Emergency HAIF Plan

OK. I realize I very well may have no life for even coming up with this. But it occured to me just a minute ago that we should have a plan incase this site got rear-ended, hacked, or whatever you wanna to call it. This actually occured several years ago. I should know - I was there. And the resulting trauma left me with permanent phsychological damage. Ok, "damage" is maybe a little strong. But it was a dark phase in many of our lives. It even made the Dallas forum news, if I recall. So here is the plan, which is actually what everybody did anyways. I just thought it would be kinda weird to bring it up as a topic worth talking about, because as we all know, many of us are actually losers. Which explains why you are continuing to read this right now. And I mean that in the best possible way.

Here is our HAIF evacuation and recovery plan:

1. Log in to HAIF and notice that it doesnt work.

2. Log in again to convince yourself that it really doesnt work.

3. Begin the "denial" process by resorting to Alcoholism.

4. Attempt life in the "real world" and do the things that non-losers do on a daily basis.

5. Meanwhile, "editor" is frantically attempting to put the site back together

6. Log in again, and notice that it still doesnt work, days later.

7. Panic.

8. Depression.

9. Acceptance.

10. Later in life (which may take days), log in for kicks and giggles, and notice that, surprisingly, the site is up again.

11. Restart your account and restablish your old handle (This brings a soothing feeling to others who read your handle)

12. Cherrish the moments that HAIF is online, and never take it for granted again.

The editor backs up everything now to a external hard drive so everything wont disappear forever . Does anybody have a screenshot of the old forum? i never saw it :(

The editor backs up everything now to a external hard drive so it shouldnt be like last time. Does anybody got a screenshot of the old forum? i never saw it :(

2112 sits next to Marty, puts his arm around him, and in a conforting voice says "I know. I know. It's over now"

Did it look like Little Billy's Forum Posting and you... :lol::lol::P

The old forum was really quite robust. It had 25,000 messages when it went away.

The current forum has a little better redundancy:

Two mirrored hard drives so that if one goes down the other takes over.

A monitoring device that notifies the staff (actual staff, not me) if the server goes down. The server room is staffed 24/7/365 with actual humans and lots of spare parts.

Redundant connections to national providers AT&T, Sprint, Global Crossing, Level(3), and regional provider PitX.

Air conditioning provided by two Liebert 30-ton climate control units, and two additional 10-ton units to help with crosswind airflow. All with separate ducting.

Battery backup from two redundant 1000 kVA Liebert Uninterruptible Power Systems. They can keep the server running for four hours in the event of a power outage. If that isn't enough, there are two 1.5 megawatt Detriot Diesel generators with enough fuel on-site to keep things running for a couple of weeks.

The hard drive is backed up daily by the hosting company.

The databases are backed up daily by me and once a week placed in my kitchen cupboard next to the peas.

The old forum was really quite robust. It had 25,000 messages when it went away.

The current forum has a little better redundancy:

Two mirrored hard drives so that if one goes down the other takes over.

A monitoring device that notifies the staff (actual staff, not me) if the server goes down. The server room is staffed 24/7/365 with actual humans and lots of spare parts.

Redundant connections to national providers AT&T, Sprint, Global Crossing, Level(3), and regional provider PitX.

Air conditioning provided by two Liebert 30-ton climate control units, and two additional 10-ton units to help with crosswind airflow. All with separate ducting.

Battery backup from two redundant 1000 kVA Liebert Uninterruptible Power Systems. They can keep the server running for four hours in the event of a power outage. If that isn't enough, there are two 1.5 megawatt Detriot Diesel generators with enough fuel on-site to keep things running for a couple of weeks.

The hard drive is backed up daily by the hosting company.

The databases are backed up daily by me and once a week placed in my kitchen cupboard next to the peas.

Good to know that HAIF will still be running when the rest of civilization has been wiped out by nuclear armageddon.

The editor backs up everything now to a external hard drive so everything wont disappear forever . Does anybody have a screenshot of the old forum? i never saw it :(

It was glorious. All my best posts were on there. I've never recovered.

Does anyone remember the "Culturally Advanced" quiz?

You know, sadly enough, I remember that day!

I went the site...and nothing.

figured it was no big deal.

couple of hours later...nothing.

I think it continued for a day or so, then I was prompted for my p/w.

nope. Denied.

I tried again. a bit more panicked.

Damn! where was 2112's #? (found it days later)

got the shakes and wandered over to 'segway chat'.

still wasn't able to login, started a new account.

It must have been up only a few hours for me to get my account number, though.

surpisingly it was quite traumtic on my end when I saw nothing.

I need a life.

what kind of peas?

green peas? black eyes peas? split peas?

I'm don't like peas much. I can handle the green ones if they are swimming in salt and butter. I'm more of a "frijole" guy myself. But that's another story...

OK. I realize I very well may have no life for even coming up with this. But it occured to me just a minute ago that we should have a plan incase this site got rear-ended, hacked, or whatever you wanna to call it. This actually occured several years ago. I should know - I was there. And the resulting trauma left me with permanent phsychological damage. Ok, "damage" is maybe a little strong. But it was a dark phase in many of our lives. It even made the Dallas forum news, if I recall. So here is the plan, which is actually what everybody did anyways. I just thought it would be kinda weird to bring it up as a topic worth talking about, because as we all know, many of us are actually losers. Which explains why you are continuing to read this right now. And I mean that in the best possible way.

4. Attempt life in the "real world" and do the things that non-losers do on a daily basis.

7. Panic.

8. Depression.

9. Acceptance.

10. Later in life (which may take days), log in for kicks and giggles, and notice that, surprisingly, the site is up again.

11. Restart your account and restablish your old handle (This brings a soothing feeling to others who read your handle)

12. Cherrish the moments that HAIF is online, and never take it for granted again.

:lol::lol::lol: It takes a secure man to make fun of himself. Funny post 2112.

7. Panic.

8. Depression.

9. Acceptance.

I think that Editor has pretty much got the HAIF rebuilding process down, but in the interim, we may need to evacuate our Houston membership to the New Orleans forum and settle into one of their Stadia subforums. They owe us one.

Maybe FEMA will give us debit cards (beer and strippers being necessary coping mechanisms for refugee populations, after all) and issue contracts from server manufacturers to toss several thousand new machines into Arkansas mud.

A few days later, with recovery complete, Editor can issue press releases to the AP, Reuters, etc., taking time to throw in some incoherent crap about a chocolate forum, while blaming the state and federal government, and asking for several billion dollars from them.

with frijoles, come pedos and that's cause for an awkward moments.

True. But I've taken the science of "pedos" to the next level, with and inventory of techniques to mitigate just such a moment. Take the "one cheek sneak" for example, where you grab one cheek, lift it, and wha-la, no sound whatsoever. I practice this variation daily, and it has become a staple in my farting repertoire.

Can anybody post a rendering of what the old forum look like? if not was the background color blue like is now?

thx Marty

It looks pretty much the same as it does now. Same color scheme and same layout. It probably looked the same before the crash as it did when you first joined. We do have some neat new features and things like that now though.

While in the UK I had no access to the forum from any computer. I went through most of the steps outlined by 2112. I really did think that there was another incident and the forum was down. When I arrived back to the states I was delighted to see that everyone was still HAIFing.

Well, I go back this weekend and hopfully HAIF is running smoothly there. If I don't post for one to three months yall know that I have no access and am soarley missing all my fellow HAIFers

Archived