Petroleum Grad With Dog Where To Move?

AustinGrad

My fiance is a petroleum engineer looking for a job in the Houston area, but we're from Austin and don't really know much about Houston.

Basically I need a 1 bedroom under $850. A duplex/townhouse/something with a backyard would be cool for the dog, but she lives in an apartment now so that would be fine too.

The most important thing is safety, and of course the budget.

Any suggestions of areas to look?

My fiance is a petroleum engineer looking for a job in the Houston area, but we're from Austin and don't really know much about Houston.

Basically I need a 1 bedroom under $850. A duplex/townhouse/something with a backyard would be cool for the dog, but she lives in an apartment now so that would be fine too.

The most important thing is safety, and of course the budget.

Any suggestions of areas to look?

Most likely, work will be in the Uptown or Energy Corridor area, I would think. That's all on the west side -- and easily within your price range. From out on I-10 (energy corridor) to the West Loop (Uptown) there are literally thousands of available places that should meet your criteria. Find a realtor or apartment locator (they're free) and look around.

One possible job place to look that is off this beaten path is Total Petrochemicals, Downtown. European company -- great environment, great place for engineers to show their creative side a little. DOWNTOWN offices. Rents will be higher, but the work environment might offset that.

Good luck and welcome to Houston.

Edited by dalparadise

Most likely, work will be in the Uptown or Energy Corridor area, I would think. That's all on the west side -- and easily within your price range. From out on I-10 (energy corridor) to the West Loop (Uptown) there are literally thousands of available places that should meet your criteria. Find a realtor or apartment locator (they're free) and look around.

One possible job place to look that is off this beaten path is Total Petrochemicals, Downtown. European company -- great environment, great place for engineers to show their creative side a little. DOWNTOWN offices. Rents will be higher, but the work environment might offset that.

Good luck and welcome to Houston.

Anywhere between downtown and Highway 6 along Interstate 10 will be a good bet for him, but I'd recommend a more central location. You might find a great job in an offbeat place, and it would suck to commute from the Energy Corridor to Clear Lake or The Woodlands.

Btw, Total is far from the only one downtown, and Chevron will be moving everybody downtown soon enough.

You can also check the Med Center area. It's VERY convenient to downtown, and if you work out in the Energy Corridor, you'd be "reverse commuting"...driving against the heavy inbound traffic.

That's what I do...I cover my 17-mile morning commute in 15 minutes.

In my opinion, Houston is very safe. We've had a lot of negative publicity over rising crime rates, but the majority of that is between drug dealers. It seems that most of the increase in crime has occured out west in the Westchase District (not far from the Energy Corridor) and down the Southwest Freeway around Sharpstown and in the Gulfton apartment ghetto.

I live across the freeway from the Med Center, and we haven't noticed any increase in crime...it's a very safe area in my opinion.

To the Energy Corridor?

No...I would NEVER take a job in the Energy Corridor. Unless the job came with a private helicopter ride to and from work.

I work in the Westchase area.

Of course, the times that I do take I-10 outbound in the mornings, it's not too bad. Usually I only go as far out as the 610 Loop, which is smooth sailing (70-80 mph the whole way). I don't travel outside the Loop on I-10 very often in the mornings, but when I have, it's been an easy drive. I could imagine making it out to the Energy Corridor at a mile a minute.

I've known quite a few people who moved greater distances for jobs in the oil industry. They liked living centrally (in West University/MuseumDistrict rentals) and commuting over the course of their careers to all the possible energy job locals, the I-10 Energy Corridor, the buildings near the airport (IAH), downtown, and WestChase (Brown and Root, now Halliburton), or the Woodlands (Anadarko).

Some stayed and bought homes in these central areas; some moved to the 'burbs.

I always like this approach to Houston: start central, then decide. Learning this city from the 'burbs is difficult -- you'll be inclined to stay out there and never venture forth into the more historical and (my opinion) interesting parts of town. Then, you'll get older, have kids, and never learn about where you live. That, to me, seems like a loss.

If you feel like 'burbia is the most fun you could ever want, then start there. If you want a little different experience, start centrally, learn the city, then decide.

The other plus to this approach is that you can reverse commute anywhere with relative ease. If you hunker down too far out in any direction, you'll not want to take the job on the opposite side of the larger circle of the Houston 'burbs...that could be psychologically limiting.

No need to worry. You won't be able to afford downtown on that budget.

