Inner-Loop's Population

What is the current Inner-Loop population and density? The last figure I could find hovered around 400,000, but that was in the 1940's. Houston has more than quintupled in population and the Inner-Loop is now much more densely populated.

The most current information comes from CoH's data concerning the 88 Super Neighborhoods of Houston in 2000.

Anyone more informed of this than I am?

What is the current Inner-Loop population and density? The last figure I could find hovered around 400,000, but that was in the 1940's. Houston has more than quintupled in population and the Inner-Loop is now much more densely populated.

The most current information comes from CoH's data concerning the 88 Super Neighborhoods of Houston in 2000.

Anyone more informed of this than I am?

I was just looking at that figure last night. I want to say that its in the high 400's. Between 480,000 and 499,000.

The densest parts of Houston are around Hilcroft in the "Gulfton ghetto" and the inner parts of the beltway go figure around Bellaire and Beechnut or new Chinatown.

The Niche, that is the number I have always had in my head with the loop's population and yes that was a couple of years back when I saw that original number. I would not be surprised if it has grown by then. The densest part of the inner loop I believe is the Montrose. In 2000, the area hovered around 8600 people per square mile, I am sure it is higher than 9000 now.

The densest parts of Houston are around Hilcroft in the "Gulfton ghetto" and the inner parts of the beltway go figure around Bellaire and Beechnut or new Chinatown.

The Niche, that is the number I have always had in my head with the loop's population and yes that was a couple of years back when I saw that original number. I would not be surprised if it has grown by then. The densest part of the inner loop I believe is the Montrose. In 2000, the area hovered around 8600 people per square mile, I am sure it is higher than 9000 now.

Actually...and I'm glad you found this post for me because I wasn't able to...I goofed.

My intuition was absolutely on the mark, but I accidentally read the employment table instead of population. As of 2005, the Inner Loop population was estimated at 485,430. Employment was 565,527.

Actually...and I'm glad you found this post for me because I wasn't able to...I goofed.

My intuition was absolutely on the mark, but I accidentally read the employment table instead of population. As of 2005, the Inner Loop population was estimated at 485,430. Employment was 565,527.

Just curious... where did you find those numbers?

So, would you say that Houston's inner-loop population density falls in the 5k-10k people per sq./mi range (on average)? Maybe that's too high.

More in some places, less in others. The inner loop is a strange place. Some parts of it, like the northeastern, eastern, and northwestern areas, are nearly unpopulated because of all the industrial land uses. Most of the residential areas are at least 5k per sq. mi. Montrose and the East End seem to have the highest inner-loop densities.

But then, that's nothing particularly special. Significant parts of The Woodlands, Cinco Ranch, Copperfield, Clear Lake, Spring Branch, Kingwood, etc. have densities at or above 5k per sq. mi. And southwest Houston between 610 and 6 just blows away the inner loop for density.

More in some places, less in others. The inner loop is a strange place. Some parts of it, like the northeastern, eastern, and northwestern areas, are nearly unpopulated because of all the industrial land uses. Most of the residential areas are at least 5k per sq. mi. Montrose and the East End seem to have the highest inner-loop densities.

But then, that's nothing particularly special. Significant parts of The Woodlands, Cinco Ranch, Copperfield, Clear Lake, Spring Branch, Kingwood, etc. have densities at or above 5k per sq. mi. And southwest Houston between 610 and 6 just blows away the inner loop for density.

So what do you think the average density for that area is in how many sq. miles. Just an estimate.

I calculate a land area of 96.96 sq. miles, which comes to 5,006 persons per square mile on average.

Not bad.

The Vickery Meadows district in Dallas has a population density of 57,897 people per square mile.

I think Houston's most densely populated neighborhood has around 33k people per sq.mi.

Just to compare, Manhattan has 69k people per sq.mi and the most densely populated community in the country has 74k (somewhere in New Jersey).

Edited by shinoda28107

Not bad.

The Vickery Meadows district in Dallas has a population density of 57,897 people per square mile.

I think Houston's most densely populated neighborhood has around 33k people per sq.mi.

Just to compare, Manhattan has 69k people per sq.mi and the most densely populated community in the country has 74k (sonewhere in New Jersey).

It depends on how you define neighborhoods. I came up with a pretty good algorithm a while back, but it is too labor intensive to have to use over such a large area as Houston.

But if you break things down by block group, there is one small spot in Houston that tops 70k people per sq. mi. The larger you make your defined areas, the fewer outliers there are, of course.

It depends on how you define neighborhoods. I came up with a pretty good algorithm a while back, but it is too labor intensive to have to use over such a large area as Houston.

But if you break things down by block group, there is one small spot in Houston that tops 70k people per sq. mi. The larger you make your defined areas, the fewer outliers there are, of course.

Very true. It's just like trying to justify definitions of urban areas, though on a more diverse scale.

Can you apply your algorithm to an area familiar and less labor intensive to you? Just an example.

Edited by shinoda28107

Very true. It's just like trying to justify definitions of urban areas, though on a more diverse scale.

Can you apply your algorithm to an area familiar and less labor intensive to you? Just an example.

Perhaps, but even for a pretty small area, like the inner loop by itself, it'd be a pretty big undertaking. I'll do it for $5k, if you're interested. And yes, I'm serious.

• 2 months later...

Houston isn't nearly as dense as older cities but it also isn't as sprawly Inside the Loop as a first glance at the numbers might suggest.

There are HUGE parts of land inside the Loop that have zero residents. Start with the major parks like Memorial and Hermann. Add in golf courses like the Wortham and River Oaks Country Club. You can also add in the entire Texas Medical Center (The Favrot Tower is student housing but there are pretty much no official residents at the TMC). Then there are a few large campuses (Rice, Texas Southern, and U of Houston). Then there's the port area and all the other heavy industrial usage zones.