Looking for input

ArchitectureEnthusiast

Hello fellow Mod enthusiasts,

My husband & I are remodelling the Lars Bang MCM on Durness. We are struggling with what to do with the exterior siding. Most of it is rotten--and we're not sure if what is there is the original siding specified by the architect. Some of the existing has been replaced by 3/8" siding (which looks terrible)...we are considering some 5/8" T1-11 in 4x8 sheets to match existing, but aren't sure if it will work. Also considering 1x6 cedar (which runs horizontal) but not traditional lap siding. Has anyone run into this? Or have any suggestions. We thinkg the siding must be painted to be true to the house...Also, we're replacing the existing siding on the east side of the house with the original window & smooth plywood (or hardi-board) that runs along the upper incline of the roof above the brick wall. This may be clear as mud, but please see attempted pictures...

Any input is appreciated!

Stacey

My husband & I are remodelling the Lars Bang MCM on Durness. We are struggling with what to do with the exterior siding. Most of it is rotten--and we're not sure if what is there is the original siding specified by the architect. Some of the existing has been replaced by 3/8" siding (which looks terrible)...we are considering some 5/8" T1-11 in 4x8 sheets to match existing, but aren't sure if it will work. Also considering 1x6 cedar (which runs horizontal) but not traditional lap siding. Has anyone run into this? Or have any suggestions. We thinkg the siding must be painted to be true to the house...Also, we're replacing the existing siding on the east side of the house with the original window & smooth plywood (or hardi-board) that runs along the upper incline of the roof above the brick wall. This may be clear as mud, but please see attempted pictures...

Stacey

Purge the house of that awful T-111 siding! Spaceage has some pictures of a very similiar Lars Bang design that is in good condition, it would be a good reference point.

we are considering some 5/8" T1-11 in 4x8 sheets to match existing, but aren't sure if it will work. Stacey

I been around T1-11 all my life. I think it's second rate garbage there a lot more choices on the market these days.

edit rps324 bet me to it LOL

Anybody have suggestions on what would be a good alternative? We've been trying to consider matching the majority of the siding (not the awful 3/8" at the front), but what covers the majority of the house (as seen under the carport). Also, we're not sure if that was replaced at some point & not sure what was originally specified when built. We have also consider board & batten (sp?) for the front of the house. We are struggling with the right material...and now getting down to the wire...would love any input from teh experts!

The T1-11 we are looking at is wood...pine, but not highly textured...it appears to match the photo of what is under the carport?

T1-11 is not mod material i think it came out in the late 1960- 1970's.

edit; rps324 is more knowledgeable than i am about Mod,s

I'm sorry to hear about your siding woes, that was one of our problems, but it sounds like you have it a lot worse.

Please call my contractor, Champion Contractors. Even if you don't want them to do all of the jobs you have, they were especially helpful when it came to our siding. We had to take off vinyl siding from our house. We were afraid that much of the redwood siding was going to be ruined underneath the vinyl, but luckily it wasn't too bad, maybe 10 % needed replacing. However, the siding we have is no longer produced. Champion contractors was able to find a cedar replacement that was maybe only 1/8 to 1/4 inch off, and no one can tell the difference from the original.

Here's their number.

713-898-9817

Jason

You aught to go to Stahlmans on the corner of Greenbriar and 59. They have lots of siding alternatives and some that are quite hard to find these days.

You also could go with this tounge and groove pine siding they have at home depot. It's 5" wide and comes in 10 foot lengths. It's about $7 per board.

flipper

If you are thinking "green" perhaps you should look into cedar siding from The Forest Stewardship Council. They are a nonprofit company that deals in sustainable buildings materials, one of which is cedar siding. Check out their website and info on where to buy it. it's beautiful!

http://www.fscus.org/faqs/fsc_products.php?link=1

This company supplies wood for a prefab home company called LivingHomes.

http://www.livinghomes.net

good louck on your great home!

Stacey,

We dropped by your house this afternoon and had a look around while the workers were there. You guys are our heroes. You should film this project in digital and put it out as a documentary. I can't believe anyone could let that house get to that state.

I can see the living room as an absolutely stunning magazine worthy showplace someday.

By the way, there will be moments when you think you are completely certifiably insane for ever buying the place. This is normal (or was it just me?). Just keep to your vision and ask for help from "the enthusiasts" when you need it. There is light at the end of the tunnel. You guys will be the only people who can truly appreciate what you went through for this house.

Jason

Stacey

Stacey,

We dropped by your house this afternoon and had a look around while the workers were there. You guys are our heroes. You should film this project in digital and put it out as a documentary.

that would be great if this could be documented (photos, video, anything!)

• The title was changed to Looking for input

Archived