This is a dumb idea

Houston1stWordOnTheMoon

[sigh]

Niche, do yourself a favor and google the Kissinger Plan from 1975 about "Seizing Arab Oil". I realize this was a bit before your time, so I will just chalk it up to youth.

Now, as for your inability to gauge the stock market, well, that's another problem. I won't tell you how to invest, but I will say that MY Exxon stock is up over 150% from when I bought it....plus dividend reinvestment. :D

Sometimes, it is better not to think too hard about these things. ;)

If your stock is up by that much, then either you got in during a very brief low spot in late 2002 or you've been holding onto it for a long time...in which case your year-over-year returns are significantly lower than mine.

As far as the Kissinger plan goes, you'll note that 1) it was never implemented, 2) it wasn't seen as a Plan A, B, or C, but was pretty far down the list of options (real politik), 3) bore in mind that there were competing superpowers and ideologies at that time--can't ignore Cold War politics, and 4) wouldn't work today because the Cold War is over, capitalism won out, and global markets and free trade flourish.

But hey, I'll forgive you for these mistakes...I'll just chalk it up to old age.

How does one forsee something that has already happened? The invasion began in March of 2003.

Oh, ****. You're right. I'm thinking of Reliant Resources (RRI).

But I do recall that I tried to time the start of the war, and thought that it would happen sooner than it did. I figured that they'd go in during the late fall to take advantage of relatively more favorable climatic conditions for the troops. And I remember being wrong. Hold on, let me check the exact date.

EDIT: Purchased XOM shares in August 2002.

Edited by TheNiche

Bought mine in September 2002. Loaded up some more in April 2004, when oil started jumping. It has gone up $35 since then.

As for Kissinger, it was not implemented in the mid 70s due to domestic turmoil. However, every president, including Carter and Clinton has been briefed on it, and generally agrees with the basic premise, that being that the US economy is oil based, and the Middle East controls an outsized percentage of the world's oil. The Middle East is inherently unstable. Therefore, the oil supply, and ultimately the economy is unstable.

Kissinger's goal was to install friendly (puppet) governments in the Middle East, with US forces permanently stationed there to keep them in line. The first time US forces were able to enter the Middle East was Gulf War I. They never left. Permanent bases are being built in Iraq now, complete with swimming pools and permanent buildings.

With Russia nationalizing it's oil supply, Venezuela already having done so (free trade, my arse), and China working deals with everyone who is pissed at the US, those troops are NEVER coming out of Iraq or Kuwait or Saudi. You tell me why they would?

Edited by RedScare

Bought mine in September 2002. Loaded up some more in April 2004, when oil started jumping. It has gone up $35 since then.

As for Kissinger, it was not implemented in the mid 70s due to domestic turmoil. However, every president, including Carter and Clinton has been briefed on it, and generally agrees with the basic premise, that being that the US economy is oil based, and the Middle East controls an outsized percentage of the world's oil. The Middle East is inherently unstable. Therefore, the oil supply, and ultimately the economy is unstable.

Kissinger's goal was to install friendly (puppet) governments in the Middle East, with US forces permanently stationed there to keep them in line. The first time US forces were able to enter the Middle East was Gulf War I. They never left. Permanent bases are being built in Iraq now, complete with swimming pools and permanent buildings.

With Russia nationalizing it's oil supply, Venezuela already having done so (free trade, my arse), and China working deals with everyone who is pissed at the US, those troops are NEVER coming out of Iraq or Kuwait or Saudi. You tell me why they would?

As I'd stated in a previous post:

Red, the reason for going into Iraq clearly wasn't oil. If all we wanted was for Iraq to contribute more to the global supply of oil, we and the UN would've called off the embargo. Problem solved. Then we'd be getting as much oil as the market could bear and there wouldn't be nearly as much price volatility. I mean, Saddam may have been a jackass to his people, but he wasn't known for professional instability.

We did more to increase oil prices and to make them more volatile than OPEC could ever have done without members of their carel cheating. And moreover, we aren't seizing oil and the WTO will (hopefully) take care of the trade issues in pretty short order.