Abandoned Tunnels

djrage

Just found this.

http://amarillo.com/stories/090897/tunnel.html

Apparently, it did not happen afterall.  When the Port of Houston found out they would have to shut the port 55 times to accomplish the maneuver, they flipped out.  TxDOT cancelled the contract, and instead, it was crushed in place.

My bad.

I do distincly remember going through that tunnel many times.

Chet Cuccia

• 3 months later...

The "catacombs" in and around Magnolia Brewery and Power Tools were the basement of the Houston Ice and Brewing Company that was constructed from the 1880's to the 1910's. It's building actually spanned the bayou at Franklin/Louisiana. The Brewery Tap and the building just north on Milam are a small portion of the original buildings. There were no tunnels leading to Market Square but there may have been some to the bayou for loading and unloading supplies. The brewrey was destroyed by the 1935 (I believe) flood. Debris piled against the building supports in the bayou forming a dam. A good portion of the building eventually collapsed into the bayou.

UH Downtown has a tunnel accessing the remains of a dock. When UH constructed the new parking garage back in the nineties, they uncovered a cistern and tunnel from the old Anheuser Busch Brewyer that was located on the site. Apparently, it was an artesian well that was used for beer production and the tunnel was to divert the overflow into the bayou.

Where Market Square garage is today, originally stood the Henke Pillot Grocery store (ca 1900) and most likely had a large basement area. This would have been removed while digging the foundation for the garage.

City Hall in Market Square would have had a substantial basement area also, some of which may remain, only filled in.

Sorry to dismiss a popular urban legend but the Donellen Tomb is a myth. That is, if there ever was a tomb, it was demolished when the brewery was constructed and what remains today is is part of that building.

I was fairly sure that the old city hall/market house in Market Square did not have a basement or tunnels, because I happened to see the floor plans at the Texas Room a while back. If you look at old pictures it appears to be flush with the ground, with no indication of ventilation windows for a cellar.

• 3 months later...
I've always wonderd about this as well. When was the tunnel system built? (or opened or completed or whatever) Anyone have any old maps?

It's amazing how cars used to be. I showed my dad and his cousin an old photo of the Baytown-LaPorte tunnel. Both of them could identify at a mere glance the year, make, and model of all of the cars in that photo going in and coming out of the tunnel.

They said that today vehicles are all so much alike that you can't distinguish one from another the way that you once could do.

> Both of them could identify at a mere glance the year, make, and model of all of the cars in that photo going >in and coming out of the tunnel.

>They said that today vehicles are all so much alike that you can't distinguish one from another the way that >you once could do.

I was that way even as a kid in the 60's. Cars in general probably were a little

more exciting back in those days, and the beginning of the new model year in

Sept. was a much bigger deal in the 50's, 60's. With all the new fangled gadjits

they have these days, cars are kinda ho-hum. And many do look about the same.

You take the late 50's...Each year, the car looked quite a bit different. Say compare

the 56-57-58-59-60 chevy sedans. All are quite a bit different. Ditto for ford pretty

much. Also, there were less brands of cars on the road in those days. Most

all drove american cars, except for the few that wanted EU sports cars, etc.

You didn't have the vast number of different models that you have now.

I don't keep up with the newer cars near as much as I did years ago.

MK

Which came first, the baytown tunnel, or the washburn tunnel? also, i know its not abandoned, but would you consider that really long underpass below the old train yard on north main a tunnel? also, are they going to get rid of it when they build hardy yards?

Which came first, the baytown tunnel, or the washburn tunnel? also, i know its not abandoned, but would you consider that really long underpass below the old train yard on north main a tunnel? also, are they going to get rid of it when they build hardy yards?

Washburn Tunnel opened May 27, 1950 (source: Harris County, Pct 2)

Baytown Tunnel opened September 22, 1953 (source: TxDOT)

I know its not abandoned, but would you consider that really long underpass below the old train yard on north main a tunnel? also, are they going to get rid of it when they build hardy yards?

Actually there is talk of rebuilding it to accommodate the new Metro trains. A study was done and a bridge would not work at that site. Many of the old tunnels and underpasses leaving downtown Houston were originally built to accommodate the original trolleys and streetcars that use to run all over the place in the late 1800's to the early 1900's.

Archived