Proposed New Apartment Building Downtown

largeTEXAS

I went to a meeting last night where someone from the city of houston housing dept spoken on yet another tax credit complex going up on Broadway. He made it sound as if the project is about to go before city council. The President of Glenbrook valley was there and was irritated that the surrounding neighborhoods were left in the dark. The city rep and the project developer kept repeating how the neighborhood will be revitalized! of course i asked how a neighborhood could be revitalized by one apartment complex where the residents will be low income?

This is just one of those programs that the mayor wants to force upon us with no citizen input!

Maybe the Angelica does not have the top 10 newest releases, but they do have current releases and of the 9 movies showing this week only 2 are not shown at your Edwards/Cinemark type of theaters. The 2 are as you mentioned Pan's Lab and then Four Eyed Monsters. The ones that have shown or are showing at "regular" theaters all over town: Babel, Letters from Iwa Jima, Little Children, Miss Potter, Notes on Scandal, The Good German and Venus has in the past.

They have a mix of new and old and artsy and not. They seem to try to cater to everyone in my opinion. Personally my wife and I go on Saturday's to the cry baby matinnee. They set up a changing table in the front and have the volume a bit lower. People are encouraged to bring their baby's. It is very cool idea. And they always show current movies. We have seen the Last Kiss, the pursuit of Happines and several others I can't remember at the moment. It allows parents to see movies without disturbing non parents, but the irony is that it is always very quiet in there. Most of the baby's sleep.

It seems like this is the type of development you would do for people who stay alone. You cant raise a family comfortably in a 350 sf apartment. This 350 square feet apartments is great for some that lives downtown by there self. I think it is a great idea.

It would seem that downtown would be a natural for singles ... and singles don't typically require lots of space.

It would seem that downtown would be a natural for singles ... and singles don't typically require lots of space.

I totally agree, that's why I think this would be a good idea. I have single friends in NYC who have apartments similar to that size and they've made the space really nice despite it being so small. I really think there's a group of young singles in Houston who want that downtown NYC vibe but can't afford buying a loft in downtown.

I totally agree, that's why I think this would be a good idea. I have single friends in NYC who have apartments similar to that size and they've made the space really nice despite it being so small. I really think there's a group of young singles in Houston who want that downtown NYC vibe but can't afford buying a loft in downtown.

I once lived in a tiny studio apt about the size mentioned here in DT San Francisco. I was single and I quickly got used to the small space. I had several large plants that filled the air with oxygen. When I was moving, and moved the plants out days earlier, the air was noticably dead. Hard to acheive that effect in a large house. It was well designed with most interior windows facing inward into a (can't remember what they called it) sunlit open space, and the neighbors could speak to each other through the open windows (good and bad possiblities). It was great to walk and take BART or MUNI everywhere, you really got to know the nabe that way.

Anyway, it gave me some of my greatest memories, simple things, and cemented in me a love for the city environment.

The downside; this place did house oddball tenants; felons, psycho types. The guy below me qualified as semi-psycho. He would stomp around into the wee hours, ranting loudly to himself about how "they" (he would say, "you") had set him up, abused him...made it very hard to sleep. Then there were two guys living below me to the side who would fight a lot. Eventually my neighbor and I, one who lived catty-corner and was open-window close, were talking about how quiet those two had become.....turns out the bigger one murdered the smaller one....in the room......and he wasn't found for a week or so, and the other guy just skipped town. Stuff you just don't get in the burbs. :rolleyes:

After thinking about this topic a bit more, it occured to me that we already have a successful downtown apartment building that offers what the original poster is describing. It's called the Houston House. I believe the vast majority of units in the Houston House are +-400sf and rents are around $800 a month. My impression is that it does fairly well in terms of occupancy despite its age.

• 1 month later...
Any idea about (rental) price/sf? $1.60 or so?

And how many months of free rent for a 12-month lease?

O'Connor says $1.54 psf with one month free. Although with the myriad of different floorplans, I wouldn't put too much confidence in the rent/sf number(for instance, OA shows rent/sf on different floorplans ranging from $.93-1.77).

Archived