James Brown Dead At 73

houstonmacbro

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2006/SHOWBIZ/Music/12/25/james.brown.obit.ap/vert.james.brown.gi.jpg

ATLANTA, Georgia (AP) -- James Brown, the dynamic, pompadoured "Godfather of Soul," whose rasping vocals and revolutionary rhythms made him a founder of rap, funk and disco as well, died early Monday, his agent said. He was 73.

Brown was hospitalized with pneumonia at Emory Crawford Long Hospital on Sunday and died around 1:45 a.m. Monday, said his agent, Frank Copsidas of Intrigue Music. Longtime friend Charles Bobbit was by his side, he said.

Copsidas said Brown's family was being notified of his death and that the cause was still uncertain. "We really don't know at this point what he died of," he said.

Full article here

One of the greatest showman there ever was. Saw him live on about four different occaisions, was one of the greatest shows I ever saw. The Music World has lost a huge influence, and a huge part of history. There will never be another like James Brown. Rest in Peace Brother James, you will sorely be missed. A very Sad day indeed......

I have a lot of his old LPs and he was the hardest working showman of all time. I will play one of my James Brown records on the day when he is laid to rest. God bless :closedeyes:

I have a lot of his old LPs and he was the hardest working showman of all time. I will play one of my James Brown records on the day when he is laid to rest. God bless :closedeyes:

Is it just me, or are we having a weekly celebrity death rotations here.

Sad, unexpected celebrity deaths, minus the Hanna-Barbera guy, who was pretty old (95 I think)

james brown's music has always been superbly annoying. i can positively say that i have never had any affection for his music. i did not know him; therefore, i cannot comment on his personality.

all i remember is him yelling "YEAH!" bum pa dum dum............"YEAH"........dum pa dumm dumm.........."YEAH!"....and so on.

i've never understood his relevance to anything.

"He was, literally, an impossible act to follow: The Rolling Stones were said to have been terrified to come on after Brown in "The T.A.M.I. Show," a 1964 concert that appeared on film the next year. ("Nobody could follow me," Brown told "T.A.M.I. Show" director Steve Binder, according to a Los Angeles Times article.) Brown's performance in that show even earned an ovation from the backing band.

"You have the Rolling Stones on the same stage, all of the important rock acts of the day, doing their best -- and James Brown comes out and destroys them," producer Rick Rubin wrote in Rolling Stone. (i-Report: Your thoughts on James Brown)

His influence was broad and deep. He was a soul innovator, bringing a churchy rawness to R&B with his early hits "Please, Please, Please" and "Think." He essentially created funk with mid-'60s songs such as "Papa's Got a Brand New Bag," "I Got You (I Feel Good)" and "Cold Sweat." His grooves were sampled by rappers and hip-hop artists. (Gallery: James Brown through the years)

He was tough on his own backing band, the Famous Flames -- which included saxophonist Maceo Parker, guitarist Jimmy Nolen and drummer Clyde Stubblefield -- famously fining them if they missed a cue. They even walked out on him in 1969; Brown simply recruited a new band, which included bassist Bootsy Collins. (Many of the Flames later returned; they were renamed the J.B.'s.)

He provided the ground that much of black music -- much of pop music -- stands on. (Story: James Brown's greatest hits)

"James presented obviously the best grooves," rapper Chuck D of Public Enemy once told The Associated Press. "To this day, there has been no one near as funky. No one's coming even close." (Watch "The Hardest Working Man in Show Business" do his thing Video)"

that explains it. i don't like rap or hip-hop. i do see why he is revered in those circles. it sounds as if he was a perfectionist as well. i can admire that.

that's the thing though, his influence wasn't just rap - he was a huge part of the late 60's rock movement as well. The who covered please, please, please for their first album, led zeppelin had several songs that they later said were heavily influenced by james brown funk, and the beatles as well even loved the soul of his music - george harrison said his favorite cover of "something" was when james brown played it. and those were just a few of ther major groups. His influence is far beyond just hip hop and R&B.

The ex-President of CBS Frank Stanton also died. At 98, I guess it was time. He is the guy that came up with the distinctive CBS eye logo in 1951 and he was the brainchild behind first broadcasting a Presidential Debate in 1961.

CBS-LOR.jpg

Edited by TJones

• The title was changed to James Brown Dead At 73