Westgreen Blvd. In Katy

ekarl17

I want to know any information about this particular neighborhood in katy of I-10 and Westgreen Boulevard. I am planning to buy a house in here. Is this a great neighborhood to live in? Who are the builders? How old is it? Good schools? and also I heard there is a revitalization project going on in this neighborhood is this true? If it is a bad neighborhood, what else does it need to be a nice neighborhood?

Westgreen ? That is the northside of I-10, correct. I would not, I repeat, WOULD NOT live in that area of Katy. Look elsewhere immediately. If anyone on this forum actually lives in this neighborhood, I am sorry to be so hard. I have a friend that lives in this neighborhood. He bought it as a matter of convenience and the size of his pocketbook. He is single. Not a place to raise a family, when for the same money, maybe $5 to 10k more, you can move just a little south of I-10 and be in a much nicer neighborhood. I see no chance for property values to rise, even if the new Mall goes in down the street.

Yeah, and you don't want to be around these schools AFTER sundown.

What are you talking about? It is not bad.A lot of people think this area is like southwest Houston. If you were going to not buy in Westgreen, you can still find a cheap house in Caste Rock, or the Morton Ranch neighborhoods. This area is getting nicer, with a few bad parts. Westgreen gets a bad impression, probably because Sundown neighborhood is right next door.

What are you talking about? It is not bad.A lot of people think this area is like southwest Houston. If you were going to not buy in Westgreen, you can still find a cheap house in Caste Rock, or the Morton Ranch neighborhoods. This area is getting nicer, with a few bad parts. Westgreen gets a bad impression, probably because Sundown neighborhood is right next door.

Trae, don't you live in Cinco ?

Probably not. Firethorne is a lot nicer and looks all around better.

Firethorne, yeah, I would say you are about 6 rungs above Westgreen, as far as subdivisions go. Westgreen would be a 2 and Firethorne would be an 8 or close 9 on the scale, with 10 being the best.

Vastly different income brackets here Trae, C'mon pardner ?

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, but I have seen worse than Westgreen and use to have income like that. I wouldn't trade my house in Firethorne right now for Westgreen, but it isn't like Acres Homes either.

Some really nice folks live in the area, but unfortunately the area has seen a steady decline over the last 10+ years. The gang environment is definately present also, this area may never really rebound with all of the other choices in the vicinity for housing.

Agreed, it isn't SW Houston or Acres Homes but it's definately not Katy proper or Cinco either.

Well, since you are an expert on gangs, I am sure you are aware there is an Asian gang at Cinco? There is also gang activity at Mayde Creek, 7 Lakes and Katy. Stop bashing my son's school on public forums!

Edited by Erick

Great post Erick, looks like all of Katy's high schools have their fair share of criminal stats, esp Katy High! Morton Ranch doesn't seem to have any more than anyone else...looks like Mayde Creek tops the list for marijuana possession :lol: no real shocker there....

Well, since you are an expert on gangs, I am sure you are aware there is an Asian gang at Cinco? There is also gang activity at Mayde Creek, 7 Lakes and Katy. Stop bashing my son's school on public forums!

Erick, you just called the Kettle black with this post. I guess I see your point though, don't just bash ONE school, why not go for broke, and bash them all on a public forum ? Good Job ! :rolleyes:

Edited by TJones

Please. That Asian gang at Cinco is a joke. Some of them say they are 5-2 Hoova or 5-9 Bounty Hunter. Ain't listen to them. Mayde Creek and Morton Ranch got the real ones. Some claim it but ain't it. Some came straight from inner city and are in one. The gangs at Katy High School are little neighborhood gangs that ain't ____.

You're right Erick, this was of interest. If you start at the top of the page and hit ctrl+F and type in gang it will search the page for you. What you would find is interesting. For the most recent report (9/24/06-11/30/06) there were a couple of different gang "crimes". It seemed that all of the schools had their share of "Gang Graffiti", but one school stood out with citations for "Engaged in gang membership".

And which school do you think that was?

None other than Morton Ranch H.S. with 4 citations. The next closest school was Mayde Creek H.S. with 2 and another coming from Cullen Park.

These two schools seem to fit in better with Alief than Katy.

Any parent that says they would rather have their kid go to Morton Ranch or Mayde Creek over Katy, Taylor, Cinco Ranch & Seven Lakes either (1) doesn't know any better or (2) can't drive their kid to one of the other schools.

Morton Ranch High School is surrounded by an area of less expensive housing. Our millionaires are few and far between. When it opened it inherited problems. It is a good school with lots of great kids and is filled with awesome admin, teachers and coaches who work tirelessly. It is hard to make good grades for some because they do not speak English, but it is not because they don't care or don't try. My son loves his school and has gone to school with the same kids and lived in the same neighborhood his entire life. Our family can afford to live anywhere in the area (well maybe not Lakeforest!), but we made a choice to live here because it is home and we love it and are attached to it. So it hurts when people slam us. And it gets old after a while. All I am saying is Katy ISD is a wonderful school district, but it is not all the sunshine and lollipops that you seem to think. And being a long time district employee, I speak from first hand knowledge. I do not want to get into a flame war, I just want the bashing to end.

Thanks

I don't think any school district is like that. Morton Ranch does have the most gangs, though. Just before Christmas, a whole bunch of Crips and Chollos got in a fight in all of them went to O.A.C. I knew some of the Crips. That was the biggest thing that has happened since Morton Ranch opened. Morton Ranch is mostly in the lower-income section of Katy I.S.D. Most of the homebuilders start in the 100's and don't go above 200's. Williamsburg Settlement is the enclave. It should get better, though, with the Bridgeland, the Grand shopping mall by Simon, and the Grand Parkway construction.

Edited by Trae

• 1 month later...

Help me out here . . . I graduated from Mayde Creek a long time ago (1990) and it was full of snotty rich kids but no gangs, or drugs. I just think it was too small and new at the time. Has it gone really downhill ? I have not been in that area for some time, but a friend of mine bought a house in that area and says it is okay. I know the neighborhood I grew up in ( Westlake Village on Fry Road 1983-1992) is now not very desireable at all. I had a family member refer to it as hood-like.

I ask becasue I am moving back home to H-town after I finish with grad school (OHSU RULEZ ! ! ! ! B) ) up here in PDX, and I think my family is biased to having me move near them (either Memorial or Pearland) and I do not think I want to do that :unsure:

If that's considered rough in Katy ISD.......I must've attended school in Iraq as I attended schools in the "dreaded" East End area of FBISD.....

this is downright ridiculous

I have some riverfront land in Sealy if you want to run before the "gangs" find you