything wrong with that." The tone of your original post is negative and can be taken as a slur.

In any case, I think the sexual orientation of the Sonic guys is irrelevant. The ad is annoying but there's nothing gay about it. I'm gay and have a pretty good gaydar and I don't get any homosexual vibes off those ads.

Anyway, I could go on and on about how comments like that needlessly hurt other people and how they reflect a sense of prejudice and a lack of maturity on the part of the person saying them. But I won't. I'm just going to say that comments like that that may seem funny to you may not be taken that way by other people who may have been bullied around and treated unfairly simply because they are different. I think your comments were a little off-topic for this forum and can be insulting. Let's keep it on topic and friendly, okay?

It's not a local ad but I really love the new HP digital photography ad where the people pick up empty white photo frames and hold them over their face and their expression instantly freezes and becomes a photo, which they set down or hand to another person who holds it in front of his/her face. It's a really creative ad with a catchy song. There are a couple of versions of it running on TV, with a long full version running at some of the movie theaters around town.

The catchy song is "Picture Book" by the Kinks.

Love this ad, too.

• 10 months later...

That ad for The Hand Center, where the guy says something about caring for you is as easy as caring for my little girl Sophie...

Ya know, "cute" usually makes me puke; but gosh, what an adorable child! She giggles and coos and holds up her hand as if on cue. They really lucked out on that shot.

The man and woman on the Fred Haas Toyota World ads are professional car ad announcers. Their voices are on car ads all over the country for different dealers. Just last week I heard them hawking cars in South Carolina, and I've encountered them in at least four or five other states. Only here have I heard them doing the whole "Today Friday and tomorrow Saturday" thing.

Tom Park, who does ads for the Ron Carter dealership in Alvin, is another one. I've seen him in a variety of other cities doing car dealer ads. At least he's not as annoying as the Fred Haas people.

OMG! I am so sorry you had to listen to them in diff. states! LOL! Its kinda like the Jewelry Factory warehouse or whatever. I forgot the official title but the ad on TV looks cheap however, I saw the ad in California and the suburb of Ft.Worth

ooh yea! LOL! I remember that!

I think every commerical after a news segment is a car or truck ad. I recorded off my TV some things around Houston (like for example our commericals, our news, events in Houston, etc..) and she cracked up saying that she has never seen SO many car and truck ads before!

The one where the pets are singing "Advantage" (the dog I think is singing in this one and the cat is prowling, birds are singing to "The Lion Sleeps tonight")

Her brother lives down here and wants her to hear "Marvin Zindler's slime in the ice machine report"

:)

I miss the spongemonkyes in the Quizmo's commercials. "WE LIKE THE SUBS....BECASUE THEY ARE GOOD TO US!!!"

The Houston Rockets comercials are pretty good, and Jack In The Box is still pretty good but have gone a little downhill lately. Yea, Mr. Box.

Some of us cant wait to go back home and watch real commercials for a change.

AFN doesn't show any addvertising. It's some deal they have with the networks.

Instead they show Department of Defense commercials. They are sooooooo lame and annoying. Imagine all those lawyer comercials,Tech school commercials and public service announcements 24/7.

Instead of Superbowl commercials we got DOD comercials. Yeah it's a dumb thing to whine about.......it makes our tour here a lot less tolerable

For local commercials, the worst are the Kemah boardwalk and Trader's Village commercials. So annoying and not at all creative.

"The fun never stops (come and get it), the fun never stops...at Kemah boardwalk". Duh, hilt hilt...der.

The best local commercial in Houston history is the Thunderbolt Transmission commercial. It looked soo "Urban Cowboy". Everyone used to say that woman looked like my aunt at the time and she did. They remade it a couple of years; I don't know why they just didn't keep the old one. It's so retro and nostalgic.

ooh I hated the thunderbolt ad! Commerical was too fake for me. I don't see much of the Kemah commericals.

I hate the lawyer/trade school ads (when i wasn't working)

Anyone like "Kathy" from the insurance commericals. I always wondered if that were her real kids in the pictures (when she's behind a desk with books)

Your aunt must have been pretty hot!! Does it run in the famiily?
Well, she was my aunt by marriage. I still occasionally see her, but that commercial was a long time ago and people change. ;)

ooh I hated the thunderbolt ad! Commerical was too fake for me.

That's part of its charm.

Anyone like "Kathy" from the insurance commericals. I always wondered if that were her real kids in the pictures (when she's behind a desk with books)

That's so funny. If that's the one I'm thinking of, just this morning I saw one of those commercials and was thinking how annoying she is.

I agree with you there with the Sonic guys (or wives)?

I mean no wonder they are at Sonic all the time. Stop talking and more eating!

I don't like the Jared vs. McDonalds or fast food ads. Okay Jared we got your point in comparison but the subway I usually go to isn't that fresh. I have had stale bread sitting in bins before. They use the cheapest meat (ham, turkey) Sysco probably sells to them and they are costly for a sub place.

The court ad with Subway and Jared is ridiculous!

Taco Cabana and the old guy playing the guitar. Mr. go find something to do other then sing about a resturant that smells like your mothers kitchen..and NO there is NO Fajita bush!

:P

Archived