Gas Pipeline Explosion

RedScare

How many of you heard this explosion around 6:30 this evening?

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4561975.html

Amazingly, I was in my backyard in the Heights, and not only heard it, but felt it! I live at least 25 miles from the site of the blast. It was impressive to say the least. I cannot imagine what it felt and sounded like to those of you who live nearby.

I heard it. My dad and I were in our house and all of a sudden we heard something that sounded like a jet taking off in front of our house and then it started to shake quite a bit. When we went outside we saw a huge ball of fire that kept on going.

Traffic was horrible from it there was traffic on almost everyroad from 529 to Clay Rd. and past Fry Rd. Im afraid if it were something much worse and people needed to evacuate it would be almost impossible from what I saw.

I drove over to Brother's Pizzza @ Hwy 6 & 10 around 6:30 and saw a column of smoke on the horizon... figured there was a fire. Then, when I was driving back to my in-laws house along the eastbound frontage road I could see the color of the flames in in the smoke and cars slowing down on the freeway to take a look. It looked close and I figured it was an apartment or housefire close by somewhere over in Bear Creek.

Then I got home and saw the alert in the paper and saw it was over 10 miles away! I could see the flames!

I was on I-10 heading east going over mason Rd. when it happened. I had the windows up and music playing so i don't know if I heard it or felt it. But I looked to the left just to see the explosion! It was a huge mushroom cloud typical of what you see in a movie or something used to depict a huge bombing. there were several successive balls of fire shooting up creating sort of multiple fireballs. it looked huge from the freeway overpass. then the sky was lit up orange for a while with fire. I saw severall videos that catpured the fires on the news but none that saw the explosion as i saw it with the mushroom cloud. I was thinking it was so cool looking to be honest than i thought there was no way that someone was not injured or dead from that explosion. thank god it was in a field.

I am glad no one was hurt and now i can say i had a cool view of it.

Red, I saw the friggin' Fireball from Katy proper. I was here at work right by the Mall. It was like HOLY MOLY ! The fireball had to be 1000 to 1500 ft. in the air, as I was about 10 miles away. I barely heard it though, because of the wind direction, and then the night was lit up for awhile, they got the pipeline cutoff in about an hour. Pretty incredible sight. It literally looked like an Atom Bomb, complete with Mushroom cloud.

I live off Memorial and Wilcrest and was not home at the time so I cant say if it was seen or felt in the area, but my friend lives near Longenbaugh and Barker Cypress and basically had a front row seat. He said the whole neighborhood begain freaking out and at first he thought it was a low flying plane and that maybe it had crashed. He tried calling 911 but it was busy probably from everyone else calling. He said that the whole house shook.

So...what development did this explosion occur in? Someone told me Bridgelands, but someone else told me it's not the Bridgelands. Just curious...

I found it interesting that the El Paso Pipeline guy said something to the effect that, "we're still trying to determine why this dozer was on our right-of-way." That would indicate to me that whoever was working around the pipeline was doing so without permission...a big no-no, especially when working around a 30-inch pipeline.

• 3 weeks later...
So...what development did this explosion occur in? Someone told me Bridgelands, but someone else told me it's not the Bridgelands. Just curious...

I found it interesting that the El Paso Pipeline guy said something to the effect that, "we're still trying to determine why this dozer was on our right-of-way." That would indicate to me that whoever was working around the pipeline was doing so without permission...a big no-no, especially when working around a 30-inch pipeline.

The pipeline that blew was in an easement thta splits property owned by Beazer and Land Tejas on the east side of Fry Road, at least 3 or so miles from Bridgeland.

Archived