Need Help with a cat chasing Dog.

TJones

I know, I know, Dogs are supposed to chase them, but my other dog Shelly, has no problems with them at all, she basically ignores them and even plays with Harley, the ruffhouser every now and then. Well, I got the same type breed, size and all, but a male this time, and he immediately went for the cats. I don't think he wants to hurt them, i just think he is overly curious about them. How can i introduce them slowly ? I am afraid the honeymoon may already be over between them but I am willing to try since I adopted this dog from Special Pals, I really want to make it work. He is an absolute jewel with the kids, and the our other dog, which is why we really got him in the first place, to be a playmate. But man o man, the cats our freaked out !

Edited by TJones

How old are your cats? Past a certain age they are pretty intolerant of any new-comers cat or dog. They also are spooked easily and a big dog can be intimidating to a cat. They may just have to uneasily co-exist.

It's taken this oneJane2.jpg

over 2 years to get used to this one Lil1.jpg

and they are still not that cozy with each other. Dogs seem to be more social and adaptive. I've had cats all my life and while they can be as loving as the best Lab, they can also be very resistant to new-comers.

BTW, are your cats inside, outside or both?

As a dog guy, my advice is to shoot the cat!

Kidding TJ :P

lol! I wound up giving the dog back to special pals, and I have 30 days to find another dog that likes cats, probably a female instead of male also. That friggin mutt hiked his damn leg on everything. I feel confident we will be able to rescue another.

lol! I wound up giving the dog back to special pals, and I have 30 days to find another dog that likes cats, probably a female instead of male also. That friggin mutt hiked his damn leg on everything. I feel confident we will be able to rescue another.

Good luck. My sister rescued a Laso apso (however it's spelled) that was a great dog. Unfortunately he died a few few years ago, but nevertheless brought a lot of joy to there home.