Maxium Utility from HOV Lanes

I think Metro should allow HOVs to be single occupant between 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM. You often still have traffic on the freeways at this time and the HOV lanes are totally empty.

They have really been empty since Metro scalled back their commuter bus services (ends at 8:30 and does not resume until 3:00).

Why not? Seems like this would compliment the Mayor's alternative work schedule initiative. And it's the big companies downtown that he expects to allow for this alternative schedule.

I think Metro should allow HOVs to be single occupant between 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM. You often still have traffic on the freeways at this time and the HOV lanes are totally empty.

They have really been empty since Metro scalled back their commuter bus services (ends at 8:30 and does not resume until 3:00).

Why not?

In general, between 9-11, rush hour traffic isn't an issue.

I think that's a great idea. That's a lane of traffic not being used. For example: Heading eastbound on the Katy Freeway, why not charge $1.00 from Hwy 6 to Beltway 8, and then another dollar from there to Loop 610.

But what about those car-pooling after 9am? Well, its after 9am. Most people car-pooling should be at work already. If not, then they can take the ordinary lanes or pay the same toll, and split the cost among their fellow car-poolers in the vehicle.

In general, between 9-11, rush hour traffic isn't an issue.

It's about more than avoiding rush hour traffic. It's about expediting traffic into the CBD and getting the most bang for the buck from our infrastructure.

If I had the option of HOV vs. Freeway even outside of rush hour I'd take the HOV every time. The freeways can go from all clear to grid lock in a matter of mintues.

Of course, this mainly benefits downtown workers, which is even more of a reason to do it. It's not like we are talking about too many extra cars in an already empty HOV.

It's about more than avoiding rush hour traffic. It's about expediting traffic into the CBD and getting the most bang for the buck from our infrastructure.

If I had the option of HOV vs. Freeway even outside of rush hour I'd take the HOV every time. The freeways can go from all clear to grid lock in a matter of mintues.

Of course, this mainly benefits downtown workers, which is even more of a reason to do it. It's not like we are talking about too many extra cars in an already empty HOV.

If there is little or no congestion in the first place, how does it benefit anyone? It isn't as though the speed limits are higher on the HOV.

In fact, what if a vehicle in front of you stalls? On the mainlanes, you could go around. On the HOV, you sit and wait. For that matter, if you've got a slowpoke ahead of you, you can't get around him. I'd choose the mainlanes every time during those hours.

On the HOV, you sit and wait

Not on my HOV (59N). There is plenty of room to pass. Not sure about the others.

And HOV lanes are safer. It makes zero sense to have these lanes closed from 11-2 and empty outside of rush hour.

Those of you who say there is no traffic on the freeways outside of rush hour must work too much.

How about giving me a reason why they should not be open to single drivers outside of rush hour?

I'd like to hear one reason not to open them up outside of rush hour.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of a good reason at the moment. However, if the peak "hour" continues to spread, as has been the trend in Houston of late, they will be needed as HOV facilities for most of the day.

However, I also can't think of a really good reason TO do it.

If traffic is bad on the main lanes, then there is a travel time advantage to using a higher occupancy travel mode, hence the purpose of having the lane in the first place.

If traffic isn't bad, then the extra lane is not needed.

Not on my HOV (59N). There is plenty of room to pass. Not sure about the others.

Agree there is room to pass should a car be stalled.

It makes zero sense to have these lanes closed from 11-2 and empty outside of rush hour.

As CDeb said, they need time to turn them around. open and close the various gates at each exit/entry point.

Those of you who say there is no traffic on the freeways outside of rush hour must work too much.

There's "usually" not stop and go traffic outside of rush hour. there is traffic yes but it is most likely moving above posted speeds. At least that is my experience in general.

How about giving me a reason why they should not be open to single drivers outside of rush hour?

Are you reading any of the posts besides yours?

What's up with the odd bold quote job? Anyway...

Yes, I am reading. Give me a reason.

It's a road. It's empty. It can be used. By your logic then we might as well close it at 9:00am since the freeways are "most likely moving above posted speeds".

Instead, it just sits there empty for the most part.

So that's the solution. Close them at 9:00am.

Yes, I am reading. Give me a reason.

The reason "it's a road, it's empty, it can be used" isn't a reason either. that is what you're advocating. If there was a REAL reason then we'd be on the bandwagon but you haven't provided reasoning nor rationale.

By your logic then we might as well close it at 9:00am since the freeways are "most likely moving above posted speeds".

HOV was created because of traffic flow problems during rush hour. If there were NO traffic flow problems, would HOV have been created? No.

Instead, it just sits there empty for the most part.

In general most people who use the freeway aren't going downtown but to another destination therefore would need to exit appropriately and therefore take the freeway. Yes it would be convenient for those going downtown but then signage changes, etc would have to be done and quite frankly isn't necessary because there isn't a traffic problem during off peak hours.

So that's the solution.

Contact the Mayor and the head of METRO if you're that concerned. We'd like to hear their response.