And if you find a job downtown just live in the burbs near a park and ride.

You could probably get a place downtown at the Houston House for around $800. I stayed there for 4-5 weeks a few summers ago. Luxury living it is not, but it does have a strange charm. It's almost like a La Corbusier inspired Public Housing Project gone right.

• 2 weeks later...

I walk my dog at Hershey Trail near Eldridge and Memorial. There's these townhomes there that seem to me would be nice to live at because you live right by the trail and they're located right between I 10 and Memorial which is conveniant.

I take it your fiance did not intern his senior year with anyone, or he would already have a job, here are you some good leads to people who are desperate for help.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Send your resume to:

Dana M. Banovitz Dana.Banovitz@cenergycorp.com

Rocky Mountain Representative

Cenergy Corporation

Office: 303-751-9881

Cell: 970-331-8001

www.cenergycorp.com

Dana works for one of the largest players in the Energy placement services, she is out of the Denver Office but she is a hustler and is very well networked, she has plenty of contacts in the Houston Area, she can have you working within 48 hrs. Tell her I sent you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

K&M Technology

26110 Oakridge Drive,

The Woodlands, TX 77380

Phone: (281) 298-6900

Fax: (281) 298-6875

Speak with Randy Ireland

randy@complexwells.com

Randy is another good guy that could possible get you placed with one of the big players, feel free to drop my name if you like. The presidents name is Mike Mims and he is a great guy that started from the ground up.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Larry Crest - President and CEO

New Tech Engineering

281-951-4333

lcress@newtecheng.com

I went to college with Larry and worked with him for years in the industry, before he started this company, he is very good people and will have you working with in a day or two at the most. I know this company very well as I am a fellow alumnus with everyone one the board of directors and most of the managing engineering staff. Here also is a contact that will get right with you and is easier to reach than Larry at times.

Eric Omenson

Business Development & Resource Manager

281-951-4333

erico@newtecheng.com

Tell Eric I sent you. You will get treated very fairly here and they will get you placed in a comfortable position that fit your needs as well as the clients.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you prefer to deal directly with the oil companies here are some contacts (feel free to drop my name):

Glenn Bowman

Goodrich Petroleum

Project Engineer

713-225-0876 Ext. 137

Glenn is a friend and former colleague that can fix you up with Goodrich if they are needing someone.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Joe Garcia

Drilling Manager for Texas

Peoples Energy Production

713-890-3641

Worked with Joe and this is another straight shooter that can put you in touch with who you need to talk to at Peoples Energy if they can use your services.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

William J "Bill" Billman

GOM Manager

Mariner Energy Inc.

(713) 954-5500

Bill is a great friend I worked closely with over the years, won't find anyone nicer.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steve Bosworth - Drilling Manager

Anadarko Petroleum Corporation

1201 Lake Robbins Drive

The Woodlands, Texas 77380

832-636-1000

Steve will likely have to put you through the channels at Anadarko and have you post a resume at the HR dept. so here is their email in advance employment@anadarko.com, Preston Johnson Jr. is the V P of Human Resources, anyway it is nice to have a contact name. Steve's boss is Bob Daniels, and he is the Senior V P of worldwide exploration, for Anadarko Petroleum.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you click on the link in my signature below, it will take you to my website, where you can go to the clients page and it will give you links to many of my clients web pages that you can send a resume to. Or if you wish I will be glad to post your resume on the network and get you in touch with a potential employer. I charge nothing for doing it, unless you take a position on one of my projects, and in that case I charge the client for providing you to them. Good luck a feel free to drop me a line with any questions.

Mark F Barnes P.E. CSP, CHMM

Barnes Consulting Services Inc.

As far as where to live, you need to talk to the masses here, I prefer to live out in the woods and commute. I drove from out here to Texaco downtown for many years, and would rather the drive than the life in the concrete jungle, but that's just me. I got up a 3 am drove in early 72 miles on an 1 hr and 15 minutes and left early around 2:30 or 3:00 pm and slid out before traffic got bad. I wouldn't recommend it for everyone, it's just the way I wanted it. There are enough people here to get you placed in a good area, there are about 20 or so Realtors on here as well. Of all here I would recommend J Scarborough he seems to be a real straight shooter and is getting a one-stop shopping type of Agency going that can handle everything from finding you a property to the title work and even get your grass cut.

Good Luck

• The title was changed to Petroleum Grad With Dog Where To Move?