Anybody Remember Meyer's Woods

devonhart

It's now an apartment complex and probably some of the parking lot of the movie multiplex. To the neighborhood kids of the 60s and 70s, it was just "the woods."

It was where the kids got away from their parents to do their smoking, toking, drinking and all the other "ing" things that they weren't suppose to be doing. I tried hiding my Playboy stash out there once, carefully bagging it in plastic and carefully tucking my treasure under some rocks, but somebody discovered it and took it.

I remember coming across a yucky matress and a makeshift shelter of plywood with cigarette butts, empty liquor bottles, etc all around it. Strange thing was, there was evidence galore of people coming and going, but we rarely ran into anyone else. The occasional bb gun dude, but 90% of the time, you felt like you had all the acreage to yourself. Seems like a weird thing to feel nostalgic for.

Edited by devonhart
  • Like 1

This is a cropped, reduced in size portion from a larger photo previously posted in other threads. North is toward the bottom. I think it shows the area you refer to. That's Cliffwood running north-south just to the left (east) of Waterhole Bayou, which runs into Bray's Bayou at the bottom. W. Bellfort is at the top right and dead-ended at Post Oak at the time this picture was taken about 1960.

MeyerParkArea-1960.jpg

That's Cliffwood running north-south just to the left (east) of Waterhole Bayou, which runs into Bray's Bayou at the bottom. W. Bellfort is at the top right and dead-ended at Post Oak at the time this picture was taken about 1960.

Here's how it looks today, flipped vertically from your photo. 1 is where I lived. 2 is the intersection of Cliffwood and Belfort. 3 is the bridge over the bayou. And 4 is the undeveloped land your photo shows.

woods.JPG

Who remembers the big hole in the ground on the south bank of Brays Bayou just west of Greenwillow? We had quite a time riding our bikes down into and back out of that thing.

We regularly rode for miles on the flat concrete bottom of Brays Bayou, occasionally taking side "hikes" into the storm sewers that fed the bayou. There was one big pipe running up the middle of Stella Link in which you could walk (standing) all the way to Bellaire Blvd.

[

We regularly rode for miles on the flat concrete bottom of Brays Bayou, occasionally taking side "hikes" into the storm sewers that fed the bayou. There was one big pipe running up the middle of Stella Link in which you could walk (standing) all the way to Bellaire Blvd.

I remember riding from rice to Herman park, stoping somewhere near stella link for bagels at a bakery I dont remember the name, and again near ost for antoines poor boys, then spending the day in the park and riding back. I never new that these woods had a name. I must have done this 50 times between about 1968 and 1972.

I did ride the paved Bayou, but never mustered the courage go into the storm sewers. For some reason, I thought that's where the "bad people" hung out.

• The title was changed to Anybody Remember Meyer's Woods
  • 4 months later...

I was confused on where "Meyer's Woods" was actually located.  Both of the neighborhood shopping centers (Meyerland Plaza and Meyer Park Shopping Center) both had movie theaters.  Someone in this thread mentioned apartments, so I guess this would be the MPSC since there are apartments near the Walmart.

The forest land of Meyer's Woods eventually became Meyer Park Shopping Center.

When looking at Meyer's Woods, you can even see the original street layout before the 610 freeway expansion. Very cool!!

1962:

AmvabmD.png

1978, notice the additional freeway lanes:

CWX2bQA.png

2023:

i5qkrg7.png

*Bonus, I'm not sure if I ever seen the Frank Meyer mansion at 9111 South Post Oak this clear before. This was in 1962 before the freeway expansion.

BWyankV.png