ABC 13 KTRK get a New Reporter

Chris

I feel bad for the FNG over at 13. What is it that he did?

The probability of that clip being at the NEXT company party is pretty high, I'm sure.

basically he forgot that he was working for a new station and used the call sign of his old employer...and then he realized he did it and said a near expletive because he was frustrated at himself.

LOL.

Poor guy, I was listening to CNNHN (on XM!), I was listening to the Airline Travel guy (Who now works for Flight Explorer.com) and was signing off as "...expedia.com" and covered it very well by simply playing it off and said, "ohwell, some habits are hard to break." (it was several months since the change)

THAT is a way to try to be graceful. ;)

I did laugh, though.

LOL.

Poor guy, I was listening to CNNHN (on XM!), I was listening to the Airline Travel guy (Who now works for Flight Explorer.com) and was signing off as "...expedia.com" and covered it very well by simply playing it off and said, "ohwell, some habits are hard to break." (it was several months since the change)

THAT is a way to try to be graceful. ;)

I did laugh, though.

Been there. Done that. I signed off once, "92-Seven K-O-J." Unfortunately at the time I was working for a station across town called "K-104." Oops.

basically he forgot that he was working for a new station and used the call sign of his old employer...and then he realized he did it and said a near expletive because he was frustrated at himself.

Dude, that SO needed to be on youtube, what a shame I missed that one, I wonder if Isaiah caught that? :lol:

It happens to everybody in broadcasting

Sooner or later it happens to everybody in the broadcasting business. It's just one of those things.

And it doesn't just happen to newbies. It doesn't matter how long you've worked in a particular place, those old call letters will just slip out for no reason you can explain. It's usually funny when it happens, but the last time it happened to me it wasn't funny. Back in the early 90s, I was working the evening shift at KTRH doing hourly newscasts during the sports call-in show, and at the end of one of my casts I signed it off "Im Filioscotia, KPRC News". (not my real name of course)

It had been fifteen years since I worked at KPRC Radio in the early and mid 70s, but for some reason, those old call letters just came out of nowhere and I didn't even know I'd said them until I heard myself saying them.

As I said, it's usually funny because people who've been in the radio business any amount of time know that it's unintentional. However, at that time, 1991, let's just say that the person I was working for had not been in the business very long and knew nothing of those small inadvertant flubs radio people stumble over from time to time. This person thought I did it deliberately, and reamed me from one side of the building to the other for saying that other station's letters on KTRH. That person is no longer in the radio business. I am.

Archived