Southmayd Elementary School At 1800 Coral St.

We are planning a celebration for the 70th anniversary of Joanna Kent Southmayd Elementary Schools 70th birthday & have been unable to locate a picture of Mrs. Lawhon , who was principal from 1940-1969. Also a good picture of the school from 1940-1950 era. If anyone has any, please post them for us to use.

Much thanks.

We are planning a celebration for the 70th anniversary of Joanna Kent Southmayd Elementary Schools 70th birthday & have been unable to locate a picture of Mrs. Lawhon , who was principal from 1940-1969. Also a good picture of the school from 1940-1950 era. If anyone has any, please post them for us to use.

Much thanks.

Welcome to the forum, BuffaloGal54. Funny that you mentioned Southmayd's history yesterday. I was at the Pecan Park Civic Association's annual barbecue at Ingrando Park (formerly Southmayd Park) and I overheard a lady there (was it you?) going on and on about the history of Southmayd Elementary and who Ms. Southmayd was (she was the first school teacher in Houston dating back to the 1830s I believe). I didn't get a chance to speak to her but now I'm guessing she had something to do with the celebration that you are referring to.

When is the celebration? The daughter of the woman who was a newlywed in my house in 1939 attended Southmayd in the 40s but, unfortunately, I've lost contact with her as she is now in a rest home. I could possibly get in touch with her again but it might take awhile.

Southmayd Elementary is a nice Art Deco era building that I, as a resident of the neighborhood, am proud of.

Welcome to the forum, BuffaloGal54. Funny that you mentioned Southmayd's history yesterday. I was at the Pecan Park Civic Association's annual barbecue at Ingrando Park (formerly Southmayd Park) and I overheard a lady there (was it you?) going on and on about the history of Southmayd Elementary and who Ms. Southmayd was (she was the first school teacher in Houston dating back to the 1830s I believe). I didn't get a chance to speak to her but now I'm guessing she had something to do with the celebration that you are referring to.

When is the celebration? The daughter of the woman who was a newlywed in my house in 1939 attended Southmayd in the 40s but, unfortunately, I've lost contact with her as she is now in a rest home. I could possibly get in touch with her again but it might take awhile.

Southmayd Elementary is a nice Art Deco era building that I, as a resident of the neighborhood, am proud of.

No that wasn't me at Ingrando Park, but I am the person that researched Joanna Kent Southmayd's history & am involved in planning the celebration. It is scheduled Saturday November 11th at the school. I had an article in the Chronicle East End Community section back on October 5th , which gave a little of the info. regarding the celebration & my research. I would love to know who the person is that you know that went to school at Southmayd in the 40,s, as that is when I was there. I attended Southmayd 1942-1948 , then on to Deady & Milby. We would love to see more Southmayd ex's at the festivities. Those planning to attend can let me know at maxjac@msn.com

• The title was changed to Southmayd Elementary School At 1800 Coral St.