Location Advise

Blitz

How are are you willing to drive him to school? where do you work? etc. with that amt of money, you have a wide variety of choices.

We will drive him to school until he drives. We work in the Houston Metro area (sales). Regarding choices I have, please let me know as I do not know the neighborhoods well enough.

We will drive him to school until he drives. We work in the Houston Metro area (sales). Regarding choices I have, please let me know as I do not know the neighborhoods well enough.

oops...my far changed to an are. how far are you willing to drive him to school. Not a realtor here but with that amount of money, you have more options than most. what type of neighborhood atmosphere are you looking for? Do you like the suburbs? Are you willing to accept more things associated with urban areas?

oops...my far changed to an are. how far are you willing to drive him to school. Not a realtor here but with that amount of money, you have more options than most. what type of neighborhood atmosphere are you looking for? Do you like the suburbs? Are you willing to accept more things associated with urban areas?

Preferred travel time to school - 30 minutes

Safety is important

Decent size yard is important (no patio home or zero lot line) - I have 2 dogs

Social aspect is not that important

Garden Oaks would top the list. It is right there on Shepherd & the loop. Huge lots, wide variety of housing stock from cottages to McMansions. Great trees. Right at the loop.

The 60's era developments just to the north of it are also nice with decent size lots, although no where near the size of Garden oaks, these include Shepherd Park Plaza, Candlelight Oaks, and Candlelight Estates. There is also a new pocket development at the end of Rossyln just north of Bethlehem St. Candlelight something or another. I believe those may be smaller lots, like 5000 sq ft.

I really think Garden Oaks would be the first place to start looking.

Is there a section of Garden Oaks that is better than another? What about flooding?

Stay the HELL away from Yale street....east of Yale is the ghetto, and it spills over into the easternmost portions of Garden Oaks.

Also, stay the HELL away from the apartments at the corner of 34th and Shepherd. People living in those new townhouses next door get to listen to gunfire all night, and those living closest have to patch bullet holes in their rooves with alarming regularity.

AFAIK, none of it floods.

Check out this MLS listing on www.har.com MLS #7525519

(I tried to copy but it wouldn't let me)

This is new construction in Oak Forest. The lots are very nice, and it's very close to St. Pius.

The only thing you have to be careful about is getting too close to the bayou at TC Jester. Those homes did flood during Allison, appox. 1-2 blocks closest to the bayou.

Check out this MLS listing on www.har.com MLS #7525519

(I tried to copy but it wouldn't let me)

This is new construction in Oak Forest. The lots are very nice, and it's very close to St. Pius.

The only thing you have to be careful about is getting too close to the bayou at TC Jester. Those homes did flood during Allison, appox. 1-2 blocks closest to the bayou.

For that kind of money, I'd buy in Garden Oaks...bigger lots and more trees.