High Times

San Francisco gets it. Isn't it Houston's turn?Link

No, because Houstons way of thinking is:

We already have the hieight, other cities are just trying to catch up to us.

Or, I didn't know it was a race to see what city has taller buildings.

Houstons clam to fame is it has more theater seating then any other city in the US besides NYC, and that it has the third largest skyline in the US behind NYC and Chicago. What will it have once all theses other cities catch up? Pretty much every article writen about Houston says something about those stupid theater seats and its getting old, creat something new!

I'm more intrigued by the proposed $1 billion transit center.

That Houston's getting? Where? Do you have a link?

And since when are decisions based off what's written in articles? Of course I would like to see some more height, but not for that reason.

Plus, another reason why we haven't built another scraper is probably b/c we have room to build out, unlike SF

No, because Houstons way of thinking is:

We already have the hieight, other cities are just trying to catch up to us.

Or, I didn't know it was a race to see what city has taller buildings.

Houstons clam to fame is it has more theater seating then any other city in the US besides NYC, and that it has the third largest skyline in the US behind NYC and Chicago. What will it have once all theses other cities catch up? Pretty much every article writen about Houston says something about those stupid theater seats and its getting old, creat something new!

When will people stop talking about this stupid theater seat BS? The official claim is "the second most theater seats in a concentrated theater district" or some such nonsense, anyway. That does not mean we have the second most theater seats. It means we have the second most seats available all close together. It's based on four venues in close proximity -- a very nice amenity, to be sure -- but to make Houston out as some great theater town is crazy. And the implication that we are somehow in the same league as New York is comical. There are more theater seats on one block of 45th street in Manhattan than in all of Houston, I'd bet. I'd also bet that the LA area -- if you took an area radius the same size as the city of Houston from a point in Downtown LA -- has many thousands more theater seats than Houston. Same for Chicago, I'd bet and probably several other cities.

It's like a baseball stat, the way it's worded. Like saying, "he bats .400 with runners in scoring position on Wednesday games in July of odd numbered years during low tide that start before 1:00 pm". Notice the GHCVB (the people who put out this stupid stat, I believe) doesn't say we have the second most productions or the second highest attendance -- just the second highest number of seats. They wouldn't say it so weirdly if they weren't trying to twist it.

Actually the theater district is an OK stat. No problem with that. But that's definitely not Houston's famous contribution to the world. When Houston realized it is too hot to play baseball in Texas in the summer, a bold move to build a dome changed sports forever. Now we have the two retractable roof ball parks plus one Astrodome that waits its fate.

I am eager to see a few renderings of new skysrapers going up downtown. We have a lot of residential highrises going up, especially on Clear Lake, Galveston Bay and the Gulf. But we need a couple of really cool skyscrapers to go up downtown. I think Houston is actually ready with the low vacancy rate downtown. Maybe some news soon. :blush:

And news on a 1 billion dollar transit center???

Archived