Fantasy Developments

Guest danax

Let's put aside real-world economics just for fun. Is there a certain spot in town that you've thought would be perfect for_______ if ____ wasn't there already?

2ptpbpw.gif

I'd like to put maybe 2 or 3 10 story residential buildings on land just to the left of that star. I'd stagger the buildings so that one building wouldn't block the other's views.

This is currently a no-man's land of 100 year old shacks and raw land. It's a special spot as the Brays and Buffalo Bayous merge here, and the Ship Channel begins. Views would include DT to the west, the petrochemical skyline to the east and rivers below. With my profits, I'd convert old Harrisburg's main drag of Broadway into a funky retail/cafe zone. The proposed commuter line from Clear Lake will pass by somewhere near too.

The design would be 1920s Art Deco as homage to the annexation of Harrisburg in '26.

The design would be 1920s Art Deco as homage to the annexation of Harrisburg in '26.

I would make them 26 stories for the year and i would go with the 1920's Art Deco.

I would make them 26 stories for the year and i would go with the 1920's Art Deco.

Capital idea, old chap! And maybe buy the guts of the River Oaks theater when they knock it down for the lobbies.

Let's put aside real-world economics just for fun. Is there a certain spot in town that you've thought would be perfect for_______ if ____ wasn't there already?

2ptpbpw.gif

I'd like to put maybe 2 or 3 10 story residential buildings on land just to the left of that star. I'd stagger the buildings so that one building wouldn't block the other's views.

This is currently a no-man's land of 100 year old shacks and raw land. It's a special spot as the Brays and Buffalo Bayous merge here, and the Ship Channel begins. Views would include DT to the west, the petrochemical skyline to the east and rivers below. With my profits, I'd convert old Harrisburg's main drag of Broadway into a funky retail/cafe zone. The proposed commuter line from Clear Lake will pass by somewhere near too.

Just across the bayou from there is/was the old New Terminal Warehouse. This is the big angular four-story brick warehouse on the east side of Broadway and the railroad track. It sits on over 20 acres, including the point that juts out into the confluence of the Brays, old Buffalo Bayou, and the Ship Channel.

A French scrap metal company with one facility already in northeast Houston was looking to expand and determined last year that this was the land that they needed. The new owners loved the warehouse and the location, and spent a big chunk of change looking into whether the building might be feasible for conversion into office space for themselves and others or loft apartments. But the warehouse itself had some pretty extreme limitations, including 7-foot ceilings. Weird, yes, but it wasn't built for human occupancy, but for cotton. They considered knocking out every other floor to end up with a two-story builiding with about 14-foot floors, but the cost would've been way too high. The last time I'd driven by it, many months ago, the northern part of the building was being demolished. Too bad.

I would've liked to have seen the whole site redeveloped. And the unique location probably would've supported it, too. The trains don't even blow their horns near there because the tracks are grade-seperated.

2ptpbpw.gif

that's the pine valley area?

that's the pine valley area?

No, macbro. Pine Valley is near Wayside & Griggs. This is the former town of Harrisburg, now just a faceless ghostown.

I forgot to mention the name of my development. Since it's on one of Houston's few peninsulas, I might call it Peninsula Point, or make it reaally cool and spell it Pointe. Nah. Maybe Pointe Harrisburg or The Pointe at Harrisburg. You get the pointe.

2nssu94.jpg

Had to claim it before anyone else would...

Turn one of them into a Power House/Industrial looking club, housing the largest disco ball in the world... :rolleyes: It would eventually put Houston on the map, as one of the hottest club destinations in the world, hosting big festivals/events. As the Hardy Project grows up around it, the one on the right would have a cafe/resteraunt, retail on the ground floors, and some offices above.