HOA Rules

SamBanker

Does anyone know if a HOA has to follow any guidelines set out by the state/city or are the self governed? I have a HOA that does not seem to be doing anything (I do not even know who they are or how to get a hold of them) and I would like to get involved.

i think the state determines how they are formed, what powers they have, etc. But i believe they write their own bylaws.

when you say they aren't doing anything, what aren't they doing specifically that you would like to see them do?

i think the state determines how they are formed, what powers they have, etc. But i believe they write their own bylaws.

when you say they aren't doing anything, what aren't they doing specifically that you would like to see them do?

Texas does have statutes that regulate Homeowner's Associations. For condominium's, the homeowner's association is subject to the Uniform Condominium Act under Title 7 of the Property Code. If you live in a fee simple (traditional home or townhouse), the Homeowner's Association is regulated under Title 11 of the Property Code.

Most of the statutory law deals with title issues, disclosure, accounting, and enforcing deed restrictions.

• 4 weeks later...

Sam,

I'm on an HOA Board in one of the older neighborhoods in Cypress. Our main goal is to improve our residents' property values. Unfortunately, we have a difficult time getting many to volunteer or even participate in HOA "business". I'm sure that when you find out who your board members are that they will welcome any participation. Most neighborhoods have newsletters sent to residents. In yours there should be a list of directors or at least an announcement of meeting times and location.

JU

• 5 weeks later...
Does anyone know if a HOA has to follow any guidelines set out by the state/city or are the self governed? I have a HOA that does not seem to be doing anything (I do not even know who they are or how to get a hold of them) and I would like to get involved.

What area of town/neighborhood are you in?

Also if you dont know who they are and would still like to nmeet them, just "forget" to pay your HOA fees, they will come to you.

Ugh. HOAs make me sick. At least government is theoretically accountable for its actions and ostensibly functions in a democratic manner. HOAs always make me think of the neighborhood gestapo.

They might not allow you to participate in elections or volunteer if you don't pay your dues. You should contact the board, not the management company, although the management company may be able to tell you who some of the members are.

Guest Marty

I wish my HOA had a website but you can look at old news stories about my HOA from several years back like buying a expensive car and collage corruption. I found this about buy reading back issues of The Spring Observer, Just Google Birnam Wood section 1 around Birnam Wood BLVD at Reynoldo. Section 3 Birnam Wood is a different HOA and more strick like you can only have your garage door open long enough to park your car. five minutes

What area of town/neighborhood are you in?

Also if you dont know who they are and would still like to nmeet them, just "forget" to pay your HOA fees, they will come to you.

Contact the county you reside in. We have property in Harris, Anderson, Sabine and Montgomery Counties. The precinct commisioners and constables are very helpful but only if YOU contact THEM. Don't "forget" to pay your dues until you have a satisfactory resolution otherwise you end up with pass-due bills that may wreck your credit rating. If the resolution process fails, at least you will have the documentary evidence that shows you tried to resolve whatever issues you might have. Do your part and put the onus on the HOA's.

I wish my HOA had a website but you can look at old news stories about my HOA from several years back like buying a expensive car and collage corruption. I found this about buy reading back issues of The Spring Observer, Just Google Birnam Wood section 1 around Birnam Wood BLVD at Reynoldo. Section 3 Birnam Wood is a different HOA and more strick like you can only have your garage door open long enough to park your car. five minutes

I think ours is strict but theres nothing in there about garage doors being open ;)

Strong COAs/HOAs are good. Keeps the neighborhood clean and uniformed and keeps out the great unwashed, unruly, filth soaked public :lol::lol:

If theres something you dont like, you can always run for the board and or get your neighbors onboard, to create positive change in the community.

If theres something you dont like, you can always run for the board and or get your neighbors onboard, to create positive change in the community.

I agree, if there are things going on that you don't like, get involved. Talk to your neighbors and get involved. An HOA is by and for the residents. Start by ayttending meetings, you may learn that the group dynamics played out in this group aren't always what you expect. Any group of people will have differing opinions (just look at the lot of us on this message board) so you should see that some are tight with the budget some push for swim team and other community building events, some are deed restriction enforcers and some want to lock things down and are concerned with the kids causing trouble in their nice quiet retreat. It is the most local form of government. The board I'm on always welcomes members (home owners) to attend and get involved. I imagine all HOA boards should be as welcoming.

Archived