Slab Repair on the Cheap

The foundation work on my Eastwood home is complete. I decided to just shore up the back part of the home, which was very low, and leave the front of the home alone as it was at about the right height except in one place where it was a couple of inches too high. I then had beams placed underneath spots where the floor was sagging in order to give more structural support to load bearing walls. By cutting a few corners, I was able to turn a job that had been quoted as high as $11k into a $5.5k job.

I was concerned that I'd have bricks breaking off of the walls, and although new cracks did form or become more visible in some spots, none of the bricks came down. I'm very satisfied with the results.

The contractor advised me not to hire anyone out to fix the slab supporting the addition because there were ways that I could do it myself. He recommended that I get a good weather sealant and fill the crack as well as possible. Then he mentioned that there is a product that can be mixed with water in a big vat to create a liquid with a buttermilk-like consistency that can be poured on the bare slab and allowed to pool up to the point that the substance is level across the slab from end to end. It then gels and hardens with time. At that point, the slab is still cracked, albeit filled, and the floor is effectively level.

Question #1: Does anybody know the name of this buttermilk-like product?

Question #2: Has anybody tried this? If so, how well did it work out for you?

• 4 weeks later...