Long Beach, CA

I just got back from downtown Long Beach this weekend. That place is really cool. You can tell they've really made an effort to make that area walkable with plently of mixed developments. Althought it's technically a different city, being in it makes you feel like you're not even in the LA metro area. I really enjoyed my stay there.

Has anyone else been there recently? Any thoughts?

I have been to LA a number of times to where I can not count on both hands, most of the family lines the coast of that state, and I have never stepped foot in Long Beach. I have seen pics and it looks like a healthy city. LA's Oakland. By the way, if you have bad visions of Oakland, ERASE them. True progress from an urbanist stance is happening in that city. Some areas I visit, I ask how did they do it, if you are familiar with how the area was before.

I haven't been to Oakland, so I have no idea what it was like.

I was actually at a convention in LB and had to drive into downtown. It looked cool just drivin around, but then I walked around. And I am now convinced that an ubran area cannot really be appreciated unless one gets out of the car and actually walks around. It's a totally different view and I love it. I'm actually from Spring, so when I did the same with downtown Houston, I really got to see the beauty of the architecture and the environment and appreciate it the way it was meant to be.

And why does it seem like the coolest things and ideas always happen in California first, and so far in advanced as us? They really do things first class when they do them. I also went to the pier at Torrance and it was just really cool.

Edited by lockmat

Its all about location with Californian cities. San Diego has developed one of the densest urban cores in the country in the past decade with the construction boom that is going on. They are booming so much it is the type of boom that you would think would lead to a bust. What they have created in such a short time is astounding because some cities would wait generations to see their city evolve into what Downtown San Diego and surrounding areas have become. It is seriously becoming U.S. of A's Vancouver.

just got back from downtown Long Beach this weekend. That place is really cool. You can tell they've really made an effort to make that area walkable with plently of mixed developments. Althought it's technically a different city, being in it makes you feel like you're not even in the LA metro area. I really enjoyed my stay there.

I lived in Seal Beach in 1994-1995 and worked in downtown Long Beach. I visited a friend there 3 months ago over Thanksgiving, and I was very impressed with the transformation that has occurred downtown Long Beach over the past 10+ years.

From what I remember, I would not have ventured more than 2-3 blocks inland from Ocean Blvd on foot when I lived there - there was no reason to and it wouldn't have felt safe. It is obviously different now - it has redeveloped, plus I noticed a robust police presence there at night, which also helps with the security factor. I also noticed that adjacent neighbornoods have started to gentrify.

I have been to Los Angeles area, too. Haven't went much farther north than Santa Clarita. Only been to Santa Monica beach (went close to Venice). Been to Irvine and Perris, too. It is a real big area and I like it there (though last Spring Break, it was rainy and cold like a delicate flower).

• 4 weeks later...
I just got back from downtown Long Beach this weekend. That place is really cool. You can tell they've really made an effort to make that area walkable with plently of mixed developments. Althought it's technically a different city, being in it makes you feel like you're not even in the LA metro area. I really enjoyed my stay there.

I only used to just skirt Long Beach as I lived in Venice for several years and then moved over to West LA near the real excitement (movie industry). I miss it big time but cost of living was way too expensive. I wont say too much more about LA (for now) because other members get jealous. :lol:

When I lived in Hermosa beach, rarely did anyone go to Long beach. It was notorious for crime and the Area in general was pretty blah by So Cal standards. It's good to hear that there fixing the area up.

When I lived in Hermosa beach, rarely did anyone go to Long beach. It was notorious for crime and the Area in general was pretty blah by So Cal standards. It's good to hear that there fixing the area up.

Exactly, that's why I never hung around the area was too saturated with local/longtime gangs/crime. I was surprised the Queen Mary wasn't tagged! :lol:

and another reason I left Venice V13 has been the local gang for decades there. West LA was what seemded a world away. Close to UCLA Bruins turf, cool fun!

• 1 month later...

Just nearby Long Beach, which I find to be interesting and yes it has developed well, is San Pedro and its Waterfront near the Port of Los Angeles.

It's so anti-Kemah. Not nearly as splashy as Kemah but the seafood fronts really hit the spot.

Downtown San Pedro is kinda of interesting. Reminds me of Montrose with classic wide sidewalks. Some real cool people and coffee houses there.

That area for some reason has been one of my favorites in SoCal.

It's nice to be away from the touristy gawkers and wannabes.