Is Nieman Marcus Staying?

tw2ntyse7en

Remember the "Mall of Fountains"? It was an open-air mall that was connected to the Dillards (then Joske's) which was there before the enclosed mall was built. There weren't that many stores but the fountains were kind of cool. They did have a good bookstore. Not sure why the mall wasn't more sucessful. Then someone had the brilliant idea to tear it all out and build another enclosed mall even though Memorial City was only a mile or so away. They clearly underestimated Memorial City which has turned out to be very successful indeed.

Remember the "Mall of Fountains"? It was an open-air mall that was connected to the Dillards (then Joske's) which was there before the enclosed mall was built. There weren't that many stores but the fountains were kind of cool. They did have a good bookstore. Not sure why the mall wasn't more sucessful. Then someone had the brilliant idea to tear it all out and build another enclosed mall even though Memorial City was only a mile or so away. They clearly underestimated Memorial City which has turned out to be very successful indeed.

Yes the fountains!! That was great fun if you were a lil' squirt like I was. :P

Well it looks like there is a Panjo's Pizza parlor in Corpus, I wonder if it's the same family? I bet if so, they have lots of pics they could share!

I think the grocery was a minimax at one time but it changed later on. I totally remember that Spanish look!!! My mom always shopped at Handy Andy because it was closer.

• 11 months later...
Panjo's Pizza Parlor was really an edgy place back then. It had the family dining area on the West side, the kitchen in the center and the Hippie dining area on the East side. Each dining room had it's own entrance from the parking lot. You could see into the Hippie area through the kitchen and it looked scary- complete with graffiti and black light posters. We were not allowed to go over there.

Both sides had really crude heavy thick dark wood benches (with no backs) and tables. It was very dark in there and they had no plates or silverware. They had a "Pizza is Eaten With the Fingers" sign. All you had to put the food on was a thin paper napkin and the cheese always stuck to the paper. It was great pizza however. Pizza was a new food to us. We had never had it before we moved to that area. The best part was the honky-tonk/ ragtime piano. They often had someone play it loud and fast on busy nights and people would sing. It was a player piano also.

Princes Hamburgers had a location down from Panjo's and around the corner of that building, closer to Memorial Drive. They had a red princess style telephone on each table to call your order into the kitchen and they brought it out to you. Each table had it's own telephone number! That was so high-tech for the time. I guess those of you under 30 years old have no idea what a princess style telephone is.

Was the grocery store a Minimax at first then a Continental Finer Foods? It had a Spanish motif complete with balconies high above the two story center area. The balconies were decorated with manequins dressed like senoritas and senors, mexican pottery and paper flowers. The drug store was a SuperX at first then it became an Eckerds.

Panjo's Pizza Parlor was really an edgy place back then. It had the family dining area on the West side, the kitchen in the center and the Hippie dining area on the East side. Each dining room had it's own entrance from the parking lot. You could see into the Hippie area through the kitchen and it looked scary- complete with graffiti and black light posters. We were not allowed to go over there.

Both sides had really crude heavy thick dark wood benches (with no backs) and tables. It was very dark in there and they had no plates or silverware. They had a "Pizza is Eaten With the Fingers" sign. All you had to put the food on was a thin paper napkin and the cheese always stuck to the paper. It was great pizza however. Pizza was a new food to us. We had never had it before we moved to that area. The best part was the honky-tonk/ ragtime piano. They often had someone play it loud and fast on busy nights and people would sing. It was a player piano also.

Princes Hamburgers had a location down from Panjo's and around the corner of that building, closer to Memorial Drive. They had a red princess style telephone on each table to call your order into the kitchen and they brought it out to you. Each table had it's own telephone number! That was so high-tech for the time. I guess those of you under 30 years old have no idea what a princess style telephone is.

Was the grocery store a Minimax at first then a Continental Finer Foods? It had a Spanish motif complete with balconies high above the two story center area. The balconies were decorated with manequins dressed like senoritas and senors, mexican pottery and paper flowers. The drug store was a SuperX at first then it became an Eckerds.

Archived