Is it Worth Living In A Golf Course Community

Import

I really like the idea of living in a house backing onto a golf course. Although I am sure you can point out lots of disadvantages :)

The things is we don't play golf. Never have and probably never will.

So is it worth buying a golf course home? Do you have to like golf?

I am assuming you pay extra in HOA fees etc for the priviledge? And if we lived in one would we feel the odd ones out among the neighbors?

Good question especially after how it seems investors have purchased and are going to redevelop two area golf courses here in Houston (Inwood Forest, and Clear Lake). One could buy a very nice home on a golf course and then a few years later find out that KB Homes or some strip club or a road could be located on your back fence. Scary if you ask me, not sure how you would do the due diligence to safely secure your interest and your view.

Good luck,

Scharpe St Guy

Houston is way overbuilt on golf course communities right now, and there are several that are in bankruptcy, or will soon be.

Golf course communities offer quick cash to developers; they build up the course, then sell the lots fast to other developers who build the homes. Then the original developer flips the course to other private money, often with highly optimistic forecast numbers on the revenue brought in by green fees from players that don't live on the course (that money is necessary to keep the course afloat). But since there are a lot of golf courses, that revenue doesn't always materialize, and the new owners of the golf course can't make ends meet. There have been some prominent people in Houston who have lost, and are still losing, millions in these scenarios.

So, that said, unless you are buying in one of the real high-end communities, I would be hesitant to buy on a course if you have no interest in golf. I don't think the neighbors would think you odd, but your "investment" may be risky.

Thanks, you made some very good points... definately worth thinking about. And my next question was going to be about those stray golf balls :-)

Just take a look where the property is in relation to the tee box. Some houses are more likely to be shelled by golf balls than others.

Just take a look where the property is in relation to the tee box. Some houses are more likely to be shelled by golf balls than others.

That will certainly help you minimize the damage, but it probably won't eliminate it. A friend of mine selected his lot based on that exact theory but his house was still pounded by errant balls. There are enough hacks out there that no matter where your house is located on the course, its probably not totally safe.

If you want to live on a golf course, getting hit by balls is just part of the "experience".

• The title was changed to Is it Worth Living In A Golf Course Community