Bastrop Housing

Heights2Bastrop

I think there's more high-ish density housing in Austin than you were led to believe. A friend's mother lives in a condo in Austin, and I saw a few other similar developments while we were there.....and we were by no means driving around looking at real estate.

What part of town is your house?

Yeah, it was waiting ten minutes to cross 71 from Childers EVERY DAY that drove me crazy.

The strange thing about Bastrop is that you have country folks living next to hippies who have spilled over from Austin. It creates kind of a weird vibe. I think I would have enjoyed my experience there a lot more if I was living north of the river rather than south. One great thing about Bastrop that the folks in Austin will never have is the smell of those pine trees when the first dry, cool day in autumn hits.

• 2 weeks later...

My grandma lives off of old Austin highway in a small neighorhood down by the river. She loves it. She's less than a 1/2 mile from the HEB, the old HEB/walmart stripmall, and the supersized Walmart, but once you turn down the dirt road down the slope of the river you'd never know. They've built a neighborhood with standard detached housing you'd find anywhere right next to her little neighborhood, but it's hidden by a huge over grown undeveloped lot that will stay that way. She lived in an old house that was originally in Austin but she cut it in half and moved it down the highway. It's been a great place for her to retire and I have many fond memories being there.

If you wanted more seclusion though, and I'd suggest the other side of the river from the development on the highway.

Bastrop was so stupid to not build feeder roads and allow development to front the highway. It's practically a glorified boulevard now. I wonder if they'll eventually have to build a spur like La Grange did.

Archived