Oldest Buildings In Houston

SunKing

6965789796_340b5c2e32_z.jpg

The house where I grew up, in its original state, a bit over 100 years ago.

I actually live very close to where my grandparents owned a house in the 1910s/1920s. Midtown used to be an upscale residential area. I'll see if I can find any info about their residence.

If you can refer to Kayzer's post from June 2, 2008, that house has been dismantled and rebuilt at 210 Westmoreland where it still stands to this day.

That's the Waldo Mansion. It was moved from downtown to Westmoreland & Garrott in the early 1900's. Some scenes from "Terms of Endearment" were filmed there in the '80's.

I have instantly fallen IN LOVE with the No-Tsu-Oh festival!! We should bring it back, and incorporate the Art Cars!! We could have a short, nighttime parade that starts at Discovery Green, and ends at Market Square. It would be a great move to promote Houston Preservation. Anyone else interested in this? Seriously???

No-Tsu-Oh festival would be an interesting event to return or at least the name. Quirky and old school mix.

Not too long ago (probably around the time of this topic's origin) there was a rolling party (not extacy, but it was a party that would move monthly) called notsuoH.

This party has transformed into a club/bar on 314 Main.

And here I thought the party (and later club named after the party) was clever!! they were only about 110 years late to the party!!!

NoTsuOh is more of an indie/hippie/bohemian coffee shop than a club/bar. I think the first time I went was in 2001, and went occasionally for many years. I haven't been inside since probably 2007. I walked by a few weeks ago; seemed to still be open, although I didn't go inside. I have some photos of the interior from back in the day if anyone is interested.

Yeah but the origin was a festival. It's great to discover about Houston's past. It would be another event that can easily incorporate Art Cars, and have a parade that celebrates the unique history that is Houston. Having a parade that connects Discovery Green (the epitome of 21st century achievement so far in Downtown Houston) to Market Square (the centerpiece of Houston's early government and commerce) would be very cool. No better way to preserve and honor the past than to educate people about it, and have fun doing it!

• 10 months later...

I posted some of this info in the Images of old Houston thread, but I thought it deserves a thread of it's own. What are the oldest buildings still standing in Houston? I know there must be more in the downtown area - here's what I've been able to find so far:

1) If my research is correct, the oldest building still standing in Houston is located at 813 Congress (LaCarafe) built around 1845.

2) Second oldest building - the Travis Building (TreeBeards) built around 1870

3) Annunciation Church - dedicated in 1871.

4) The Cotton Exchange Building - built in 1885.

....others?

Treebeards is getting a new mural. I can't tell what it's going to be yet, but it's very colorful.

• The title was changed to Oldest Buildings In Houston

Archived