Prairie View A&M University Developments

hbcu

I'm a graduate of Prairie View A&M and I can remember when it TOOK FOREVER to get there when I used to ride to Navasota on Highway 290. Before I moved out of state, I lived by Willowbrook Mall for 3 years (loved the apartment complex) and also lived in Tomball by the hospital so I'm familiar with 2920's development and anything along Highway 290 and 249. Anyone who lives near the 249 and 1960 interchanges has the best of both worlds because two miles either way the areas are like night and day and you have access to plenty of unique places.

Newquest has property on Bauer Road in between Ranch Country and Fairfield that I'm not mistaken will be a residential neighborhood. I know about Bridgelands plans on the south side of 290 but with Ranch County already established and Cypresswood Trails (whatever it's name) opening in front of Ranch County (Becker Road) will developers start to develop the city of Hockley, Waller and Prairie View since land is getting scarce or will they wait untl Bridgelands is built out and build offshoot neighborhoods?

When I worked at PV, a developer stopped through and had plans to build a community at Kickapoo and 290 that included a community college, retail center and a football stadium he wanted Waller ISD and PV to join together in. I haven't heard anything since 2004 about the development. Anyone familiar with it?

I took a drive to College Station recently and noticed along 290 by PV that some large land company has bought ALL of the 290 frontage from Waller to Hempstead. Is anything in the works down the line or it's just pure speculation?

• Like 1

I'm a graduate of Prairie View A&M and I can remember when it TOOK FOREVER to get there when I used to ride to Navasota on Highway 290. Before I moved out of state, I lived by Willowbrook Mall for 3 years (loved the apartment complex) and also lived in Tomball by the hospital so I'm familiar with 2920's development and anything along Highway 290 and 249. Anyone who lives near the 249 and 1960 interchanges has the best of both worlds because two miles either way the areas are like night and day and you have access to plenty of unique places.

Newquest has property on Bauer Road in between Ranch Country and Fairfield that I'm not mistaken will be a residential neighborhood. I know about Bridgelands plans on the south side of 290 but with Ranch County already established and Cypresswood Trails (whatever it's name) opening in front of Ranch County (Becker Road) will developers start to develop the city of Hockley, Waller and Prairie View since land is getting scarce or will they wait untl Bridgelands is built out and build offshoot neighborhoods?

When I worked at PV, a developer stopped through and had plans to build a community at Kickapoo and 290 that included a community college, retail center and a football stadium he wanted Waller ISD and PV to join together in. I haven't heard anything since 2004 about the development. Anyone familiar with it?

I took a drive to College Station recently and noticed along 290 by PV that some large land company has bought ALL of the 290 frontage from Waller to Hempstead. Is anything in the works down the line or it's just pure speculation?

I know one thing, Prairie View Needs some development. Not anything major, but maybe a small downtown area like the one in Sugarland, but smaller. The students there have no where to go and nothing to do out there. Except for Williams Chicken.

• Like 1

Older landowners have prevented the development....I had the opportunity to interview the manager of Jack-In-The-Box back in 1999 when it first opened in Waller and he said they wanted to come to PV first but could not acquire any land. Those same landowners also said they wanted 290 to run below ground so that's why the freeway runs below at the point.

The Williams Chicken was some kind of deal with the city and designed to be a training center.

With Houston coming that way now I don't see PV really developing much on its own. Alot of students commute to Houston anyway and the professional folks who are getting jobs there now are staying in the suburbs anyway so once 5 p.m. hits they are back in Houston.

a lot of them stay? a sentence diagram would sure be interesting.

I think what Trae was trying to say is, a lot of PV students stay in Cypress. It only takes 10-15 minutes to get to Prairie View from Fry Road.

At least that's the way I read it. ;)

And there's never a time when sentence diagrams are interesting. That **** got me kicked out of Honors English in 6th grade. Well, that and the whole "reading books" thing. :(

Edited by Original Timmy Chan's

Original Timmy Chan.....which "original" TC are you referring to?

The South Park Location on MLK or the one on Hillcroft which actually served fried chicken from self rising flour? The Hillcroft location was the best one and was known for some legitimate chinese food. The ones we see now are nothing but six wings/fried rice joints and the product isn't the same.

Prairie View is in a prime area and needs to capitalize on the growth.....it's turning into a commuter campus now for undergrads because housing has risen drastically the past few years and it's cheaper to stay off 1960 and 290 in a cheap apartment complex than stay on campus.

I think what Trae was trying to say is, a lot of PV students stay in Cypress. It only takes 10-15 minutes to get to Prairie View from Fry Road.

At least that's the way I read it. ;)

And there's never a time when sentence diagrams are interesting. That **** got me kicked out of Honors English in 6th grade. Well, that and the whole "reading books" thing. :(

lol. that is hilarious

What are you talking about?

i guess i'm old school if you don't know hat i'm talking about.

• The title was changed to Prairie View A&M University Land
  • 1 year later...

I'd thought there was a thread for general developments at or around the campus but I just wasn't able to find it. 

XfM7ULV.jpg

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2023/06/23/pvamu-opens-new-engineering-building.html?cx_testId=40&cx_testVariant=cx_27&cx_artPos=5#cxrecs_s

"Prairie View A&M University, Texas' oldest historically Black university, celebrated the grand opening of its new $70 million building for its Roy G. Perry College of Engineering complex on June 22.

The 106,000-square-foot building, which is known as the Engineering Classroom and Research Building, is at the intersection of Reda Bland Evans Street and E.E. O’Bannion Street on the north end of campus. It incorporates student spaces and focused research spaces, with nearly two-thirds dedicated for classroom instruction and one-third for faculty and grad student research lab space."

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Prairie View A&M University Developments