working at the nucleus of H-town..what's it like

And, HOW'S THE PARKING?

I am applying for a part-time, low paying position at a bank and it's downtown. I could've applied at a branch closer to where i live but I'm curious about downtown.

not sure exactly where you're going to work downtown but you might considering parking farther out and taking the bus or train. i've seen some for up to $10/day. and if you leave and come back? then you pay again. i know some places lease it out by the month/yr.

And, HOW'S THE PARKING?

I am applying for a part-time, low paying position at a bank and it's downtown. I could've applied at a branch closer to where i live but I'm curious about downtown.

IMO, working downtown is fine for people whose parking is paid for (or whose wages are high enough to comfortably afford parking). I'm not sure I see the appeal of the extra expense when the position doesn't pay that much. Or the extra time involved to park far away to save money (your time is worth something as well!).

a friend of mine at bracewell guiliani law firm told me this....

I'm in the Pennzoil building but I park at the city's Theatre District parking under Bayou Place and walk through the tunnel to get to the office. The firm give us $100 bucks a month and then we kick in the rest for the $125 monthly rate. If you want a reserved spot it's $200 a month.

• 1 month later...
And, HOW'S THE PARKING?

Parking stinks. I park in one of those 'Church Lots' and i can tell you that it is crowded. You have trucks mixed in with parking and it is hard to get into tiny spots when it starts filling up. You have to get there early. Also, i've noticed several times on my credit card statements that the parking lot charges twice for the same all day parking. Now i only use cash. I pay 6 bucks a day. A contract parking spot a few blocks away is like $105 per month, but i didn't want to walk any further to my office. Unless your employer is re-imbursing for your parking,not worth it.

a friend of mine at bracewell guiliani law firm told me this....

I'm in the Pennzoil building but I park at the city's Theatre District parking under Bayou Place and walk through the tunnel to get to the office. The firm give us $100 bucks a month and then we kick in the rest for the $125 monthly rate. If you want a reserved spot it's $200 a month.

I was fortunate that when I started @ Pennzoil in 1993 the company helped pay for our parking in that same underground spot he mentioned, had it made. As the years passed the company got tighter budgets trimmed to the point that ParknRide was the only economic option left.

Also in those days you could still park FREE all day at areas around Minute Maid but one day I came out and my car did a disappearing act! Was towed because they had installed meters that day, talk about outraged. I along with about 80 were towed.Gave us the Big Kahuna!

If Downtown (the city) can find a way to make a buck by golly their are gonna do it. Put the shaft to the average Joe :wacko: