FEMA extends housing benefits

FEMA screws up again. They should've waited until the last few days of February to make this announcement so that all the people who were able to provide for themselves had the opportunity and motivation to do so. Then a smaller group of people truely incapable of supporting themselves would still have been receiving support. The last thing we need is to continue to foster (and transplant) the culture of poverty and hand-outs that had been prevalent in New Orleans.

I also heard that there is another $600 million available for New Orleans, and Ray Nagin has failed to do the paperwork to ask for it yet. Has anyone else heard about this ?

I believe you too. They told him to evacuate on friday and he sat on his ass. Money? he's scratching his head now...

I believe you too. They told him to evacuate on friday and he sat on his ass. Money? he's scratching his head now...

Good point <_<

Yo TheNiche, do U really think FEMA matters to those who are capable of working but don't? It really doesn't when you think about it. When FEMA stops, it will give many the capability to complain, then look for some other type of government aid such as welfare. This is like seperating the men from the boys. Those able to find work would be able to find it within 2 years after moving to Houston, while those who refuse to can help keep HPD busy. Do U think anyone who lived in N.O. and depended on the government when they had a body healthy enough to work but refused to will magically start working after their FEMA stopped coming in after two years? FEMA wasn't available before Katrina.

There's a few out there who really need FEMA at this time...people who need the assistance WHILE working, or the disabled and elderly. The single-mom or dad who moved here from N.O. with 2 kids and working 40 hours-a week deserves government assistance. She's doing something to help herself and her family, and deserves the support.

Yo TheNiche, do U really think FEMA matters to those who are capable of working but don't? It really doesn't when you think about it. When FEMA stops, it will give many the capability to complain, then look for some other type of government aid such as welfare. This is like seperating the men from the boys. Those able to find work would be able to find it within 2 years after moving to Houston, while those who refuse to can help keep HPD busy. Do U think anyone who lived in N.O. and depended on the government when they had a body healthy enough to work but refused to will magically start working after their FEMA stopped coming in after two years? FEMA wasn't available before Katrina.

There's a few out there who really need FEMA at this time...people who need the assistance WHILE working, or the disabled and elderly. The single-mom or dad who moved here from N.O. with 2 kids and working 40 hours-a week deserves government assistance. She's doing something to help herself and her family, and deserves the support.

I recognize that there are people out there who really do need FEMA assistance, and I wasn't advocating the complete withdrawl of it. But they shouldn't dole it out so readily, either. There are people out there who are able to work, but won't unless their standard of living is threatened. So the trick is to tell everybody that the funding will be cut off on a certain date, and then announce an extension only days before it actually is cut off, but after people have already started making lifestyle changes in anticipation of their financial need.

This was what was communicated by Jeff Stys of the local United Way. This is the guy that has been managing services provided to the refugee population by their organization.

Good point <_<

I worked briefly at the FEMA recovery center off 610/Wayside during the summer and was an eye witness to quite a bit of unethical shenanigans many of the people walking in the door were pulling. Not to say all of them but the majority yes. Now that I think about it I should have kept a recorder under my table or filmed the things going on. The only truly traumatized folks I felt sympathy for were the elderly. They were being rounded up like cattle and thrown in with an element unseen. Some of the older people were just breaking down crying and shaking from fear of the hoods they were having to be with. On some occasions some passed out or collapsed from fatigue. The younger set carried on like it was a festival or free for all. Women sporting fresh new tattooes and glitter purses and mile high stilletto heels. Majority of men right out of AMW or cops, I didnt know clothes could be so baggy. Seemed like everyone even children had cell phones & I-pods? Are those emergency items? The worst part was how they were being placed in housing in areas of Houston that were already historically known for high crime (SW Hou). Several of these desperate people came in stoned, reeking of booze or high. A few let it slip out that they were selling vouchers for cash to buy party supplies? There were computers readily available for job searches almost every time I walked past adult men were watching rap videos? I thought the lowest part was that these adults were setting such a bad example for the children they were dragging along. To lie, steal, cheat. Ok, I've said enough now. and no I am not exaggerating either. :(

Archived