Delano City Views

Great Scott, 305K! Those old homes in the background won't be around long at that price.

I do like the design...very early 21st century B) , especially with that "observation deck". I wonder if the next step for urban builders is a 2 story observation deck to pop over this version? That wedged shape would be a goner in a hurricane though.

It's hard enough heating and cooling properly a 2 story home. Anyone know how life is in a 3 story? And that roof deck must be sweltering in the summertime.

I happen to drive by that site not to long ago, should be interesting to see who's brave enough to move in.

There has been an abundance of 3 story townhomes as of late, and I've always wondered what they were like as far as the heating and cooling issues go.

In regards to hurricane/Tropical storm issues, if it's engineered well enough, it should be just fine.

The style (particularly the cedar or cedar-look trim) looks a lot like the new townhomes on W Alabama. A friend of mine bought one of those and man are they sweet. :)

http://www.aiahouston.org/Home_Tour2005.cfm

Collaborative Designworks

The 505

505 West Alabama, Montrose area

The 505, a 4-unit townhouse project near the redeveloping mid-town area, began as an experimental exercise to explore the possibilities of architect-designed projects within the economic and market constraints of speculative housing development. The 505 sought to be financially successful while making responsible use of land, incorporating sustainable design principles, enhancing community sensibilities, and possessing an architectural identity. The property was eligible for 5 units, but only 4 were built to leave space for yards and reduce shared walls, which allowed for more windows that provide views and abundant natural light without sacrificing privacy. Natural cross-ventilation, exceptional day lighting, permeable ground coverings, stack-vented rain screens, sustainable materials and finishes, and tankless water heaters give the project an environmentally responsible footprint.

In regards to hurricane/Tropical storm issues, if it's engineered well enough, it should be just fine.

I was meaning just the roof deck portion with that flat side facing a CAT 3 or 4......whoosh......... :ph34r:

^ I wonder if the "green" elements are extra costly to incorporate or if their relative rarity is mostly due to builders not understanding the principles involved.

I wonder if the "green" elements are extra costly to incorporate or if their relative rarity is mostly due to builders not understanding the principles involved.

I've heard that a few builders have tried it out, but that consumers don't seem to recognize the value. It may also be that the sales agents don't know anything about it, and thus, can't effectively inform their clients. All it takes is one weak link in the information chain, and then the price looks excessive compared to traditionally built developments that are otherwise comparable.

That was one thing I was going to mention, a deck without any cover in houston is like....ASKING to be thrown into an oven.

I am wondering what they would consider "environmentally friendly" aside from the tankless water heater.

I've heard that a few builders have tried it out, but that consumers don't seem to recognize the value. It may also be that the sales agents don't know anything about it, and thus, can't effectively inform their clients. All it takes is one weak link in the information chain, and then the price looks excessive compared to traditionally built developments that are otherwise comparable.

True. It'll take time to catch on but, if there's real value in it, everyone will catch up quickly.

And the project that travelguy_73 mentioned above..I like the way they allowed for more light with less units. Light really becomes a prized possession in dense city situations. Check some of the listings in NYC, for example (I visit this site sometimes). Any significant light entering the brownstones is usually mentioned and skylights seem to be another desired feature.

I have found that heating in cooling the 3 story homes isn't very difficult. I think having the small roof/attic to home ratio might make a big difference since a lot of your heat gain comes from attic? Also, I am planning on wrapping my next project in the radiant tyvek home wrap. I guess its like tech chield for your sheathing? That could help a good portion for homes with sun exposure. Of course attached town homes are pretty efficiant just by the fact that they are attached therefor giving attached walls no radiant heat gain. Also, putting the ac in air conditioned space as well as the ducts can make a big difference. My goal is for the avg guy to have a summer electric bill below $100 on my next project at Rusk and St. Charles. The project I am on now should see avg summer bill at about $120ish. These numbers would be based on a 1700-1800 sq foot home.

My goal is for the avg guy to have a summer electric bill below $100 on my next project at Rusk and St. Charles. The project I am on now should see avg summer bill at about $120ish. These numbers would be based on a 1700-1800 sq foot home.

$100 bill...that's 666.7 KWh at $.15/KWh That's great!

$100 bill...that's 666.7 KWh at $.15/KWh That's great!

Yeah, maybe I did spout off a little there? Lets see though? Like I said, its a goal. I just wish I could get some of thos $ incentives like Austin has for solar energy panels. My BIL got $10K or so from austin energy by putting in solar panels!

