Houston Land Clearings Thread

With all the land clearings going on around Houston, I thought we could list and continuously update them all in one thread.

The one stuck in my head now is 59s @ Weslayan. There's a huge chunk of land right there where they tore down that old brown building. Any info?

Sauce.

Edited by 77017

Went to Best Buy on Gessner and 59South and the mega auto dealership next to it is gone. Used to be a Sam White dealer. Passed by daily when I went to school since the 80's. Sad to see it go. Kinda reminds me of the old Gillman dealership when it was cleared.

With all the land clearings going on around Houston, I thought we could list and continuously update them all in one thread.

The one stuck in my head now is 59s @ Weslayan. There's a huge chunk of land right there where they tore down that old brown building. Any info?

Sauce.

It'll be a medical office building serving Twelve Oaks Hospital. There's a big billboard that you can see nearby when driving eastbound on the Southwest Freeway.

The land is cleared there next to Surprises where Central (Galleria) Ford used to be on Westheimer. Also the corner of Allen Parkway and Montrose is finally cleared.

A.P. @ Montrose? Not W. Dallas @ Montrose?

How big is the Galleria Ford Tract?

Did you ever sell that couch?

Sauce.

if you are talking about the nw corner, where the hotel and office building use to be, dinerstein is building apartments.

link 1

link 2

A.P. @ Montrose? Not W. Dallas @ Montrose?

How big is the Galleria Ford Tract?

Did you ever sell that couch?

Pretty sure A.P. @ Montrose, Ill recheck. You know what though? It does take the whole block, so yeah I guess you could say W.Dallas @ Montrose. Across from the Cemetary.

4 acres maybe, pretty big now that it is cleared, didn't look so big when it had buildings on it.

Sold the green couch awhile back to a very nice young lady, so I know it got a good home.

Edited by TJones

Antoine @ Tidwell.

Gigantic.

I'm guessin apartments, its the hood.

The land on Montrose from Allen Parkway to Dallas is going to be a Muslim Center. Looks pretty nice actually. They are not calling it a mosque, which I do not know the difference. See posting on the Montrose Board for more details and I posted a Chronicle article and others posted pics of similar ones in other cities.

You kiddin me?

What about that old warehouse on Allen Parkway? They've started tearing it down. I assume they are going to put up another apartment complex.

yep, the robinson public warehouse/sears building

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...?showtopic=8403

last time i went by, it was about half gone - the property closer to w. dallas is all gone

No news on what's going to happen with the old Astroworld site? They cleared pretty good, but now grass is starting to cover it.

yeah - that article is a good recap of the articles that have been published to date...

The Aga Khan is Shi'a. The Shi'a sect of Islam do not call their religious structures mosques, though they are not offended if one calls it that. They rarely incorporate a minaret, which is only a decoration anyway. A mosque is not an Islamic "church". It is used for communal prayers but that is not its primary use as Muslims are not required to attend a mosque to worship. They are used as gathering places and as religious schools. Most have libraries. In Muslim countries people sometimes use the mosque to do homework as they are usually well-lit and cleaned regularly. The Shi'a center in Sugar Land was also funded by the Aga Khan Foundation and is on a large parcel of land north of 59. The architecture is a striking (and beautiful) example of modern architecture. I would expect the new site on Allen Pkwy to be similarly engaging and an asset to the streetscape. Does anyone know if an architect has been chosen?

Theres another thread call Going down (destruction of trees thread) Post your finding. ''Quick hide your duplicate threads here comes the thread Nazi" :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by Marty

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...