News From The...

News from the food and drink front

Avenida Paulista Churrascaria has stopped serving after only eight months in the competitive Houston restaurant industry.

The upscale Brazilian steak house at 5851 Westheimer near Fountainview was launched earlier this year by owners Steve Oldham and Joe Heeb, who have developed restaurants in Colorado, New Mexico and Utah.

A sign on the restaurant's door originally stated that the restaurant was "closed for temporary repairs." But that sign has since been replaced with a new one that reads "closed for non-payment of rent." - Allison Wollam

* The problems keep mounting for Cabo, the original Mix-Mex grill.

Earlier this year, Cabo Downtown at 419 Travis filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. And now the owners have shuttered the Montrose location.

Brothers Michael and Anthony Roberson opened the restaurant at 1111 Westheimer at Yoakum in mid-August, but didn't attract the attention of the young, hip neighborhood.

According to a statement by Mike Roberson: "The limited partnership known as Cabo Montrose LP, in an attempt to maximize their investment, have decided it was in their best interest to accept an offer to purchase the assets of Cabo Montrose LP."

He added that the closing and sale of assets at Cabo Montrose LP is not related to the Chapter 11 reorganization of Cabo LP. - Allison Wollam

I thought this location was quite successful as Crossroads Market, a gay coffee shop. I think the reason that Cabo didn't make is that they didn't court the gay community. If there is even a rumor that an establishment is not friendly, people will stop going. On the other hand, they charged for chips and salsa. This is a cardinal sin in any Mexican restaurant in Texas.

it seems you have to have a connection with the montrose community in order to have longevity. look at baba yega's, they didn't have good parking for years, nor did they have frontage on a main thoroughfare and have remained popular for longer than the ten years i've been eating there. consider, la strada, parking has been a nightmare for years, yet la strada remains a premier montrose eating (errrr drinking) spot.

maybe cabo was too much of an outsider, not to mention their financial troubles (regardless of what the article said).

On the topic of restaurants - does anyone know the name of a restaurant or deli on the west side which serves South African cuisine? There was an article in the Chronicle about it 1-2 weeks ago; it had burned a year or so ago, and recently reopened.

I mentioned having seen the article to a friend from South Africa, and he's keen on going there.

You are thinking of Leibmans. Memorial @ Dairy Ashford.

It's a wine, food, gifts and deli sort of place, kinda like specs.

Used to eat there all the time before the fire, and it never struck me as SA, just good food. They have a lot of perpared food you can take home. I love their salami and blue cheese on frech bread.

Memorial at Dairy Ashford.

Linkage: http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/dining/2925633

Archived