Yeah, maybe I did spout off a little there? Lets see though? Like I said, its a goal. I just wish I could get some of thos $ incentives like Austin has for solar energy panels. My BIL got $10K or so from austin energy by putting in solar panels!

Have you had your designs & construction techniques looked over by one of those energy consultants? It would probably be well worth the $$ spread over 10-20 units. Combine that with properly installed and tuned high eff. A/C components and you could probably beat $100/mo

We are doing an upgraded zoned hvac system with fresh air return and programmable t-stat. Beating $100 in the summer will be close but yeah it might be done?

I have not had an energy consult look at these. Is that where they do the blower air gap test?

Just because you're using good, efficient HVAC equipment doesn't mean it will have a high installed efficiency. Poorly sealed ducts, or an incorrect refrigerant charge can kill efficiency.

Yes...but they can probably also suggest materials and techniques to make things more efficient.

...my next project at Rusk and St. Charles.

Ah, so you're the one building beneath the WALD sign? I think you should definitely put rooftop terraces on those. That'd make for a very unique setting, what with WALD looming overhead.

Of course...in a hurricane...with winds out of the east... :unsure:

We are doing an upgraded zoned hvac system with fresh air return and programmable t-stat. Beating $100 in the summer will be close but yeah it might be done?

I have not had an energy consult look at these. Is that where they do the blower air gap test?

Are the supply/return ducts located in the walls flex duct or a hardened material?

Just because you're using good, efficient HVAC equipment doesn't mean it will have a high installed efficiency. Poorly sealed ducts, or an incorrect refrigerant charge can kill efficiency.

Yes...but they can probably also suggest materials and techniques to make things more efficient.

I am really leaning on my hvac contractor to do a good job? I am working pretty closely with them and will ask them about what the correct refrigerant charge is for this unit.

I am really leaning on my hvac contractor to do a good job? I am working pretty closely with them and will ask them about what the correct refrigerant charge is for this unit.

The correct charge shouldn't be a number...such as 4.593 pounds...they should outline their charging process...which should involve checking temperatures and pressures, then referring to a chart supplied by the condenser manufacturer.

Ah, so you're the one building beneath the WALD sign? I think you should definitely put rooftop terraces on those. That'd make for a very unique setting, what with WALD looming overhead.

Of course...in a hurricane...with winds out of the east... :unsure:

The rooftop terrace is a given. I want to see if I can get some of those awning/covers that look a little like sails? for the rooftop as an upgrade? I don't even know where to look for them though. I see some bars have them like the wetspot on w grey so that might be a resource?

Hurricane from east regarding the Wald sign? That sign has been there for a long time but I guess you never know?

"Are the supply/return ducts located in the walls flex duct or a hardened material?"

They are flex, no way to do hardened in these houses without some significant interior fir downs. Althoug I may do a few exposed truss houses in this project which would make using the hard duct easier?

"Are the supply/return ducts located in the walls flex duct or a hardened material?"

They are flex, no way to do hardened in these houses without some significant interior fir downs. Althoug I may do a few exposed truss houses in this project which would make using the hard duct easier?

flex duct doesn't last long-term. It is considered cheap. Homeowners would most likely have to open up the walls to facilitate replacement. The most efficient systems used a hardened duct.

• 2 weeks later...
flex duct doesn't last long-term. It is considered cheap. Homeowners would most likely have to open up the walls to facilitate replacement. The most efficient systems used a hardened duct.

I really don't think it would be easy to do hard duct in these homes? If you could I don't see people paying extra for that in the price range I am in when I am already high priced per foot? The regular duct should certainly last 20-30 years? Why would they care when the average person in one of my homes will only be there for 3-4 years?

I really don't think it would be easy to do hard duct in these homes? If you could I don't see people paying extra for that in the price range I am in when I am already high priced per foot? The regular duct should certainly last 20-30 years? Why would they care when the average person in one of my homes will only be there for 3-4 years?

You are right, flex duct should last 20-30 years. Fabricated sheet metal or spiral metal duct are an upgrade and need to be sealed and insulated correctly. Even some of your better HVAC contractors wrap the insulation on too tight, thus causing the metal to sweat and drip out of the grilles. The insulation needs to be sealed tight but loose and poofy to the touch on the outside. Lined ductwork can be a problem with mold, but unlined tends to be noisy, so that's why most builders use flex duct. Flex duct quality has improved recently. Specify an industry standard type, like "Flexmaster".

Archived