Recycled Wood Flooring

In my never ending effort to retain the historical, small-town feel of my Heights bungalow, ;) I am looking for recycled tongue and groove planks to replace several in my floor that succumbed to termites several years ago. New planks are generally 3 inches wide, versus the old stuff like I need, which is 3 and a quarter inches. I have heard people suggest on here before that there are stores that collect and resell bits and pieces of old homes. Any names and numbers? I am looking for approximately 25 sf of heart pine planks.

Danax, musicman, nmainguy? Help me out here.

http://www.historichouston.org/newSite/home.htm

my first thought was them.

for my house i ended up picking up some extra at a house nearby who ripped out their wood flooring. of course i was shocked they did that but happy it was like mine. maybe you can drive around your hood and find another house being torn down.

here's a real long list from another website i've used before.

http://www.oldhouses.com.au/docs/directori...us_salvage.html

http://www.historichouston.org/newSite/home.htm

my first thought was them.

for my house i ended up picking up some extra at a house nearby who ripped out their wood flooring. of course i was shocked they did that but happy it was like mine. maybe you can drive around your hood and find another house being torn down.

here's a real long list from another website i've used before.

http://www.oldhouses.com.au/docs/directori...us_salvage.html

That's who I was trying to think of. I called, and they have it, and it is cheaper than the private companies. Going over there Saturday.

Thanks, music. I knew you'd come through.

PS - Scharpe St. Thanks for your link. I emailed them, but the ad says oak. I asked if they were sure about that. We'll see what they say.

^ Yep, Historic Houston had some 3 1/4 inch I think, the last time I was there a couple of weeks ago. Their selection was good, in fact, they announced a clearance sale recently on their oak flooring, $1.25 a lineal foot, I believe. I paid $4 for heart pine with tongue damage. I went home and glued the tongues back (they were ripped off but still hanging mostly) and duct taped them into place for drying. I bought about 50 sq ft and they had hundreds more left still.

Also, there's a place called Classic Hardwoods on Almeda that carries salvaged flooring. I don't have their# and haven't been by there.

edit: Ah, I see you've already called them. (hint; don't pick through the piles too much, drives the one lady nuts)

Also, there's a place called Classic Hardwoods on Almeda that carries salvaged flooring. I don't have their# and haven't been by there.

Red you should call this place as well. i know someone else who used them but couldnt think of their name.

When buying reclaimed (and not remilled) pine, be careful about the thickness. Since pine dents easily, it is more likely to have been sanded down further over the years than oak. So, check the thickness in your house, and then check the thickness on the reclaimed stuff.

When buying reclaimed (and not remilled) pine, be careful about the thickness. Since pine dents easily, it is more likely to have been sanded down further over the years than oak. So, check the thickness in your house, and then check the thickness on the reclaimed stuff.

Good point. The pine that Historic Houston has varies in thickness depending on the house it came from, and the room within the house. They've got it separated in lots based on the house it came out of. I found some that were a full 3/4" thick, like mine, which hopefully will allow me to avoid having to sand the entire floor to make it even.

An easy way to see if they've been sanded is if the portion above the groove is thinner than that below (duh) but it's pretty easy to eyeball each board that way.

Archived