Sunnyland

Guest danax

I, too, was ready to celebrate a bit too quickly. Does not look like anythig has been done since the day of posting. Will be interesting to follow the development on that corner. A large convenience store/gas station would be welcome addition to the area as none are nearby. If my house does not sell, I may be able to closely watch the development :):) . Working hard, 'ol house lookin' better! Enjoying the Villa De Matel bells & breezes on the front porch as we rest our weary muscles & bones from hard work.

Danax.....what is happening to the Sunnylan[d] forum? It's been a while since I've been onforum, have things changed? Your pics appear, but not all messages. I'm gonna have to take pics of the better parts of the neighborhood to counter them:):). Maybe I can figure out how to do the pics then:). Sunnylan is revitalizing! I am ready to document the new development [hope it happens fast, so I'm there to see it]. If my house gets revitalized, along with the new development proposed on corner, the 'hood will shine!:)

I am ready for your count down!!

Now the count down 10, 9, 8, 7.... :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow these guys are fast!

The Nuevo Laredo dive is now history! and so is the small grungy store/tire shop across the street. Lawndale & Dismuke streets.

The lots have been turned into open green slopes of grass with nice small trees and what seems like extra parking for the shopping strip across the street.

Its even nicer to see as you come down Lawndale. It always seemed ironic to have a wild bar next door to an AA meeting hall anyway. Talk about non-productive. :lol:

Let's keep up this pace!

The Nuevo Laredo dive is now history! and so is the small grungy store/tire shop across the street. Lawndale & Dismuke streets.

I also noticed that the Leon bar or whatever it was called is rubble now. One less lime green eyesore on the East End...............only 70 more to go.

You've got to be wondering what will go up there instead. Dollar store perhaps?

I also noticed that the Leon bar or whatever it was called is rubble now. One less lime green eyesore on the East End...............only 70 more to go.

You've got to be wondering what will go up there instead. Dollar store perhaps?

Yes, (same bar) now gone. Arrivederci!

I wish it would stay a nice little green field. It is the same owner that built the Plaza Santa Clara across the street. Crossing fingers these 2 lots stay as extra parking and no dollar store, no, no, no.

The Pac-A-Sack and tiny shopping strip (caddy corner) needs to go. Just too un-accomodating for today's modern world. There is nothing historic about that place. Maybe the Beauty Shop section? No... all needs to go.

A donut place for police to hang out would be oh so perfect! Serious. HPD substation would be de-lightful. :D

• 1 month later...

Well heck! Bars are gone, Lawndale & Dismuke look much better. Just so Sunnylan does not go unnoticed, we now have a good sized back hoe tractor setting in a drive way on Truett, just East of Dismuke. Danax, a pic for your Sunnylan collection.

Yes, (same bar) now gone. Arrivederci!

I wish it would stay a nice little green field. It is the same owner that built the Plaza Santa Clara across the street. Crossing fingers these 2 lots stay as extra parking and no dollar store, no, no, no.

The Pac-A-Sack and tiny shopping strip (caddy corner) needs to go. Just too un-accomodating for today's modern world. There is nothing historic about that place. Maybe the Beauty Shop section? No... all needs to go.

A donut place for police to hang out would be oh so perfect! Serious. HPD substation would be de-lightful. :D

What was loud noise in Sunnylan area @ 11 am this morning [Thurs]? Sounded like the old air raid siren which would sound each Fri at noon downtown during the 50s. Was the old air raid siren on the Gulf Bldg? I worked at the old Shell Oil bldg on Fannin at Texas & siren was really loud. LC Cafeteria was designated as a shelter. LC had great food, but the thought of a stampede down the escalator made me grab a "take home" & go back to the office.

What was loud noise in Sunnylan area @ 11 am this morning [Thurs]? Sounded like the old air raid siren which would sound each Fri at noon downtown during the 50s. Was the old air raid siren on the Gulf Bldg? I worked at the old Shell Oil bldg on Fannin at Texas & siren was really loud. LC Cafeteria was designated as a shelter. LC had great food, but the thought of a stampede down the escalator made me grab a "take home" & go back to the office.

There's a thread about the air raid siren downtown here.

If you'd like to hear that unforgettable sound again, crank up your speakers and click here. Warning: Children, dogs and co-workers might freak out.

What was loud noise in Sunnylan area @ 11 am this morning [Thurs]? Sounded like the old air raid siren which would sound each Fri at noon downtown during the 50s.

I was in Broadmoor and heard it too. It sounded like the horn was stuck on a locomotive that was stopped on the tracks crossing Lawndale, Telephone, I-45.

• 1 month later...

New additions to Sunnyland Oaks District.

The Villa de Matel Convent is going green too. The are planting numerous pines and what appear to be azaleas all around the wooded area, ie; Wayside, Eskridge & Sunnyland Oaks Drive.

Now it's time to Lighten up the back area with better security lighting Mother Superior!

Hallelujah! Let there be light! :lol:

• 4 years later...

The pictures of Sunnylan area on this forum were taken several yrs back when the area "bottomed out". It's looking much better now! Wish these pictures could be deleted as they pull down the entire community, making a lower tax base. The area is really a "jewel in the rough" with super location, price ranges, rail coming, near major employment [airport, port, Gulf Gate, Wal-Mart coming, sports stadiums/etc/etc]. Majority of houses on pier & beam & very well-built & have survived many storms [both economically & weather-wise]. It's between Eastwood & Idylwood. Also, few blocks from Country Club Estates. A great investment area.

Have many pics. Started to download them several times. Being a very private person, I feel posting pictures of other person's homes online without their permission is an invsion of privacy. I am not going to take a pic, knock on the door & try to explain HAIF & my reason for taking pic & ask permission. I've had to explain pics for tax protests numerous times. I highly respect confidentiality & privacy. No, I wouldn't put address on pic, but the older homes are very individual & easily recognized. In my opinion, the pictures of Sunnylan on this forum are so very negative & I don't think anyone on the forum would want the same negative pics of their neighborhood used on the forum. Really puts down the 'hood. May not be River Oaks, but it's very affordable & the location is hard to beat.

Sunnylan is actually very small subdivision between Dismuke & Sunnyland St.near Lawndale. There are actually 4/5 small subdivisions within the triangle of Sunnylan Street [runs by Villa De Matel Convant], Lawndale & Telephone Rd. Lawndale & Telephone merge into Telephone at the Gulf Freeway. This is a popular area for families with small children as Henderson Elem. sits in the middle of the triangle making this area excellent for rental property. It's a sleeper area. Investors tired of high taxes in Heights need to look at this area. Same style houses. In fact, some of the builders in East End built in Heights also.

Continuation of above post. Below are some of the MLS #s of houses for sale in the area. Short on time, scanned quickly, but these few give an idea. Thanks for kicking my creativity in gear to show some changes :).

HAR.COM MLS #s

The next 2 are on Dismuke [which runs N/S thru this area], but are N of Lawndale leading into Country Club Estates

None of these properties are mine, nor do I know the agents or property owners.

• The title was changed to Sunnyland

Archived